old neckerchief for an old troop...

kahits,Sorry for the typo on your name in my previous post. I believe that ponge is pronounced pon-jay. Perhaps it is spelled pongee. I must dig out my copy of the Service Library 1927 booklet Scouting With a Neckerchief or my copy of Reimer's classic Matching Mountains with the Boy Scout Uniform.

"The neckerchief is first and last a necessity."

I must dig out my copy of the Service Library 1927 booklet Scouting With a Neckerchief or my copy of Reimer's classic Matching Mountains with the Boy Scout Uniform.

Both the entire Scouting With a Neckerchief and the Neckerchief chapters of Matching Mountains with the Boy Scout Uniform can be found at The Inquiry Net:

http://www.inquiry.net/uniforms/neckerchief

Kudu

Going with the old neckerchief sounds great!

Connecting with their past history!

Don't forget to make sure the troop is wearing their veteran bar. You should be wearing the "50 year" bar between your CSP and your Troop number. Also if you want to go "all the way" you can get custom Troop numbers with the veteran bar included. Very Cool!

Be proud of your units history!

YIS

Ron

Thanks, SWN.. after Christmas I plan to do a thorough fabric/material search on this, to keep the momentum going and Kudu, I will take your extensive resources to heart. I know I have much to learn, and will take any advice that is offered.

Captainiron14, that is a very good idea. The 50 year bar would be a great, immediate addition to the troop, and in 2012, which will be about the time my son will be leaving the troop, they can switch to the 75 year bar. I still can't fully explain how the history of this currently struggling troop has effected me, but it has my complete attention and commitment. After 4.3 long years in the feeder pack of the same number (#3), and keeping it moving, this is going to be alot more fun. I plan to create as many ways as possible to emphasis the history of the troop, starting with the creation of a wall of honor for all the Eagle scouts and Scoutmasters that have gone before. I'm into making DVD's thru my kids sports and music recitals, so that would be a great tool to give or loan to packs, dens, and Webelos, to further understand that history is something that is a part of experience, even for this currently small troop. These seemingly small details are what I have been looking for to help in this process. My thanks to you, all.

I guess anything that comes close to cotton, but is more durable would be a good option.

I think you are better off with the traditional material, cotton. Baden-Powell wrote somewhere that the principle purpose was to cool the neck and protect it from sunburn.

As far as "durable" goes, here are the results of some stress tests:

http://www.inquiry.net/images/mm088a.jpg

captainron14 writes:

You should be wearing the "50 year" bar between your CSP and your Troop number.

Why just the 50 year bar? If the Troop was founded in 1938 they should be wearing a 65. I think the custom combination Troop numbers are available in multiples of five years. We have a "60" year bar combination patch.

I'm into making DVD's thru my kids sports and music recitals, so that would be a great tool to give or loan to packs, dens, and Webelos, to further understand that history is something that is a part of experience, even for this currently small troop.

You can assign a "special project" for a Scout's Position of Responsibility (POR) advancement requirements. I asked one of my Life Scouts to scan all of the ancient photographs & newspaper clippings which we then made available as CD-ROMs. He also did raw optical scans of the text for some other Scout's future searchable Website history project maybe.

this currently small troop

You don't have to rely completely on the feeder pack if you have access to a public or private school during school hours. I wrote an effective recruitment dog & pony show that you can use. The best part is that it will reinforce your own convictions that boys do not necessarily consider Scouts to be uncool if it is just presented convincingly as an adventure, see:

http://www.inquiry.net/adult/recruiting.htm

Kudu

I have to agree with you, Kadu. Why change a design when the original (cotton) still works? Having not looked at fabric for this purpose, this will make it easy, if a good color or pattern is found in cotton.

65 works for me....just the idea of a single number 3 patch, with that integrated into the top would be outstanding in it's understatement.

As for the use of a POR to help process any historic images that might be found, I love it. That work is key to any digital presentation, and to help one or more of the older scouts to make it their own, for the future of the troop.. it does not get any better then that.

Kudi, I agree. The best connection is the middle school that just happens to be across the street from the church that the troop has their meetings. No other pack is even close to this area of town, and those that are nearby, are so high provile, they don't even have to recruit. All 3 of the feeder packs has their kids going there, so it's really their domain to recruit scouts from. Since they have grown rusty in their recruitment at the middle school level (not to mention the elementary schools that had Cub scout packs), their efforts need help. I was impressed with their effort at the middle school (where my daughter is an 8th grader... and really wants to do Venturing when she turns 14 in July), and can see that effort being improved upon. I agree completely on the concept of an adventure.. I have a 93' Land Rover Defender 110, which I thought would make a great prop, along with these pioneering structures they were exhibiting at the middle school open house in September (park of that old troop feel that I liked from the start, even if they didn't seem to see it as a great place to recruit from). They actually recruited 3 boys (1- 7th & 2- 8th grade) for that effort. It is about the adventure, absolutely no doubt, and along the way, they can learn and experience the other things that will make them the leaders that Boy Scouts is capable of producing. I'll share that recruiting article. It is about the camping... and you go from there. This post is becoming quite the think tank for scouting, from the uniform to the way the troop can run, if you have boys ready for an adventure. How do you compare that to band or PE?

Sorry, Kudu (on the typo). I got tied up trying to use the formatter on this board, and went back and forth, with no luck... so had to delete your comments, and leave my responses. It is just so much easier if you can post the comment you are responding to. I guess I don't have the setting quite right. Goodnight..

I don't know what thread count, etc, cotton the old ones were made of. I have four of them from the 1935 and 1937 jamborees that were pretty well worn at time (although not at the '35 jambo of course). They are still in good shape and would have been very comfortable to wear.