Vintage Scoutmaster Jacket

Does anyone know what kind of Jackets were worn I believe prior to the 1950's by Scoutmasters. They have 4 pockets on them, and are worn with a belt. I believe the only insignia is the Boy Scouts of America strip.

I have been trying to track down some pictures, but they are hard to find. BP and Uncle Dan are seen in some old photos wearing them... I have heard that they are called norfolk jackets. Anyone know?

YIS

Norfolk jackets were late 19th and early 20th century British "sporting" wear - they were worn for bicyling, shooting and fishing, so it would make sense that the style was used for an "outdoorsy" activity such as Scouting.

The style was also used for military uniforms, and since the original Scout uniforms were derived from military wear, it would be logical. Norfolk jackets usually have an integral full or half belt. They were often worn with knickers, especially by boys.

Comparing this picture of BP: http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:2tUKNf7twRTsGM:www.geocities.com/culbokieg

with this picture of a Norfolk jacket

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:-4SQjJs4y084fM:static.flickr.com/28/38995163_9589647281_m.jpg,

I'd say it's a possibility that the uniform included a Norfolk jacket.

Although I have long been intrigued by the early jackets, I always itch when I think about them. I imagine them to be wool.

Over the years of collecting Scout stuff, I have yet to see one. I have gone to many places where something like that would or should pop-up but "nada". I don't collect uniforms but I have several just by accident of being in the wrong place at the right time.

I suspicion the jackets to be for professional use in part because of the scarcity. But, if they were in popular use, then the early Northeastern units would have them and so they might be found in Tradeorees in PA or NY.

I have pictures of BP, Uncle Dan and J.E. West but not E. T. Seton in the jackets. I think I have seen the full dress uniform in early ads of BL or the BSHB's but I would have to look again to confirm it.

I admire them. FB

I've been looking for a Scoutmaster's jacket for a long time, but since I wear a 44R, odds are I'll never find a decent one in my size.

I once saw a 38R on Ebay; it went for around $600, if I recall correctly.

So if you ever see one outside of a flea market, expect to pay out the nose for it.

Some places specialize in clothing for military re-enactors -- have you considered looking into them as a possible source?

"Does anyone know what kind of Jackets were worn I believe prior to the 1950's by Scoutmasters. They have 4 pockets on them, and are worn with a belt. I believe the only insignia is the Boy Scouts of America strip."

there were also collar pins worn, which showed your position in scouting. I know these existed for both Boy Scout Leaders, as well as Senior Scout/Explorer Scout leaders.

Mitch Reis has a book on dating Boy scout uniforms and insignia. Go to his page for more info: www.mitchreis.com

• 2 months later...

In the 50's and earlier Scouters had a three piece uniform that looked much like the Naval Aviator's uniform in color and design, an OD/Khaki blouse with a belt, trousers, a shirt, and tie. I suppose the shirt was the old light khaki and the tie a darker khaki, like the ones that went with the pre 80's uniform.

The only people I have ever seen wearing these uniforms were our professionals, and for their annual photos; but I suppose any Scouter could buy them if he were so inclined. I say this advisedly since few Scouters of those days were women, and most of the ones I knew wore the standard khaki shirt and trousers, with occasionally the khaki tie for a more formal look.

Even now, many of our old time Scouters wear the old khaki wool uniforms to dress events, and I am amazed at how many can still get into those old uniforms.

Dave

Dave, welcome to the Forums.

If anyone wants to see a non-professional Scouter wearing the 50s jacket, look for the movie "Mister Scoutmaster" (1953). It stars Clifton Webb, and I can tell you, he looks VERY sharp in a SM jacket. Good enough that I've been on the hunt for one ever since I got back into Scouting, but w/o success so far.

But I'm ready with the OD tie once I find the jacket!

• 5 years later...

Pockets...looka the pockets.

How come the pockets went from the jacket to the trou? I guess YSL didn't like pockets.

I have an old LLBean Baker Park Parka, and I always seem to fillup the big pockets on it. Markers, matches, snacks, notebook, tickets, mittens, interesting pine cone, multi tool, sunglasses, birdbook.....