Uniform Example

For several years my troop has prided itself on wearing the complete uniform. The boys have been involved in so many district and council events that they noticed the name plates that many adults wore over the right pocket. The boys decided that they wanted to make that name plate a part of their uniform too. Once they got them, everyone stood just a little taller.

At summer camp, my troop usually is the only one in complete Class A for evening flag and dinner (including socks and belts). Almost always the other units are in waist-up uniform.

Friday evening, one of my scouts asked me "Why are we the only troop that wears the complete uniform?" As luck would have it, the troop standing directly opposite ours was in full uniform, too: "Are we?" I said. "Look straight across."

At the closing COH on Saturday morning, I was astounded to see every scout in every troop in full Class A. No one has made any kind of a big deal about this (this year or others years), so I have no idea how it happened. (Usually, almost everyone is in civies ready to go home.)

What a sight. I'd like to think that the example we set for our scouts, and the example they set for others, makes a positive impression. The results might not be immediate, but patience is usually rewarded.

oldsm - great story. Yes, I'm sad that so many don't wear the uniform.

Now for some of my pet peeve phrases:

full uniform - similar to what FScouter said about waist up uniform, your are either in uniform or not. Full uniform is redundant.

right hand salute - the boys have started hearing this command and picked up on this bad habit. Is there some othere salute (i.e. left foot salute?) that I'm not aware of?