Unit Caps or Hats

Ive following most of the uniform discussions but I would like to get your input on the topic of Unit Caps.

Im the Cubmaster of a large pack average 90-100 boys each year. I am trying to find a way to encourage the Adult Leaders to get training, attend Pow Wows and Round Tables etc..I am considering having a Unit (Pack) hat made and present it to new leaders once the get the position specific training completed. It would be an navy or tan ball cap with a simple logo on it Pack such and suck Trained Leader something tasteful like a Philmont cap, the On My Honor cap, or the NESA cap.

I cant find anything in the Uniform Regulations that addresses this, because a cap/hat is optional for leaders, I think this goes along with the Unit Activity (Class B) shirt idea

I would appreciate your thoughts

Thanks

OKScouter

The WEARING of a hat is optional. NOT the hat itself.

If the adult leader elects to wear a hat, the hat is the same type as that of the youth they serve. Custom unit hats are NOT an option.

In order for the Pack to get a halfway decent price for custom hats you would have to order quite a few. Personally, I am not much of a hat person at all & would probably not wear one.

You get a "TRAINED" patch from your council when you have completed training. I think that Pack money would be better spent on the training cost itself & on program for the boys.

OKScouter,

WELCOME!!

Scoutnut is right on target. I wish he had a different answer for you, but I've looked and there doesn't seem to be one.

I also think he's probably right about how to spend that money. Perhaps a quick but important ceremony at a Pack Meeting to celebrate leaders who reach trained level -- or to acknowledge any training completed. Less involved parents probably don't understand, and therefore can't appreciate the effort your leaders put forth. Give them a chance to understand it, and cheer for it.

jd

OKscouter-

There already exists something to met your needs.

Adults who complete training to be considered "Basic Trained" earn the right to wear the "Trained" strip on their uniform. Recognize them when they met this goal by presenting them with the strip.

Also, there are the training awards. Encourage them to work toward earning them.

Thanks for your input, so what I'm hearing is that if a hat is not one of the listed "headgear" in the insignia guide than we should not wear it in uniform? What about the Philmont caps, the Wood badge hats, or the NESA caps I see Scouter in.

About half of the scouters I talk to say no, the other half say yes because the Insignia guide does not prohibit or even discuss other hats, much like coats and jackets. I may be looking in the wrong place, is there any other guidance for uniforms than the insignia guide.

Ive been in the Boy Scouts combined as a youth and leader for 16 years and I only get opinions on these sorts of issues (I do appreciate your input.. I did asked for it) but I have never been shown a written BSA policy beyond the insignia guide that addressed other scout hatsetc. Quite often I head thats BSA policy when later I find that its only someones option..

Im all for following BSA Policy and BSA policies are VERY precise when they want to be. So that leads me to believe that the Supply Division intentionally left room for flexibility.

Is there another BSA Policy that is more specific than the Insignia Guide that someone can point out?

Thanks,

OKScouter

P.S. The price of the caps is not an issue one of the dad's owns a shop that does that sort of thing...we can get them at cost about $5 each and we do push the traing knots.

If you look at the uniform inspection sheets under headgear, the only option given is the campaign hat.

If a Scouter does not serve any youth in particular (district or council level), I suppose he can wear a Philmont or NESA hat if they wish. I have seen Scouters wearing sweat pants or camo pants with their scout shirt also. Does the fact that a Scouter is wearing it make it a valid uniforming option?

I think for me, the sticking point is that you are using Pack funds for this. It does not matter if it is $5 or $1 per hat. Not everyone wears hats. If you gave one to me it would go in a drawer or to my son. I would NOT wear it & the cost would be wasted.

With around 100 boys you have at least 10 dens. If you figure at least 2 leaders per den, CM, CC, COR, & at least 3 committee members that comes to $130 if everyone gets trained. Those funds can be better used elsewhere. For $130 you can send 1 or 2 boys to summer camp.

BTW - With a Pack of 90-100 boys, you should have a good number of committee members. Promoting training is not the job of a Cubmaster (other than non-stop encouraging). Your Pack Trainer is the one who should be doing that. If you do not have a Pack Trainer, talk to your Committee Chair & have the committee select one.

Thanks for all your input and advice.

Your comments prompted me to did a little deeper..I think I need to get a copy of the official Rules and Regulations of the BSA and discussed in the opening of the Insignia Guide.

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the Rules and Regulations of the BSA .

My DEs no help hes pretty inept.to him anything the SDE suggests is policy.. You know how it works.. It goes something like this the SDE mentions that it could be helpful if all the packs in one area hold their rally (sign-up) night on the same dateso the DE tells me that Council Policy is the all Packs Must hold their Rally Night on the same date

. so if someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thanks

OKScouter

The 'Rules and Regulations' can be tricky to get, but I had a copy and they were pretty unhelpful. For example, all uniform stuff you need to know is in the Insignia Guide.

Just FYI- I like the hat idea, but would not support it since I don't wear hats. I agree that the 'Trained' strip is not the greatest motivator, but perhaps a great temproary patch would work in its place.

Hello OKScouter,

Your impulse to look for ways to promote and recognize training is a good one. I would look for a variety of ways to do that, not just one.

Sending e-mails or announcements of training to parents and volunteers will provide people with information of when training is available.

Your district training staff might be willing to send a trainer out during a pack activity to train people in situ, making training easier.

Honoring people who get their training strips is a powerful reminder and inducement for people to do the right thing.

There is also the Scouter's Key award, which has a more comprehensive list of requirements to obtain a "knot" for your uniform. These requirements include two years of service as a registered leader, completing prescribed training, and options such as attending Roundtables, additional district training, conducting two Friends of Scouting pitches and other such activities.

The Scouter's key has a little pamphlet that Scouters can use to plan and get the requirements they complete signed off. You might consider getting some of those cards and filling them out for your adultm leaders, many have probably completed several requirements.

In my district, this card can be downloaded from the district website.

There is a similar special award for Cubmasters as well, you might want to check that one out!

Seattle Pioneer

Uh, the Scouter's Key is only available to the key unit leader of troops, teams, crews, and ships. Its not available to their assistants or to leaders in cub scouting.

As OKScouting is involved in Cub Scouting, his leaders need to be looking at the appropriate cub scout leader training awards.

All real good posts and ideas. It is always a challenge to get the leaders to attend training (especially new ones). Just like the kids the adults are motivated by different things.

I personally like the hat idea and my try it myself.

As others have said, some leaders like the trained patch, while others will attend just to earn the knot.

Another cheap alternative we've used over the years is a leather fob that we stamp out that they can hang from their pocket. We give leaders beads to hang from it for doing various things like attend Roundtables, Pow-Wow, Chair an pack event, and attend leader or committee meetings.