Quality Unit Award

We just finished our recharter in Feb. and are getting QU 2006 patches. Not sure how others do it but it seems as though around here, you get the QU patch for the year in which you are rechartering.

Lisa'bob

One of the required items for the Quality Unit patch is that you recharter on time. It would seem like a normal interpretation of the year on the patch would be that you have completed the requirements in that year. We recharter in March, so that's when we earn the patch.

Now, if we rechartered in November, I might rethink the intended meaning, and say that being a 2006 Quality Unit meant that we were in compliance at the beginning of 2006, having rechartered on time in late 2005 when it was due.

I find the wording on the Quality Unit form extremely poorly worded, for Cub Scouts, anyway. Especially the way it's all phrased in the future tense, saying what we will do. Shouldn't it be based on what we have done?

Either ask your district commissioner, or interpret the requirements however you'd like. As you say, the patches are for sale, so it would up to your leadership to decide whether and when you qualify for them and want to buy them.

Oak Tree

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE: "I find the wording on the Quality Unit form extremely poorly worded, for Cub Scouts, anyway. Especially the way it's all phrased in the future tense, saying what we will do. Shouldn't it be based on what we have done?"

I agree with Oak Tree and this is why I have never placed much value on the award. Our good-intentions don't always materialize.

A few notes about the quality unit award. First, if you recharter in January, then you have until December 31 of that year to earn it. An example, Unit A goes through rechater in Feburary. The Unit leader is not trained. If the Unit leader can get training for their position (ie: Scoutmaster, Cubmaster, Crew Advisor, then if the unit did everything else for quality unit, they would then be a quality unit. If you look at the form, it states previous year and current year. This means, did the unit do the requirements in the last year and do they plan to complete the requirements in the current program year.

Dancin

By Googling Quality Unit Patches, you get The Quality Unit Patch site.

From the site: 4. Q: Help! I'm a new Cubmaster who's confused. Isn't the award earned for the calendar year?

A: Earning the National Quality Unit Award is based upon the past charter year achievements. It is earned by the unit during the month following charter renewal. For example, a unit that rechartered in December, 2002 (Dec. 31) earns the award in January, 2003 (Jan. 1). They would wear the 2003 emblem. On the form, the unit's leaders make a commitment for the new charter year. This is meant to be used as a planning and goal setting tool for the unit.

• 4 weeks later...

The QU award may encourage goal setting, but I still do not place much value on it because the dynamics of a Cub Scout Pack can change so quickly from year to year.

For example: A nearby Pack in our district that earned the "2005 Quality Unit" award no longer has a Cubmaster and a key Den Leader. In a very short period of time, they went from "quality" to falling apart. They have no adults willing to step up and take over. Our Pack recently took them under our wings in order to keep their Pack alive and invite their Cubs to join our meetings and outings.

I don't think the award belongs on the uniform, but that's my personal preference. I personally would not wear the award on my uniform if I knew my unit had quality issues.