New Activity Pants that zipoff and become shorts

Everyone seems to be chiming in on the pants so I will put in my odd comment. I generally like the pants, but I don't care for the way my wallet sits in the back pocket. The mesh pocket seems a little too deep and stetchy. I am planning to shorten the pocket to keep the wallet a little higher.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My same experience, Liz and Vicki. My son is pretty normal build, and for his waist size, the legs were nearly a foot too long. Maybe when National sees the sales numbers, and the boy's pants aren't moving as well, they will offer different inseam sizes, like they do with the mens.

The switchbacks are roomy. I wear a 48 waist, and for once they're not too tight in the seat, thighs, etc. These pants do have a slightly baggier look than the traditional pants, so that might take some getting used to. However, they're great for hiking, squatting, etc. Very comfortable. Two weeks ago I tried them on a 5-mile hike with full pack - they were terrific.

If there's one thing I'd really like to change, it would be to add shorter lengths. The shortest inseam is 30". A 29" would work better for me. I know a number of other scouters who could use a 28" or even a 27" length. Unfortunately, these pants are not easily altered due to the boot zipper. Maybe sell the legs separately...

Are you listening, National Supply?

bucabaker, I had the same problem (as a female type who doesn't carry a purse) - I put my admittedly very slender wallet in the side leg pocket.

Interesting sidenote, as a 6' female of reasonable proportions, I ended up buying men's pants.

Vicki

My guess from the comments is that the adult sized pants don't have the same fit/proportion problems as the youth sizes. If anyone has any idea where I can find a similar product in the right color for a youth size 12 or 14, I'd really appreciate hearing from you.

Liz

Because the switchbacks are a different cut from what we're used to and come in finished lengths, I suggest that everyone try them on at the Scout Shop before you purchase them (youth and adult). Or else be prepared to return them. If you must do mail order, consider ordering a couple of different likely sizes and then return what doesn't fit.

"The new zipoff pants are really neat, but the sizing is really odd. They seem to be made for kids that are tall and slim. The fit in the hips is too tight with relation to the fit in the waist, and the length seems just too long with relation to the waist. "

Yippee! Maybe they'll actually fit my bean-pole 12 year old son then. That's one of several things I did NOT like about the other scout pants. I always have to take gigantic tucks in them to get them anywhere near fitting his waist.

just goes to show you can't please everybody, all the time.

Lisa

There are a lot of comments on here, so I will try to stick to new ones!

1. As for how warm the pants are in the winter time: I think the warmth of the pants will depend on if you associate warmth with weight. If you need heaviness to "feel" warm, then you are going to freeze. However, the pants will dry dry extremely fast, which would be good for being in the snow/rain/sleet etc. I believe if you got a good "roomy" fit pair you could end up putting a pair of fleece pants underneath them or long underwear to feel warmer.

2. I am an employee of a local council shop, and we have had a problem with keeping them in stock, we have re -ordered about 6 times, plus some sizes are on back-order (what seems like forever!). They are selling like hot cakes, so certain sizes you might just have to be patient getting them. I would suggest pre-paying for a size and having them call you when they come in, and then trying them on before you leave the store, to save yourself a trip.

3. We have had everyone try them on, as they do fit differently with the gusset.

4. I have noticed women having the hardest time getting a good fit in the pants. They put way too much fabric in the wrong areas for women in the women's sizes (almost like you could do without the gusset on the women's pants), and they are too tight where the zippers are. Also, the women's pants are too short for me (they only come in a 29" length and a 33" length) and I am 5'6" and not over weight at all! So I wait and wait for the men's small-30" length to come in, and hope those will fit me right.

5. I am curious to find out how everyone feels about the pants after they are washed. I have heard the zipper on the legs ends up "buckling" and then does not feel very comfortable.

6. The swithchbacks ARE official uniform pants. BSA does carry a field shirt that is made with similiar material, however that is considered an activity shirt, not official uniform shirt.

Jens3sons

Field report followup.

We had our district camporee this weekend. Weather went south. Rained and snowed friday night. Saturday we found 30 degree weather and 30MPH wind. I wore the new pants. I dress in layers and had fleece pants on under the pants. Walking around in the fields our legs got very wet. The supplex material really wicked well and dried off by lunchtime. Got wet again marching around the fields after lunch and wicked off by dinner again. Boys in blue jeans and traditional scout pants just stayed cold and wet all day. I was never cold, the new pants are great wind protection, but need a layer of fleece to stay warm.

Another field test from Nephew - he wore them to Webeloree this weekend, it rained hard the whole time. He was not cold, they dried quickly and stayed comfortable to wear. Also - these pants have been washed 3 times in the week that he's had them - they are holding up well thus far.

As a side note - he has said "I'd wear these anyways, even to school". Can we ask for a better youth testament?

YiS

Michelle

A couple of observations from having these for a few activities:

1) The sizing is kinda odd to me. I bought a size 30" XL and was absolutely swimming in them (I normally wear a 42 X 29, which should work). I took them back and got the exact same size and they fit much better. So, those who are saying they're too big or not big enough may want to try another pair. By the way, the length is really long still, but I plan on shortening them by cutting off an inch from the top of the leggings and reattaching the zipper.

2) The shorts are really short. I normally wear my shorts around my knee and these are 2-3 inches too short. I will probably end up not ever zipping off the legs.

3) Living here in the desert, there are a lot of cactus and other prickly plants that just go right through the supplex. I've worn these for 3 activities and already have a few snags.

4) Other than the previous 3 points, I really like them. The material is lightweight and wicks very well. They hold their shape pretty well even after sitting in a pack.

• 2 months later...

Right on the money. Just find it hard to believe such a great organization, geared to our Youth, doesn't test their products on different kid-builts (sizes), Being ex military, I love the pants design to a certain point.. But.. The youth sizes have a lot to be desired, Not all kids are built the same way, but I guess in China they are all the same.. Must have been a great contract to ignore our American Boys...Yes not all of them are tall and skinny.. Great material though.. But The pants were Not made with us in mind..

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for dragging this up again, but I just wore them last night for the first time. Overall I love them. They do seem a little long- touching the floor a bit, and they kinda flare out too much at the bottom which is OK on disco night. I needed some polypro liners for the cool weather. But I do have pants/shorts just like these I have had 2 years now and it's all I wear in summer when not at work. I just wanted to pass along from experience that if you wear just the shorts for extended periods make sure to wash the leggings too because my other brand "shants" don't match anymore! The shorts are faded and the leggings are darn near factory color!