Placement of Rank Pin

My old troop met on Mondays so, the paperwork got to Council by Thursday and the patches would arrive ~ 1 week later. Our COuncil Office and Scout shop were 2 hours away, so no last minute items for us. We did COH's instead of one of the troop meetings ~ 2 weeks after BOR and 1 month after summer camp. We held 3 BOR's and 4 COH's a year, plus 1-2 Eagle COH's a year.

Not sure how the troop I would like to see my son in(2 years from now) does their COR's, but I can tell you that nothing is presented after BOR is completed. The Troop Leaders' sons were up for review, so I sat in to help them out - they will not sit in on their own son's review as part of troop policy. We gave them a warm congradulations and made suggestions for anything they need to work on or tips for planning out service projects. We also asked them for feed back on how they see things going, and what they would like to see happening in their troop in the future.

When a boy completes his BOR he is presented by the SPL to the troop as the new _____rank. At the next meeting he is given the patch and at COH the card with a pin to be given to his parent.

I have never seen Scouts wear the pin Only parents on a brag ribbon.

"The rank pin is not the same as the mother's pin. The rank pin may be worn instead of the rank patch. This practice is rare but is correct according to the Insignia Guide."

Correct. they are two separate items. The rank pin is larger then the mother's pin.

Also, they are NOT to be worn on the expedition hat. Only the large First Class Badge or Universal Badge is worn there.

Wow, never realized some councils were so anal about patch control. In my current one I got a number of patches to put in my collection no problem when I asked the den leader in our pack who makes the runs to pick them up for me (Boy scout ranks and a couple merit badges). NCAC was the same way, perhaps even more lenient about it. I can recall buying the Safety, Hiking, and Sports merit badges from the Bethesda shop when I was 16 because they were adding/removing them from the required list.

Back on topic though, I'm in agreement that getting the patch to the boy as soon as possible is the best way to go about it, be it next week or once a month. If nothing else it's a morale builder, as the badge of rank is the primary means of showing off one's achievements thus far.