AOL Patch of AOL knot??

we have Webelos crossing over next month, as well as earning their AOL.

Do they wear their AOL patch when they cross over OR do they wear a knot? If they wear the patch WHY do they sell a knot?

Also everything I read says this is the only award the boy can cross over with, but what about the religious awards (knots) ???????

Thanks!

I'm not going to say that Cubmaster Randy is wrong but as I understand it the Webelos Knot can be worn by Boy Scouts. The AOL patch and the knot mean the same thing just as the Eagle badge and the knot do. Once a boy becomes a Boy Scout replacing his original AOL award is difficult,at least in our council, because and advancement report is needed and only one badge is sold per boy. The knot is used when the AOL patch is not available. After the age of 18 the AOL patch can only be worn by Eagle Scouts who are entitled to wear thier youth rank patch and thus can wear their AOl patch under it. Could be wrong but this is what I've been told.

LongHaul

LongHaul,

Scouters do not wear youth Rank! If the Adult earned the AOL and/or Eagle as a scout then he can ware the knots the represent that rank. Check the uniform guideline which says that Adults are not to ware any youth rank or badges. Later on in the guidelines it contradicts itself and says at special ceremonies like COH or Blue and Gold dinner the adult can wear the Eagle metal.

Hope this helps,

Mark Maranto(This message has been edited by hendrickms24)

First of all, there is no "Webelos Knot" that I know of. The Arrow of Light knot is worn only by adults. The Arrow of Light badge is worn by youth Scouts and Venturers directly under the Rank patch on the left pocket. The youth religious award knot can be worn by all with a miniature device (in lieu of the medal) to denote which award was earned (Cub or Boy Scout).

The religious knot...

(1)hmmmm My son earned it as a tiger, and again as a Webelos. Wearing of the knot shows he earned it once, and then a small webelos pin in the middle shows he earned it a second time ?! is this wrong?

(2) okay so as I understand it, there is no need for an AOL knot until he is a scouter, and I just need to sew the AOL patch onto his Boy Scout uniform.. correct?

Thanks for all the responses...

Rixkidz -

I believe you are correct on item 1. You are definitely correct on item 2. The AOL rank patch is to be worn until he turns 18. At that time he takes it off and puts on the AOL square knot. The same goes for the Eagle rank patch when he earns it. Contrary to what some have said (and I've seen practiced), adults do not wear the Eagle patch.

If I remember correctly (and someone here will have the insignia handy and will confirm or deny this) for the religious knot - if it is earned as a Cub Scout the Cub Scout device is worn on the knot. After that, if it is earned at the succeeding higher levels the corresponding device is added to the knot. Thus a boy who completed the religious knot requirements as a 1-3 grader, 4-5 grader, 6-8 grader and 9-12 grader would have 4 miniature devices on his single purple knot. This means your Webelos son should have 2 pins on his knot, one Cub Scout and one Webelos.

Also - as a note - the 4th pin is the Venture pin. It doesn't mean the boy was a Venturer when he earned it, merely that he earned the 4th level.

Again - I do not have the insignia guide at hand (my office frowns on that while on company time), so I may be off. But this group is a great place for "gentle re-education" of such faux pas.

YiS

Michelle

Michelle, The knot device denotes which PROGRAM the boy was in when he earned a religious award. A Boy Scout should not wear a Venturing knot device if they were not a Venturer when they earned their award.

If 2 religious awards were earned while a Boy Scout, the Scout would wear 2 Boy Scout knot devices on his knot.

Another knot that a youth may wear is the James E.West Award. In fact the first time I saw it , the knot was on a brand new Boy Scout at summer camp back in 1995, he proudly said to me "I got that because my grandpa gave money to the council" The Jame E. West Award is given to anyone giving or has given in their name $1000 the a council endowment fund.

ScoutNut,

Sorry, but Michelle is correct. The knot devices worn are NOT to indicate what PROGRAM a youth earned the religious award, but WHICH ONE. It IS correct for a Boy Scout who has earned the 'older' religious award to wear the VenturING knot device. He does NOT wear 2 Boy Scout devices.

I had not thought about that before today but a scout wearing a James West Award, is technically correct.

AOL Award

The uniforming people were nice to change the AOL rank award to be placed below the pocket under the current rank award for the Boy Scout. Before that it was placed on the pocket flap of the Cub Scout and would need to be taken off and resewn when the boy went to the tan uniform from the blue.

BTW, Most councils will replace an award if you bring in the certificate and let them know it is a replacement or for a second uniform.