Scoutmaster Emeritus patch

I know this thread is old, but since someone brought it back to life, I'll add my $.03 worth ( inflation ya know)

Someone suggested a "Emeritus" strip similar to the trained strip. There is in existance a "RETIRED" strip that was identical to the old trained strips sold by national and authorized for uniform wear. Don't see to many of those, and I do not know if they make them to the current specs of the trained patch.

The purpose of the "Retired" patch is for retired PROFESSIONAL scouters, not us volunteers.

Thing is, when a volunteer 'retires' from a position, they no longer hold it, so should no longer wear the insignia for that position.

What you are suggesting is similar to the "PAST Council President" patches and other national office patches of the same type. I don't know if those are even made anymore (they even had collar devices/pins for the old dress uniforms).

Can someone tell me if there is actually a registered position of "Past Council President"?

It would seem to me as relevant as a "Scoutmaster Emeritus" patch.

Just my 2 cents.

• 3 years later...

I had the question posed to me about designing a Scoutmaster Emeritus patch. My solution was to create an Emeritus arc for wearing below any three inch patch.

You can see my design on http://www.sageventure.com/store/blanket.html which is in the middle several rows from the top.

If you are interested, my email address is on the website and you are welcome to contact me.

• 4 years later...

I don't understand the purpose of this item. If the individual is still wearing his uniform, doesn't such imply that he is a currently registered Scouter? And would that not mean he has some other position which would then, naturally, call for a new position patch? It's not as though Scoutmaster is such a revered position that it has to be memorialized while the wearer is still serving in some capacity. I dunno, it seem rather superfluous to me. And if he isn't a registered Scouter anymore, why is he in uniform in the first place? This seems to me like a poorly thought-out idea. No wonder the BSA does not recognize this as a legitimate insignia - it makes little to no sense.

I don't understand the purpose of this item. If the individual is still wearing his uniform, doesn't such imply that he is a currently registered Scouter? And would that not mean he has some other position which would then, naturally, call for a new position patch? It's not as though Scoutmaster is such a revered position that it has to be memorialized while the wearer is still serving in some capacity. I dunno, it seem rather superfluous to me. And if he isn't a registered Scouter anymore, why is he in uniform in the first place? This seems to me like a poorly thought-out idea. No wonder the BSA does not recognize this as a legitimate insignia - it makes little to no sense.

That was my thinking too. Unless the idea is that he wear the SM patch with his patch underneath which, as you correctly point out, would be false advertising. He's not SM so he wouldn't wear the SM patch, would he?

Folks will know if you are a former SM by wearing your Scouter's Key.