new Crew uniform... custom patches?

Having started a crew a few months back, i'm looking into some of the accessory patches that don't seem to be available, officially. I have found a site that sells a white with green border, Venture adult leader, trained patch. The scout shop is telling me to use the tan, BSA patch, which I think is not such a great idea. Since the crew can adopt, in theory, any uniform they choose, can't they adopt these modifications to what is officially available? They also make a round, green background patch that replaces the white square Venturing patch that goes under the Flag on the right sleeve. According to my DE, his first thought was the Council would have to approve these changes, which is of course a death sentence, and seems to go against the idea of the crew being able to design their own uniform. Comments?

If you are going to wear official BSA Venturing insignia then it must be on the official BSA Venturng uniform shirt.

You can make up your own recognition patches, as long as they are not copies of official BSA ones, and wear them where ever you want.

With my crew if they earn a bronze or gold award or any official Venturing award they are not allowed to wear them on their crew sweatshirt. Some of them purchased the green Venturing shirt to display them or others created their own display case to show them off.

There are a lot of unapproved official looking patches being sold on Ebay, etc. None of these are BSA approved. Thats my take, has anyone else heard anything different??

These are the patches I was referring to:

http://www.sageventure.com/store/patches.html

Particularly, the adult trained patch, which would look alot better then using the BSA tan trained patch, and the round, green Venturing patch that would replace the square, white patch on the right sleeve. The Corp of Discovery is an interesting idea, although it would compete with the OA pocket flap, but for the girls, it would be a nice additional honoring, depending on how it would be used, they could wear, with the male crew members. When they say a crew can create their own uniform, where does that stop with the green shirt? All of these options work in concert with the rest of the uniform, at least from where I see it.

rar...Hate how hard it is to navigate the online catalog if you don't have the print one on hand. That said, there IS a Venturing trained strip, although it's got the initials of the program name, as opposed to "Trained" on the strip. Same dimensions, however.

Thanks, Kaji.. I believe you are referring to the VLSC trained patch, which is for the youth training, I was looking for something for the advisor(s) and crew committee, who also need training, and I believe should be acknowledged for their effort. The scout shop said there was only the tan BSA patch for that, which is why, I assume this website

(http://www.sageventure.com/store/patches.html) is offering an after market version.

That's not the only item that is not made in colors for the Venturing green uniform. I'm a COR; there is no red patch for me in the Venturing side of the Uniform Guide :(

Uniform is NOT a method of Venturing ... if your Crew wants to go to the expense of small lot "Trained strips" in Venturing colors, I'm glad you have the wherewithal. I have to pay for gas to support all those "hours a week" ;)

Kahits,

Greetings!

SageVenture does offer some great Venturing program information, resources and advice, as well as some cool patches too.

I (and my Associate Advisors) proudly wear the green V, trained Strip. It does not seem to mock the BSA "Scout Stuff" red/kahki Trained Strip, but compliment the uniform. (Of course most of our youth who have attended VLSC wear the VLSC strip)

Regarding the round green patch that you have seen. (And without my Venturing Leaders Guide infront of me). In the earlier versions, the crew could opt to create their own Crew patch to replace the "Large White Square V", the older literature stated it had to be approved by the Council Scout Executive. The current Leaders guide, still have the similar statement in there, but no longer approved via the Scout Executive.

Basically, a crew patch is the same thing as a patrol emblem, but green. It may allow you to stand just a little different than the rest of the Crews in the district. It allows them to rally around thier Crew, like a team. Please look at the back (and in the glossary) of the Venturing Leaders Guide for the comments about the Crew patch and its guidelines.

My crew is currently deciding on which crew designed patch to purchase. As a Scouting friend has said to me, "Scout-appropriate" is our rule for designing it. We are looking to recommend a Council CSP just for Venturing, so it blends in with the forest green just a little better.

Finally, our Crew has purchased the Venturing Sea Scout style of unit numerals from the BSA Supply, and the Venturing Highlights flyer. The other Crews say "NEAT!" when they see our white unit numbers on a black background, instead of the normal white numbers on red. Now if everyone starts wearing the Venturing Sea Scout unit numerals, we might have to think of something different...lol

I hope this helps!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

C21Advisor,

Greetings!

I have a great relationship with my DE and feel he will come to the same conclusions you just shared. I appreciate the clarification on the crew patch, which most certainly is what it is. I don't know if we have time for making our own, but that one certainly compliments the green, which really needs to be worked with. At this point, I want to show these options to the crew and let them decide, which is just my interest to add one more layer of detail before the uniforms are done. I will review those sections and will talk with my DE. I don't think it will be a problem. Creating a custom crew patch is outside of our priorities at the moment, but that big, white, generic square patch really has to go, all things being considered. When you refer to your crew deciding on which crew designed patch to purchase, are you talking about a source that has already created some? If so, can you share that source?

I agree that it does have to be Scout appropriate, but from the patrol patches I am going to have my sons patrol choose from, that term can be a little vague. I like the idea about the Sea Scout numerals, but I'm afraid that color has already been decided, but there are other options. I'll be interested to see what my DE says, and I'm hoping the crew will have an opportunity to make a few aestetic decisions on the final look of their uniform. Thanks for the great advice and encouragement.

Kahits,

Greetings Again!

Regarding our crew patch here. We are planning to purchase from a known manufacturer of Scout patches (patrol, Camporee, special events...)

Our Crew is deciding between the final submissions for our own contest. They were given a month to hand draw. Then another month to create it in powerpoint. Most of the submissions have been similar to the the V hiking trail and mountain top. But with a few Scout appropriate changes and additions like color, trees, campsite, river, and etc.

Another manufacturer makes patrol patches in kakhi, classb.com. They do have a few unique patrol patches as well as custom patrol patches, and they could probably change the backing to forest green. It is worth a try.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

P.S. Don't tell to many Crews about our Sea Scout B/W numerals. We wanna be "That Neat Crew" for a while. lol

All- please stop confusing Venture and Venturing. They are 2 separate programs.

"Basically, a crew patch is the same thing as a patrol emblem, but green."

Uh, NO. A crew patch can be up to 3in in size. Its meant to represent the crew, have a crew logo, along with the crew number. It need not be green. Don't limit yourself by thinking about a patrol medallion. It can be much more elaborate.