Wear your uniform to work day

I remember reading about a council's "Wear Your Uniform to Work Day", an annual event which encouraged all Scouters to, yes, wear their Scout uniform to work. If possible - I suppose it wouldn't work for police, firefighters and such. I'm not sure of the council - maybe it was Greater New York? - and I think it was some time ago. One of the purposes was to show the community how widespread Scouting really is and Scouters themselves were surprised ("Joe! I didn't know you were in Scouting!")

Does any council currently have this kind of program?

Nope, we don't have anything like that around here. Funny thing: a nearby trop (where I have some friends) recently tried to get their boys to wear their uniforms to school. Participation was underwhelming and some of the adults were feeling disappointed about it. The title of this thread makes me wonder, how many of them would be willing to wear their uniforms to work?

Lisa'bob

I can see how it might not go over well with teenagers. However, most adults probably are past the point where we feel silly in uniform in a non-Scouting venue. Last summer, I wore my uniform en route to the Jambo. When I first arrived at the terminal, I felt a little conspicuous but then I started seeing others and it was OK. In the Atlanta airport, there were so many of us in uniform, it looked like an invasion! ;)

grinning he says....

Even though my employer (private sector) is very supportive of the Scouting pictures, ribbons, unit service awards etc.on my walls (where I do not hang any professional detritus...)And even though he is one of those guys who will give me, quite literally, any Friday "off"... if I need to support a Troop activity, I doubt he would be as understanding of me going about office chores with our clients while in uniform...(coat and tie environment)

That said...

The uniform has saved me countless dollars on Sundays throughout the years (much more than the terrible cost of buying the darn things)... When we have been called upon to do ceremonies or presentations at church (Scout Sunday, Charter Presentation Sunday, Veterans Day Sunday etc.) After services I always ask the guys if they want to go to Brunch...in uniform...After Webelos the answer was always a resounding NO! Peer pressure is a terrible thing...but it saved me money!

And yes I am way past uniform embarrassment...heck I dress up as "Santa" every year...my young men know I'd wear anything to get a rise out of someone....

grins

Anarchist

I don't think the workplace should be used to support breast cancer awareness, habitat for humanity, local sports teams, youth soccer teams, high school marching bands or Scouts.

Now, I have Scouting "things" at my desk including a picture of me, my wife, daughter and sons all in our Scouting uniforms. I also have a nice picture I took of the "Tooth of Time" has started many conversations. I've worn my uniform in public many times, but always to/from or during some sort of Scouting activity. So it is not from an embarrassment factor that I don't think it is appropriate to wear at work.

I have taken my uniform to work and changed into it.

Many of my co-workers and clients have seen me in my uniform, but somehow the idea of a "Wear You Uniform To Work Day" doesn't seem to sit very well.

We have dress down days twice a month.

I don't dress down.

I do have a couple of BSA ties, that I wear, one jacket has a James E. West pin and I do wear my Silver Beaver tie pin, normally if I'm attending a Scouting meeting after work and not wearing uniform.

Strange thing is that the further you move from the unit level the less you seem to wear the Field Uniform and I don't think I'm ever going to buy the BSA dress uniform.

I did buy a couple of Sea Scout dress uniforms, I have only got to wear one once!

Eamonn.

I think this idea could go over ok depending on what ones profession is. I am a powerplant operator and I dont think my uniform would come out looking too good at the end of my shift.

Perhaps a different tack might work. What about wearing the uniform while traveling? You see more than a few of our young men and women serving in the armed forces of our nation in uniform in nearly any major airport daily, would'nt it show solidarity with them if we also wore our uniform while going from point A to B?

I can only shake my head in agreement regarding teenagers and uniform wear, man am I glad I'm no longer young enough to be cool. Cant help but think that many of the same teens will find themselves wearing the uniform of their chosen service and will have no choice but to wear it.

Nice thing about wearing the BSA uniform in public is that people seem to be nicer to you and generally give you positive feedback for it.

Maybe more scouts will wear the uniform willingly if more scouters wear it...correctly.

My troop has a MANDATORY policy that uniforms are worn while traveling as a group.

I have NO problem going into the Grocery store or 7-11 before/after a meeting in uniform. 2 weeks ago, I actually promoted our troops flower sale to 1 person because I was standing at the gas station filling up my car - they asked why I was there in uniform.

I can't remember our council doing anything like this. But I'd be OK with it. But then...... I'm oblivious to fashion and half the time I walk around with my fly open or my belt unbuckled or something. So the uniform would probably be an improvement.

My council has "Uniform Day" twice a year, once in September during Fall Round Up Week and once on February 8, the anniversary of Scouting in the U.S. However, it does not seem to be very well known, and without encouragement from the unit leaders, participation is low. I know of several Scouters where I work, but I was the only one wearing my uniform this past year, and none of the others seemed to know about it. My son was the only boy from his den (and possibly the entire pack) to wear his uniform.

(This message has been edited by Beagle Scout)