New Activity Pants that zipoff and become shorts

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our local Scoutfitter has the new pants and I took a look at them.

I like the design of them, the color, they are versatile (the zip-off legs are great) and dry fast.

But I don't like suplex nylon. It tears easily, it is cold in the winter (although their design allow you to wear longjohns, etc underneath, and I am very concerned about fire. Nylon usually melts away from a heat source but if it gets hot enough it might melt right to the wearer's skin. Also, nylon suplex to me is too lightweight and feels like nothing. I wore a pair of similar pants on a hike in some rather thick woods that had a lot of thorny vines and tore them up real bad. I prefer heavier cotton field pants - maybe with some nylon in them.

I would also like to see the standard official field uniform pants with zip-off legs.

I won't be buying the new nylon suplex pants unless they make them mandatory. But those of you that like them - well - enjoy.

Some of our cub scout leaders showed up with these at roundup this week. They looked real nice. I think the boys will like them much better than the traditional uniform.

As for the fire concern, they will melt. That's a reality with nylon. I bought an olive pair of nylon zip-offs last year ($50) and melted a little bit around the cuff during a winter campout (Trying to stand too close to the fire). It is a risk, but one I'll take. I don't think the concern of an actual fire is valid, but melting could happen. Probably a good thing to remind boys about.

Owl62,

In that kind of hiking, I would suggest tall gaiters. I don't know what part of the country you live in, but here in the hot, humid south, supplex nylon works pretty well. It breathes, wickes moisture away, and as you mentioned, dries quickly.

We teach "leave the cotton at home" for any kind of hiking, especially in winter. Once it gets wet - from rain, streams or persperation - it takes forever to dry, is heavy, and can sap your heat pretty quickly (hypothermia).

The US military has pretty much banned synthetic clothing from the battlefield in Iraq. The heat and blast from IED explosions was melting the material into the skin and wounds, giving the doctors a lot of extra work in treating the soldiers. I don't think our Scouts have much to worry about with them - they've been pretty well field tested by lots of hikers and campers.

I did a "show & tell" with the new pants. The boys were excited about them.

I'm surprised at the number of posts on this topic - 7 pages! I didn't realize that scout pants were such a hot topic.

An aside: at a recent uniform inspection, one of the boys who was being used as a "correct" example quipped that he was even wearing scout underwear. No one asked him to model them...!

It's amazing how moving a topic like new pants can be, especially in a mostly male organization!

I am very happy with the new pants and had a chance to field test them at a campout last weekend. Despite the dewey mornings I was dry and comfortable. I also did not notice any problems around the campfire even though I was playing chief cook and bottle washer.

I have a question though, if any of the supply folks are still reading this thread. Will these pants be coming out for the Venturing uniform as well? I am starting a new crew and I don't want to even buy the standard style if these will be an option.

Thanks!

Nephew got his new pants this weekend (After coming home from Camporee, but in time for his Cub Scout Meeting as Den Chief and Court of Honor). Everybody was impressed by his new pants and he absolutely loves them. The material feels better than I expected - a little different than swim trunks but not much. One of his favorite features is the built in belt....which he already twisted in the waistband but that is par for the course w/ him.

YiS

Michelle

I field tested the pants last weekend on a backpacking trip. 5 miles in with a 50lbs pack (prepping for Philmont). The hips started fraying slightly where my pack rubbed. The supplex material doesn't seem to like being rubbed alot. I've seen that with other outdoor gear I have. As for the integrated belt, I don't like it. It rolled in the sleave. I'd prefer a separate belt that his hung form loops instead of a sleave.

Both minor issues I can live with.

"I have a question though, if any of the supply folks are still reading this thread. Will these pants be coming out for the Venturing uniform as well? I am starting a new crew and I don't want to even buy the standard style if these will be an option."

It really doesn't matter if National Supply is going to make them for Venturing or not. Its the color of the pants/shorts, not their source that matters. You are NOT required to get Venturing pants/shorts from National Supply. You can go find charcoal gray pants/shorts from other sources and STILL be 'in uniform'.

Go check out Bass Pro Shop, Cabelas, or other on-line vendors. The make shorts, pants, and zip offs in charcoal gray. All of the shorts I wear for Venturing I got from Bass Pro Shop.

emb wrote "You can go find charcoal gray pants/shorts from other sources and STILL be 'in uniform'"

Now I'm banging my head against my monitor yelling "Cary you're stupid, stupid, stupid!!!!"

Last week I spent 68 bucks on the National Supply Venturing pants for WB. Oh well....life goes on

The new zipoff pants are really neat, but the sizing is really odd. They seem to be made for kids that are tall and slim. The fit in the hips is too tight with relation to the fit in the waist, and the length seems just too long with relation to the waist.

I'm really curious how many of our scouts are really built to wear these new pants. My son isn't.

Liz

Liz, you're absolutely right. My husky 12 year old could barely button the waist and the legs were probably about a foot too long. He was so crestfallen, I would gladly have traded my fit for his. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. My 14 year old, normal build, can't wear them either.

Vicki(This message has been edited by Vicki)