Uniform Vouchers

I am sure this is not an original idea and maybe it was discussed before.

Why not have the councils that sell Popcorn issue vouchers for uniform parts (mainly pants and shorts) at discounted price to promote proper and complete uniforming.

For example if Scout sells amount of popcorn that earns him $100 he can get voucher for pants (value $35) but also receives $70 cash (discounting th pants $5 for the Scout ) plus he has earned his uniform himself.

I am sure there are flaws that I haven't thought of but do believe a plan something like this could help with uniforming

ronvo

ronvo,

Such a geat idea...BUTTTTTT...that would mean they would be giving more money back to units....and then would not have enough for the office staff!

On the other hand, Cub Master Randy nails it! Units can use the money they get from popcorn sales...to offer "scout gear prizes".

Our Troop has been doing this for Years and Years...on almost any fund raiser we do...even those totally for the troop funding we give 1st, 2nd, 3rd place "scout stuff awards"..."reimbursement" for funds spent on uniform parts, backpacks, hiking shoes, mess kits, leathermen tools, it motivates some...others it is not a "turn" on...

we also give such prizes as awards for various scoutmaster challenge contests throughout the year...cooking, compass courses, races, activity planning....(think LARGE!)

Council- HA! District-HA! But there is nothing to say you can not offer such a program "locally"! RUN WITH IT!

Anarchist

Thanks for the input.

My thinking for doing it on the council level ( and Anarchist (I always have to be careful- I keep seeing Antichrist :) No Offense - just my presbyterioptia sp? kicking in)I agree - HA!)

Anyway my thinking was the discount the council could offer. How many of th units that do this use it to promote Uniform over cool camp gear?

But I agree it will have to happen at the unit level and I hope to use it to promote uniforming. Maybe the troop can kick in the extra so the boy gets a discount.

Anyways - any details you have on how you do it in your unit would be appreciated.

thanks

ronvo

ronvo,

Antichrist...huh? well there are lots of folks in these forums who feel thats what I am...:>} (right F-Scouter?)

not sure this will help cause our troop is not financially stressed.

My unit is very fortunate. We have been a 100% uniform troop "for-nearly-ever". We are in a semi-rural, rapidly gentrifying area of Virginia. Most of the scouts do not have money issues...parental divorce issues maybe, but not really hand to mouth money issues.

We require, (yes) require uniforms...not all at once... but at the least, a shirt and a plan to acquire the rest... fairly early in the scout's tenure. Our parents are really behind us on this so that helps.

The SPL does and uniform inspection every night and the Least uniformed (by %) patrol gets to be the service patrol for the next meeting...though its getting tough...lots of 96-98% recently...

WE used to have an "old uniform" pantry...but recently we have been sending our uniiforms to other units needing help.

Then, we are ALSO fortunate to have several leaders who are able and willing to furnish a boy what he needs...If a boys parent(s) come(s) to the committee and lets us know money is an "issue"... we make sure the boy does not miss out on anything "scouting" because his family would not be able to provide...uniforms, gear, summercamp, ETC....our official committee policy is no scout stays behind- because of money, AND THE FUNDS FOR THIS ARE NOT THE TROOPS- BUT PRIVATE FUNDS DONATED FOR THIS PURPOSE! Mind you, this is not a "charity" gift...this program is a flexible "work it off"- as a loan program...the boy will/would be found jobs and chores so he can honestly say he earned his way...( trust me, my sons have no problem at all if dad sends them a "helper" to repair a fence or clean a stall...)

Interestingly enough, as committee members "move on" we always seem to aquire another few kind souls who are willing to carry on the policy...more interestingly...even boys we think migh need our help usually 'do it on their own one they figure out the "score". I doubt if we have "bought" more than a couple of partial uniforms and a couple of "half" summercamps in the last seven years...but the offer is always there.

As to our contests...we have several each year and they are used to assist/motivate fund raising efforts or program efforts...comming up we have a SM's "history challenge" asking for boys to give an oral (and written) history for a low ranking civil war soldier who fought at Getteysburg...these will be "told" around our campfire this year at our Gettysburg "encampment". Troop will offer several scout certificates as prizes for "Appropriate" outdoor gear.

WE also do a cooking contest at a local Church community picnic where "poor" unsuspecting members of the community are drafted to judge the scout entries...and again three nice certificates are given out...its a blast!

anarchist

Anarchist

Now that's what I'm talking about! You guys seem to have your stuff together. Do you have troop web site?

Our troop's families really don't have many money issues either. It's more a matter of what is seemd correct. When the SM has only a shirt on with jeans - it is no surprise uniforming is a problem.

Thanks for the reply andideas.

ronvo

• 2 weeks later...

Actually the voucher idea is not a bad one!

Some camps provide the staff with 25% off vouchers so that they can buy extra uniforms at a reduced price. It turns out that the 25% ends up being the "Council Price" for goods bought through the National Supply Division.

This could easily be extended as a reward system for popcorn sales.