DESPERATE! Sewing on patches!

GKM, what you describe undoubtedly yields an extremely nice result - no visible stitches, no gaps. I'm glad you have the patience to do that - I wish I did. But I don't, so I cheat and use the machine. Thanks for sharing such explicit directions.

The transparent thread does tend to break a little if you're not careful, but if you don't try to hurry it works pretty well. For those of you who haven't tried it, transparent thread is sort of like fine fishing line.

Then there are the temporary or changing patches. My boys are into the OA. It seems everytime they go to an OA event they come back with a new pocket patch. Plus, the boys position patches seem to change often.

We cut out a piece of plastic (usually from a plastic milk carton) that is the same shape as the patch but a little larger. We purchase ribbon bars from the PX store. Those are bars with pins on each end that is used on military uniforms for the ribbons that they have above the pocket. You push the pins of the bar thru the plastic, and then sew the patch to the plastic. Next trim to fit the patch.

It makes it easier to change the patches. You can also take them off before washing.

If you have several hats to wear and you can't afford several shirts for each hat (I know I can't) then this makes it easier to have your postion patch match your "hat of the day".

Personally I don't let anyone use my sewing machine but me. So I usually do the patches. It is one thing I like to do for my boys... this includes my husband. **smile**

Amazingly, my hand method doesn't take more time and patience than the machine, but probably LESS. With the machine I've got to thread it with the right color and make sure I've got a bobbin, pick out and pick out lots of small stitches if I goof.

By hand, though the method sounds complicated, there's no setup, and very few stitches per patch - maybe 8 on a merit badge - and if I mess up, it's a breeze to pull the thread out.

Scoutmom111 notes the problem with pocket patches, and her method sounds good. I don't like the look of the plastic sleeves to just stick the pocket patches in, but using just a plastic backing makes sense. If you're going to sew pocket patches, you can't use the machine unless you want to sew the pocket closed (which probably wouldn't matter to the Scout!). Try the very few hidden stitches method on pockets, when you can't use the machine.

GKM

• 1 month later...

Wish I'd read this topic before I used badge magic on all my patches. Decided I did not like how I placed the Pack numerals, so I used some Goof off to remove them. They came off all right, but of course now I have the residue where they were. Planned to sew them all on eventually, at least I have an idea now of how it should be done.

Thanks!

Tim

Sewing is definitely better.But...

When I was getting ready for Jamboree, the BMgc worked well for me. Nothing has peeled off as of yet. My sons first Scout shirt (outgrown...) was BMgced, but we were able to remove all but a shadow of stain of the adhesive residue this way: Peel the old patches off. Turn shirt inside out. Lay an old towel under the shirt (against the OUTSIDE adhesive). Spray the back side of the stain liberally with WD40. Let it soak in an hour or more. The towel will soak up alot of the disolved goo.Do it again, as you feel led. Wash the shirt BY IT SELF, in a detergent rich wash. Rinse several times.

It should be noted that ,used creatively and with good technique, , BMgc can be used to hem pants, mend rips, etc. rather permanently.

Now, looking back at my Scout career, The original patches had no plastic backing. These were easy to sew on. The modern day patch has plastic backing, which makes the patch look good longer, I guess, but , boy, it is tough to sew thru!!

YiS

The plastic is definitely hard to sew through by hand, but the method of just grabbing a few of the "edgeing" threads from underneath (see my earlier post in this topic) is really easy - not complicated like it sounds.

The first time I had a batch of plastic-backed patches to deal with, I thought the plastic was iron-on stuff, so I ironed the patches and basically melted the plastic to the shirt. It stuck quite well, but when it came time to change patches, nothing would remove all the plastic!

Re removing the badge magic, another idea is goo gone - the stuff works really well.

"Then there are the temporary or changing patches. My boys are into the OA. It seems everytime they go to an OA event they come back with a new pocket patch."

In my area, most OA event patches are issues with button loops, so there is no need to sew them down.

You can get plastic patch holders in various sizes/shapes to deal with changing out temporary insignia easily.

Other patches (like position patches) shouldn't be changing that often.