Retired Scoutmaster patch

Evenin' all,

Just wondering if anyone had ever come across a patch recognizing a past Scoutmaster who remains active in his Troop? I know it'd be nothing official, but we thought it'd be nice to recognize his exhalted position, rather than just reverting him to an Asst SM. Something that looks like a SM patch but says "retired" or some such thing?

Thanks for any info.

A SM I know had a local embroiderer add info to patches ... such as the word CAMP for our annual Camp Scoutmaster, or the tenure in office for a departing SPL.

Is it "regulation"? No.

Are we the Armed Forces? Equally, no.

There are uniform police who would scream bloody murder about an altered SM patch. I'd rather be concerned the Troop is planning great outings that meet the intent of G2SS and isn't sod surfing...

Somedays, things just have to be in perspective.

I've never seen such a patch, but it should clearly be "Scoutmaster Emeritus". It even looks like there's a perfect space for the word Emeritus on the bottom of the Scoutmaster patch, the place where the word "Chairman" goes on the Troop Committee Chairman patch.

But I don't have a good suggestion on how to get one. People must have machines that can do this type of thing.

Oak Tree

Scoutldr had an idea on this in 2002.

http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=21763

From his post -

"It's not an official position, as far as I know, but I like the idea! Perhaps a "rocker" patch which says "EMERITUS" to fit under the "Scoutmaster" (or other position) patch. I have seen patches on eBay made like the "TRAINED" strip which read "RETIRED", "OVERTRAINED", "UNTRAINABLE", etc., but these are unofficial and unauthorized for uniform wear."

"I have seen patches on eBay made like the "TRAINED" strip which read "RETIRED", "OVERTRAINED", "UNTRAINABLE", etc., but these are unofficial and unauthorized for uniform wear."

Actually, National DOES make a "RETIRED" strip. Its intended for retired professional scouters. Take a look in the Insignia Guide.

i would have to concur with John-in-KC about the uniform police....

that being said, there is a way one can recognize a former Scoutmaster. its the Scoutmaster's (Scouters) Key Award (green & white knot), with the universal Boy Scout emblem pinned to it.

when one sees this knot, one will know that this is a former Scoutmaster who had served at least three tours of duty as SM.

eagleSM

"that being said, there is a way one can recognize a former Scoutmaster. its the Scoutmaster's (Scouters) Key Award (green & white knot), with the universal Boy Scout emblem pinned to it."

There are specific requirements to meet to earn it. You don't just hand it out.

Other recognitions that may be more appropriate is nominate the scoutmaster for a District Award of Merit &/or Silver Beaver. Its a mistake to assume those awards are ONLY for those at the district &/or council levels.

emb021 said:

"There are specific requirements to meet to earn it. You don't just hand it out.

Other recognitions that may be more appropriate is nominate the scoutmaster for a District Award of Merit &/or Silver Beaver. Its a mistake to assume those awards are ONLY for those at the district &/or council levels."

you are correct that they just dont hand them out; not quite sure where one finds an error/debate here. my understanding from Prairie-Scouter was that he/she was wanting specific recoginition of former Scoutmasters. upon qualifying, the Scoutmasters Key is only for Scoutmasters.

the District Award of Merit & the Silver Beaver award are not ONLY for Scoutmasters. other Scouters are eligible as well for these awards.

but i digress. Prairie_Scouter, your former Scoutmaster(s) are also eligible for the National Presidents/NESA Scoutmaster Award of Merit (after 18 months and fullfilling the ONLY other requirements).

eagleSM

• 1 month later...

The idea gets a "No" from me.

We have the knots.

How long would you hav to serve to earn the patch?

Why just SM's

I'm a retired CM,UC,Assistant District Commissioner, District Commissioner, Districtrict Chairman, Den Leader.

I'm not a big man, the shirt isn't big enough for all them patches.

Eamonn.

Instead of adding yet another insignia that is adult only, why not dig up one of the older SM patches from pre-1969.

The SM patch I'm talking about was a green twill 3" circle with a first class emblem outline done in silver thread. 2 borders outlined the 1st class and between the borders the words "Boy Scouts of America was embroidered, all in silver thread.

You want a patch for "retired" SM's? Well, use a retired design that is still valid to use. The patch design I'm talking about here was in constant use from 1938-1969, and its a way sharp design.

PS,

Greetings!

Just like John in KC stated on just a little added embroidery....

At this recent National Scout Jamboree 2005, I received a Scoutmaster patch with an added embroidery "JAMBO - 2005" on the bottom.

Before the Thank You...

The first words out of my mouth, "Schaaaweeet!!"

r/

Crew21 Adv

In reading this thread I noted that no one commented on the fact that the Scoutmaster's Key no longer exists. It's now a Scouter's Key and can be earned by Scoutmasters, Varsity Coaches, Venturing Crew Advisors, Skippers, District Committee members, and Commissioners.

http://usscouts.org/awards/scouterkey.html Each wears a particular device denoting program area in which the award was earned.

LongHaul(This message has been edited by LongHaul)