What color shoulder patches?

1st of I have been the COR for 4 yrs for our cub Scout Pack. I do wear a uniform.... this is the query

I wear the Pack#, Anniv# and COR patch on my left shoulder since I am attached to the Pack

I was told since I am a COR I carry a vote on the district level and should where Silver on my shoulders. .....

Then recently someone told me that since I have the Pack # on my sleeve I should be wearing Blue not silver...

THEN the discussion started between others.. saying if I am wearing Silver I should not have a Pack # on my sleeve ?! but then Since I am affiliate with the pack I should have the Pack # ....

Since I am the uniform police in our pack :) I want to make sure I wear it correctly..... Does anyone know for sure???

oh and to throw this in.. I am also a member of the district Committee (District Training Committee)....(This message has been edited by Rixkidz)

The district committee thing is easy - wear your district (grey or silver) shoulder loops.

Shoulder loops identify you to both the adults and youth you work with. All registered adult members should wear the program colored shoulder loops while working with youth, and while working within their unit (i.e. a Pack committee meeting).

Now does the COR work with the youth? I know some that do and others that do not. I would wear my blue shoulder loops while working with my Pack (adults and/or youth) and only wear my silver when working with the district itself.

(This message has been edited by acco40)

While the COR is attached to the Pack (communicating back and forth between the CO and the Pack on policy) they also represent the Chartered Organization on the District Committee. That is why our COR wears silver taps.

On which charter you are listed? The COR is listed on the unit charter therefore wear the unit loops- red if is a troop, blue pack, and so on with unit number. If your charter organization has more than one unit chose your color or wear the color for the unit you are with at the time. Never wear a different color on each shoulder.

I wore red and unit number on my Scoutmaster shirt and when I wore the one with my district position patch, I wore silver and no unit number. Now some read the uniform guide that you wear the color of your primary registration. I find this confusing.

"Now some read the uniform guide that you wear the color of your primary registration. I find this confusing. "

It is confusing.

That's why it was changed.

It USED to read that. Now it reads that you wear the color that properly matches the position you are indicating on your uniform.

BTW, the COR is NOT a member of a unit. They represent the charter org. Yes, they are on your charter, but that doesn't make them a member.

The COR is on the recharter and I do pay a registration, and am a member of the committee. I have specific roles in the pack... I have a position patch on my sleeve.. not many CORs are active in the units from what I hear.

RE: Pack number on a COR uniform

I suppose if your CO sponsors only a Cub Scout Pack, I don't see why you couldn't wear the unit number. But technically, the COR is a member of the district, not of the unit.

Now, if your COR sponsors multiple units, and suppose each has a different number (not the preferred approach, but it happens), then what number does the COR wear?

I think that's why the COR doesn't wear a unit number.

"The COR is on the recharter and I do pay a registration, and am a member of the committee. I have specific roles in the pack... I have a position patch on my sleeve.. not many CORs are active in the units from what I hear. "

Yes, the COR is on the charter, as information, and yes you pay registraion because this is a registered position in the BSA.

Being a Member of the [Pack] Committee is in ADDITION to your position as COR.

Yes, some COR are not that active in their units. But they aren't required to be. Ideally they should drop by to see how things are doing. But their job is to represent the CHARTERED ORGANIZATION, NOT the unit, to the council. Have you taken the COR training???

"We are chartered to our parents.. We have not Chartered Org. I was chosen by the XO"

Yes you do. ALL units MUST have a Chartered Organization, even if its only a "Friends of Unit XXX" or "Parents of Unit XXX" type group. This Executive Officer is the Executive Office of SOME organization, right?

If you are wearing grey loops there should not be a unit number on your sleeve. If there is a unit number then your uniform is representing that unit and you should wear the appropriate color loops for that unit.

"If you are wearing grey loops there should not be a unit number on your sleeve. If there is a unit number then your uniform is representing that unit and you should wear the appropriate color loops for that unit. "

Unit numbers are worn by unit-level scouters, who should obviously be wearing unit-level position patch & appropriate loops (blue, red, blaze, green)

COR are NOT unit-level scouters. In fact, I have my copy of the "Insignia Guide" with me, and it lists COR under the Council/District Badges of Office, and lists it as a 'council scouter'.

That said, it doesn't bother me when I see a COR wearing unit numbers, as that is probably the unit number of the unit(s) their CO has.

Ok, for all you uniform police out there what about velcro so that you can take them on and off?

I'm a Den Leader, Asst. Cubmaster, Asst. Scoutmaster, OA Chapter Advisor, Crew Advisor and Round Table staffer (4 kids in all three programs). Man I need to get a life! LOL

I'm not buying 6 different shirts! I put velcro on the sleeve and patches, and change the shoulder epilates and patches to fit the activity.

Herms, I feel your pain. Many of us wear several hats, but are not rich enough to purchase several complete uniforms for those various roles.

When I started out, I had one uniform for my primary role (Pack CC) and I wore that uniform for my various other roles (including Cub Training Coordinator for my district).

I did not buy nor wear a District Committee uniform and no one ever complained about my wearing a unit uniform while I was on district business. If anyone had complained, I was fully prepeard to quit the district position.

Since that time, I've acquired a second uniform for my new primary role (UC). Now, I wear that uniform whenever I'm in other roles (e.g., ASM for my son's troop).

Again, so far, no one has complained that I'm "out of uniform" when I'm doing things with my son's troop; if they do, I'll tell them what they can do with their ASM job!

"Ok, for all you uniform police out there what about velcro so that you can take them on and off?

I'm a Den Leader, Asst. Cubmaster, Asst. Scoutmaster, OA Chapter Advisor, Crew Advisor and Round Table staffer (4 kids in all three programs). Man I need to get a life! LOL

I'm not buying 6 different shirts! I put velcro on the sleeve and patches, and change the shoulder epilates and patches to fit the activity."

Go for it. No one will complain about you using Velcro. I have about 3-4 different shirts, but this is because I bought them over time, and I attend long-term events where I'll need extra clean uniforms. I actually use velcro (2in wide strips I get from WalMart) to attach my lodge flaps. Most lodges down here change their flap every couple of years and expect members to wear the current flap. With extra uniforms its easier to use velcro then sew new flaps on all my uniforms.