EMT Insignia for Leaders Uniform?

How about a special hat? A few of us have talked about talking with the DE of the SE about making district or council wide EMS hats. Something like "Greater Niagara Frontier Council EMS" or "Southern Hills District EMS". We even thought of the "Ho-De-No-Sau-Nee Emergency Squad" since our lodge does a lot to support our efforts to have qualified EMS with appropriate equipment at all events. They could then be distributed to the qualified people in the district or council for a small fee if necessary. This is the BSA after all! I know I would be willing to shell out a few bucks for one.

Tim

If one is not an MD, why would one wear a "Physician" patch?

Our camp medic wears a position patch that says "Camp Medic". It must be a custom patch because I've not seen it anywhere else. Unless worn as a temporary patch there is no place on the uniform for an EMT patch. I like the idea of a hat or T-shirt.

In the 60's and 70's, the Red Cross issued the rectangular "Emergency First Aid" patch to those who had completed the Basic and Advanced First Aid Courses. There was also an "Instructor" patch of similar design. These patches were worn by Rescue Squad and Firefigters (and our Explorer Post which was chartered to the local VFD). As a 16 year old, I was proud to be able to wear that "Instructor" patch.

I have been an active volunteer Firefighter, EMT, and Technical Rescue Squad member for more than a decade. I am proud of my training and my service to the community. I have a 3-ring binder full of certifiates from both state and national agenices commerating my training. On my public safety uniform I wear the badges and pins to indicate my levels of training that are approved by my unit. I don't wear my Eagle patch on my public safety uniforms.

Just as people within scouting recognize and respect the various knots and other badges on my scout uniform, people of public safety recognize and respect various badges on that uniform.

I fully understand the pride and implied duty that comes along with EMS training. If BSA had an approved patch for some of my training, I would wear it on the uniform. Since BSA does not, I promote spreading that knowledge within my unit through training in approved BSA recognized awards such as First Aid, Safety, Emergency Prepardedness, Pioneering, and Firemanship merit badges. I have introduced the BSA Emergency Preparednss badge to my unit and its members.

Medical training seems to hold a special aura that many other trainging does not. If we suggest that it is ok for scouts to wear non BSA badges of training from EMS, what is to say badges of training from other fields should not also be worn? Should the mechanic wear his training patch? How about the trucker with X many years of safe driving? The policeman's sharp shooter medal?

Each field awards those who excel in that field through certifiates, awards, badges, and other honors. Those are appropriate for those in the field to wear on their work garb. Bringing in awards to wear on scout uniforms because you believe them to be important, does not honor the uniforming aim.

I applaud those who are involved in areas outside of scouting that helps to better prepare them for life. Please leave the badges from those areas off the scout uniform. If you feel strongly that they offer positive roles for scouts, then petition district, council, and national to approve a patch to reflect your achievements.

I'm new this year as an Adult Leader in Cub Scouts and I'm trying to get a grasp on what is normal. I assume that this forum is a great tool for that.

Believe me, I'm not trying to cross contaminate my uniforms. Clearly, I wouldn't put a scout patch on my work uniform; it's not appropriate. My intentions here are only a safety concern. After 21 years as a Firefighter/Paramedic, the last thing I need is unnecessary attention. Those days are long gone.

If people know that I have a certain level of "first-aid" training, they might be more inclined to come to me for help.

"Medical training seems to hold a special aura that many other training does not. If we suggest that it is ok for scouts to wear non BSA badges of training from EMS, what is to say badges of training from other fields should not also be worn? Should the mechanic wear his training patch? How about the trucker with X many years of safe driving? The policeman's sharp shooter medal?'

What are the odds that in an emergency, life threatening situation that I would need to quickly identify a mechanic, trucker, or sharp shooter. This is not to say that these are any less important of a profession.

While not nearly as long as Akela(wow, 21 years!), I have about 6 years under my belt in emergency services and EMS, the details of witch I will spare everyone. My desire to have some type of identification on the uniform for trained and qualified emergency responders is not to boost my own ego.

Myself and my scoutmaster often are the health officers for council and district wide events. In the case of a life threatening situation it would be nice to be able to pick out of a sea of tan shirts who is trained and who just wants to help. All I would like is something generic that shows emergency services training. I don't need to know if you have 21 years in or if the ink on your EMT card is still wet.

Tim

• 6 years later...

Our council addressed this by creating a circular patch with the star of life, and segments corresponding to each individual's specific level of training. We then classified them as temporary patches so they can be worn on all uniforms without question.

• 3 weeks later...

I am an engineer......I want an engineer patch for my uniform.....

Completely stupid........So why not a doctor or nurse patch.. or how about an automechanic patch...

So why is it police officers and firefighters always want to be recognized.

Kinda like scoutfish and the cpr patches on the uniforms a few years ago.......

• 5 years later...