E-bay uniforms

I have seen several posts dealing with the cost of a (Full) uniform. I have recently started buying uniforms off E-bay. I have to admit I was very wary at first. Things like giving out credit card information, and what if you never receive the product, among others. Using the AUCTION link at the top of this web-site, it takes you right to E-bay. There are a lot of sellers that are thrift stores that do a lot of buissness on E-bay. If you click a item, it tells how many things the buyer has sold, feedback from there customers, and whether they will take checks, or money orders. My point is if you are looking for average size uniforms you can pick up youth M and L for about $20 counting shipping. Do you have a parent that wants to do the shopping for the troop,or Pack. Give on person your order, and how much you will pay. If you watch really close you can find some real deals. My last purchase was a Youth L shirt for $11.50 including shipping. Now the Adult XXL you are going to pay much more, but this is a way to save a lot of money. I am also staring a collection of old uniforms. I picked up a pair of boys scout pants my guess late 40's to 50's for a dollar, and the seller paid the shipping. All you have to do is keep track of it and you will probably find some great deals to. Good Luck

I have over 250 transactions on ebay without a problem. There are many bargains to be had, including brand new items with tags still attached. If you are wary about credit card security, use Pay Pal, which is a third party payment system. The seller never sees your credit card number. I have tried selling on ebay, but it is time intensive, tracking your items and then packing and shipping. Sometimes the shipping and handling fees sound high, but properly packing and shipping a coffee mug cost me over $5 in actual cost. Most patches can be sent for the price of a postage stamp.

E-bay is good for uniforms ...but YARD SALES ARE GREAT!

I have four shirts No more than $2-3.00 each, two pants and one shorts...(sized- short & chubby) grand total $30.00 for 7 items!

Further, my wife (this dear lady gives a whole new meaning to "A Scout is thrifty") has picked up five mess kits -$0.50 each(two are excellent, very old, really thick Aluminium sets- I finally had to start giving them away as prizes to the NSPs 'cause we were running out of space) two nearly complete patrol cook sets- $5.00 per set, several coleman lanterns -$2.00 each, coleman two burner stove- $1.00, MSR dragonfly backpacking stove $40.00 (used once) plus two Trails End external frame packs -$2.50 each, and Jansport internal frame (3000 cu. in.) pack $5.00, Jansport external frame pack -$2.00, BSA hand ax-$1.00, BSA nickle plated whistle (still in its case)-$0.50!

If you enjoy "junk" hunting and don't mind using second hand gear you can outfit a whole troop in a few years of "prospecting". 'course it helps to live in or near metropolitan suburbs.

Large community-wide sales in the spring are wonderful hunting grounds...but it can be habit forming...like scouting! Whenever I hear someone say "too expensive" ...I tell them to get to the flea markets and yard sales...thrift stores and E-Bay! Stretch those dollars!

Anarchist

Another place to look is Flea Markets. I have not seen any near me in NY, but I have seen them in parts of PA, DE, MD, VA, the Carolina's and Georgia.

I had some friends get a few scouting items, and some camping gear at a flea market in lower Delaware(upstate people call it slower Delaware). I think I saw some scout items at a flea market in Henrico County VA(borders NE City of Richmond)a few years ago.

Check out estate sales, if you like the cast-iron skillets and dutch ovens. You may find these and axes/hand-axes on ones at old farms.

Something to add. I stayed up till 12:30 to make sure I won this bidding for 4 scout shirts, 3 scout shorts, 1 pair of socks, 1 merit badge sash, 1 cub T-shirt, 1 scout hat, 1 red brag vest whith patches, 1 Philmont Arrowhead patch. Total cost $51.00 plus $7.20 for shipping. My son is a Bear, and I know own a total of 4 M youth shirts, to go with the 1 L youth shirt, and 2 S Adult shirts I already own. My thoughts are since I found this a such a great price, I will get hold of the local Scout Troop, and find out if there are any older boys that have outgrown a shirt the will fit my son now. I figure we can work out a trade. This will help the Boyscout that has out grown the shirt he has now. Plus my son will have enough shirts to last him for a long time to come.

Just to point out that if you can find a good buy on a shirt, pants ect. that is larger than you currently need for a boy, it may be worthwile to buy, and either wait till they grow, or use it to do a trade.