Defending the Uniform Police

If you are able to point out improper uniforming in a polite and constructive way, I say there is nothing wrong with it. I agree that you should not say anything to a scout outside of your unit. That's the job of their leaders, not yours.

Yah, but it seems like the same applies to adults as applies to kids, eh?

It's the job of the CC, COR, or UC to encourage/prod/enforce a uniforming expectation among the adults in their own unit. It's not your job as an outsider.

FScouter is right, though. No polite adult is likely to make a comment back to a uniform cop. In that way they demonstrate higher courtesy. What they're thinkin' when they walk away is a different matter.;)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CalicoPenn

The Scouter is not and has not been on the membership list of the councils lodge for several years. He may have been a member at one time.

I thank every poster for your constructive criticism of my post. Everyone had valid points and opinions and the conversation appears to be staying civil.

Region 7 Voyageur

I find, paradoxically, that I agree with every thing that's been said here. It depends on the situation. As the opportunity presents itself. Forgiveness and understanding is always appropriate. Maybe we don't know the whole of it. Don't embarass anyone publicly. Set a good example yourself. When in doubt, look it up or ask.

Forgive me, friends, but this sort of discussion always reminds me of... (movie trivia question)

" BADGES? WE DON' NEED NO STEENKIN' BADGES!!"

Ahem...

" Teach.. your Scout to sew... your Daddy's patch... will never fall off...

and see ... him stick his thumb.. he's not so dumb... he'll beg

his motheeeer... and...

don't you stop to ask him why... he'll just look at her and cry..

til she gives in and sews it oooon and he'll tell her "Mooooooom, you

know I love you!! " ( apologies to CSN&Y)

** Is there a sewing mert badge??**

I'm all for the sewing MB!

Shortly after the guys in my son's den became webelos my DL husband taught them to do some rudimentary sewing. They were horrified at first. One actually said, quite loudly, "sewing, ugh, that's women's work!" To which my dear husband responded: "maybe, but if you learn to sew, you'll never need a girlfriend or a wife." "Ohhhh" said all the boys as they picked up their needles and got busy. All of us moms just about bust a gut in the background.

Lisa'bob

Greetings everyone,

"Is there a patch in it for me?"

When BSA creates an adult position patch and registration code for the Uniform Police, count me in... lol

Just joking, just joking!!!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21_Adv

Thanks for the clarification, Region 7. Now it makes sense to me.

As for the movie trivia, the line is from the Mel Brook's movie Blazing Saddles. It is a parody of these lines from the movie Treasure of the Sierra Madre starring Humphrey Bogart: "Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinking badges."

CalicoPenn

Please Please Pullleeeezzeee, no Sewing merit badges, that sounds so girlie and wussy, now, a Tailoring merit badge, that sounds macho

(BTW my son never played with dolls, he had quite a few "action figures" but nary a doll in sight)

Speaking as a COR,

If I hear of a UC in one of the units of my Chartered Partner "enforcing" BSA uniform policy,

THEN ... the DC will be asked to furnish a replacement Unit Commissioner. I will also ask the IH to formally bar said UC from our facilities.

Encourage yes, set an example, yes. Support a "big show" inspection when asked by the unit, yes. ENFORCE? Absolutely not.

The Chartered Partner owns the unit, not the Commissioner's Service.

My Mom taught me how to sew. I just wondering how many of the scouts mom's know how. You can't expect the boy to sew his own patches on right if he was never taught.

If Mom's were allowed to be scouts we'd have great meals on campouts!

ahem Avid...

I do believe girls ARE allowed to partake in scouting. They're called Girl Scouts. Or Venturers. Or SCOUTERS. Lemme tell you though, if I go camping with a troop and they think I should do the cooking (cleaning, sewing, etc.) solely because I'm the female in the group, I'm going to have some words with them.

Lisa'bob

Well, here we are again, debating the way to approach an individual in an incorrect uniform, and as I would expect...all the usual suspects are defending the "right" of a scout or scouter to walk around looking like a bag of rags.

I see that those posting on the side of "anything goes" or "close enough for scouts" are still willing to pick the fly specks out of the pepper!

The opinion of all posting on this are valid and deserve the respect of those responding, but the pontification of several respondents are getting rather old and tired, yes we know you want to do the best for your scouts, bit please lighten up on the measures you threaten to carry out IF the UC/DC/SE/etc,etc..."corrects" a scout.

Have you ever considered that the scout MAY NOT have known that his uniform wasnt right and no one in his patrol or troop had yet pointed the error out to him? Drop the high and mighty and my scouts--my way--buzz off attitude....its way old.

As for the scouters who are incorrect, well....they are adults right? If they want to walk around looking wrong they should be discreetly told in a polite and non-confrontational way, as after all the scouters are supposed to set the example, lets take care of our own and knock off all the anti-uniform police BS.

Thanks Beav!, I'm so broke I cant pay attention so I'll have to see what I can do to satisfy the dues requirement. Oh, I'll pass on the chips and dip thanks, I've got to shed a few pounds for the trek at Philmont in August,..how about some carrot sticks and celery? I would let you know if the "barn door" was open in a polite and discreet way. you are right, the limited choices regarding uniform parts makes it so simple to be in uniform, so why does seem so hard for so few to do it?

I think when it comes to the UP and proper uniforming, we are dealing with three separate issue here:

Knowledge - The scout has to know the proper placement of the proper patches and when to wear or not wear certain elements - MB/OA Sash, necker, hat.

Means - The scout (and his family) have to have the money to buy all the elements of the uniform and have the ability to sew/stick on the patches. And beleive me, I have some single moms that can't sew and can't afford to buy the pants or replace them when they are outgrown.

Desire - The scout has to want to wear the uniform and wear it properly. (This is a set a clothes that he wouldn't be caught dead in at school or in the Mall)

These are all challenges that we face as the UP. Youv'e got to have some understanding, especially in the Means department. And you have to make sure that at least they have the Knowledge. I always say, "If you don't tell them, then they don't know"

And, Lisabob, I was in no way trying to say that there are no females in scouting, or that they should be expected to do the sewing and cooking at campouts. Every female scouter I have ever met has been top notch in my book. It's just my opinion that the scout's mothers are better cooks than they are.