I really don't want this topic to apear morbid; however, I can't find anything on it. My concern is a Boy Scout Funeral Ceremony. My plans upon my death involve my cremation and a Scout Ceremony soon after. As I mentioned above, I can find nothing on the web. Your help will be appreciated.

JDR

Our council has a camp in which has been established an honor field with the appropriate statuary, plaques, etc., and which is located in a very peaceful section of woodlands nest to the lake in the camp, but separate from the main body of the camp. Thus, peace and solitude is maintained. It is in this field that every year, especially during summer camp, those who have gone before us, and given of themselves to Scouting, are remembered. The Scouts Own philosophy is used for ceremonies, and all are welcomed, especially the families of our lost members. I've never seen ashes scattered there, so I can't address that issue. But you might want to see if your council has a place like that. If they do, you can make your desires known to those who survive you such that they can attend to the requirements of the ceremony after you're gone.

It is, indeed, a subject that few are willing to speak of while still here. And it is more difficult when doing so knowing that the ceremony will likely be attended by many young men and boys for whom death is not a frequent aquaintence, or so we would hope. Thus, ceremonies like this that I've seen are kept as solemn as necessary, without morbidity. And the boys always have a place to go to be near those who have passed on, without being in the cemetery atmosphere.

I wish you well in your search for answers to make your final plans. There may be other information out there, but do not know of it. Perhaps your council might be able to direct you. Be well.

I don't know if having a specific boy scout ceremony is the way to go. Presumably you have some religious affiliation of your own. Weaving boy scouts into the ceremonies that are part of your religion is probably the way to go.

We had a rather shocking event in our troop about three years ago. A dad in the prime of his life keeled over in his front yard and died. He was a parent in our troop, and had been an adult advisor on the Philmont crew just the previous summer. He had not been a career scouter (too young), but he did support the troop in a variety of ways, and was well regarded by everybody. Many of the boys and other scouters, self included, went to the rosary and funeral mass in full uniform and paid our respects that way. When one of the boys on the Philmont crew who played the trumpet played taps at the rosary, there wasn't a dry eye in the place.