Tired of the discrimination!!!!

I just wanted to wake everyone up to something.

The term Male nurse is considered discriminatory because a person's gender does not affect thier ability to be a nurse.

In the same sense, saying "Scouter" or "Scout" and assuming it's a Boy Scout or affiliated with BSA is also discriminating. Girls/Women are Scouts and Scouters too. I'm tired of so many people, companies, websites and resources promoting Scouting and only doing it for the male half.

Amen Sister (I hope!)

At a recent Council Function a "Universal" worship service was held. I was quite impressed with it, with readings from the old testament, the new testament and the Koran I thought a major effort was made to be inclusive. At the end of the serive the chaplain then asked that all the men and boys present be blessed...

I was atending the function as a Venture Advisor and the young ladies of the Crew really snapped to when "men and boys" was said. They wanted to know why they couldnt be blessed as well. Yes, I know they were teasing, and werent really upset, but it may be time to recognize the enormous contribution made by female scouters and Venturers

And a funny thing happened on the way to my posting...

And I should also point out that all the female members of the crew are girl scouts and through them I have learned a great deal more about Girl Scouts and that knowledge has engendered a deeper respect. They have some requirements for their ranks that BSA should look at.

All those in scouting, whether followers of Lord Baden-Powell or Juliet Gordon Lowe (who turned downed a marriage proposal from Lord Baden-Powell) should be commended for their work with todays youth

And unfortuneately it sometimes works the other way. I've been a registered BSA Scouter for 15 years, and a GSUSA Scouter for 1 year. At a recent Girl Scout camporee I was looked at by many like I was invading a sacred female ritual by some of the women. The girls didn't seem to have a problem, though one girl asked me why I had an official volunteer t-shirt on, not realizing that men can be registered GSUSA leaders. And the adults from my daughter's troop, as well as the service unit leader (like a district commissioner) were thrilled to have me and the two other dads present. I'll keep participating for my daughters sake, and just to spite the others.

Perhaps it's just where I live, but there's never been a problem around here with Scouters = female. There's never been enough willing males to fill all the roles that need to be filled, and women have always been welcomed and valued as leaders. Glad to have them. Without them, the program as we know it would not be what it is.

jmc:

The original post isn't about women in BSA. I too welcome women into the BSA ranks. The problem mentioned is the assumption that "Scout" or "Scouter" automatically refers to the BSA, omitting the GSUSA. I personally can longer ignore the girl side of Scouting... my daughters would kill me.