Special Should Loops/Epulets

I've seen some scouts with some weird looking shoulder loops. They are red of course, but i noticed that some have special insignia on them. So i asked, and ive found that theres quite a number of troops that have their JASM's, SPL, ASPL'S and so fourth have insignia on their shoulder loops. Does this sound correct to anyone, and if so, where can i get them?

I've not heard of this state-side. In Canada, I have seen similar, but their loops are green for scouts and I can't recall what color they are for Venturers or Rovers.

Members of our local OA Lodge (Madockawanda) have permission from the Council Executive to wear purple epulets at OA functions within the council. Purple is the lodge's official color.

*Please refer to other threads about meritbadges, Uniform shirt collars and Uniform Police*

When I was a CM, I had gentle discussions with parents about uniform use. The uniform is a 'method',yes? The parent would ask why the uniform was important, and I would try to explain how it encourages pride in being a Scout, being part of a greater whole, how it represents to other Scouts (and the world?) what Scouting is about. Done right, it is a walking diploma and billboard. It shows what you've accomplished and where you've been. Hopefully, the First Class Scout looking at anothers First Class badge knows that boy has the same basic knowledge and skills that he has. The uniform sets the boy apart from the rest of the world and also includes him in the rest of the Scout world.

My present Troop, prior to my joining with my son, decided (voted, they tell me) to allow boys who have attained Life rank to wear the red 'activity' shirt to Scout activities as a privilege. They are still expected to wear Class A to CoH and other'formal' occasions, but it has been my observation that there is very little pride in appearance since the red shirts appeared.

When my wife started being drawn into Scouts, taking training for various positions, she noted to me that she thought she got more respect from the other Scouters when she wore a uniform shirt, and more respect yet when she started to have more "frou-frou" on it. Me, I guess I never noticed any difference since I ALWAYS had alot of "frou-frou". I noted to her that the "frou-frou" represented her newly acquired experience and responsibility. Isn't being proud of your accomplishments part of Scout Spirit? Then too, I've met a few Scouters with enough 'frou-frou' that they almost didn't need a shirt to attach it to!I remember one old gentleman at Jamboree who came with eight shirts. He said it wasn't a matter of laundry, he just had too many knots, badges, etc for one shirt. Then too, where's the line demarking being too prideful (a Scout is humble...?)?

I marvel at how some Troops are very Gung Ho about looking good("sharp") and some are really laizzez faire about uniform use. Some get really creative. Full Troops all wearing red berets, all in matching neckerchiefs, etc. I frankly can't see the use of the embroidered loops. Badges of Office are created and worn on the left shoulder, yes? But then the Troop could vote to only wear Chicago Bulls team shorts and T's, couldn't they? Would THAT Troop still be a SCOUT Troop?

We now have matching green T's for work sessions and such. I think the boys like that uniform informal formality.But embroidered shoulder loops? Maybe I need some gold braid on my shirt cuffs...

"that's a very interesting idea which I had never considered before. Council Execs are empowered to make changes to the uniform! How about that! "

Uh, yes and no.

SE have limits. They approve CSP designs, temporary insignia, and crew/ship insignia. they don't get to make radical alternations/additions to the uniform.

A lot of councils have local-approved knots for various things (commissioner college, local awards, etc). All 'allowed' under the above 'policy'. Well, no more. They put out a notice in "ProSpeak" (newsletter to professionals) that SE were NOT allowed to 'approval' local knots. Guess maybe a similiar notice needs to go out about all these spurious shoulder loops?

Just to give the "Absolute Inspectors of all things absolutely by the manual" high blood pressure and conniption fits:

Certain Districts in the Heart of America Council award red,white, and blue epaulet tabs to Scouts/Venturers who form the color guards for three Rountable opening ceremonies. Those epaulets are permanent within the youth program (once you earn them, you can wear them until you age out of Venturing, if you stay in ...)

The Staff at HOAC Scout Camps get special staff tabs for their epaulets. Once awarded they may be worn at the Scout/Scouter's discretion, in and out of season!

:)

In this council, camp staff are considered Council employees, therefore they appropriately wear the grey(silver) loops. They are also registered in a Venturing Crew specifically for camp staff, therefore they wear the Venturing green shirt. The crew unit number is the number of the Council.

There is also a rule regarding "two insignia with the same meaning". If the scout is wearing a position patch on the left sleeve, there is no reason to wear another insignia designating position.

" For our PL, APL, SPL, and ASPL they have one plain red loop and 0ne red loop with green stripes on it that match the bars on the leaders patch. We bought them somewhere in Canada "

Yes! Thats what I'm talking about. Ive seen those, and other variations.

To the various badge police:

I didn't say I have the purple loops myself. You won't find'em on my uniform. But I am a minority voice within this council. You're welcome to hunt these scouts/leaders down at NOAC. After all, it's "Outside the council". :)

Another variation to scratch headabout:

On the local Memorial Day parade, witnessed Scouts and Cub Packs marching. Tan Shirt Epaulettes occupied by both blue and red loops. Webelos Scouts that are still in Pack but dedicated to a Troop?