I'll agree with those that indicate the reason a large number of units go with just a shirt is cost. However, I'll point out the cost issue is not just with scouts. Youth baseball in our town is mostly a baseball shirts only uniform as well, to try and keep costs down. Youth Soccer, same deal. The only sports teams in full uniform are travel teams which represent maybe 10-15% of those that participate and the high school vasity sports.

Now lately, we have seen more of our younger scouts wear both pants and shirt. Why, well now when you go to a troop meeting you at least see some of the adult leaders, including me, and the SPL in full uniform. Several years ago that was not the case.

Setting the example does work, even if you don't notice the results right away.

SA

Why is it that most of the packs and troops in my area decided not to wear the full uniform?

Its been said before and I agree:  Tradition is the biggest reason.  The parents will look to see what the others are wearing and go with that.  Sometimes they will avoid full uniform just so their son will not stand out.  Adult Leaders are just as guilty.  They will wear what the other leaders are wearing.  The Scoutmaster/Cubmaster will set the tone regarding uniforming.  If he/she is partially uniformed, then the others will follow.

Cost does play a big role but is not always the biggest reason.  If costs are a real burden for the boys in your Pack, then start up a uniform closet.  Our Pack has one.  Go to thrift stores and find some fantastic bargains on uniforms shirt and pants.  Weve been able to buy shirts and pants for $2.00 to $3.00 a piece in great condition No Joke.

Our troop only requires belt up. Partly because of the cost of the pants but also because the boys don't like them. They are great for meetings, flag ceremonies, banquets and the such but when they let a designer design the pants several they became a LOOK and simply aren't practical. Can't put anything much in the "cargo pockets". I can manage to put my knife in the pocket but then when I sit down it pokes me in the bend of my hip. They simply need to come out with a pant that is actually outdoor friendly.

Kevin has full uniform. I have an agreement with one of our resale shops that anytime she gets BSA uniforms in she calls me. His last pair of pants cost me $3.00 and looked like they had never been worn. I just picked up two pair of Cub pants for $2.50 each one pair hasn't even had the hem turned up.

When teaching uniforming at Cub Leader Basic Training, the objection always comes up of cost. Yes, these things are expensive, but let's compare. I keep on hand the most recent ad for football uniform gear form Academy, (in the south)or whomever is the biggest supplier in your area, that has every piece form helmet to shoes with prices. To outfit a youth football player is considerably more expensive than a Scout uniform, and most young kids need a ney football uniform each year. How many parents readily fork out big buck for footbal, then balk at a Scout uniform?