Eagle BOR and uniform

I have been following the other discussion and I know a uniform isn't required. How would you handle an Eagle BOR if the Scout showed up with no uniform? I would probably excuse myself from the Board and let it contine without me, because I wouldn't want to add to the requirements, but I couldn't sit and pass a scout for Eagle with no uniform. Maybe it's a good thing I don't sit on the Eaagle BOR's for our Council.

Vote no because of a lack of Scout Spirit? Because the Scout didn't wear something that isn't required? It sound like the lack of Scout Spirit is on the side of the adult, not the Scout.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

K9, I couldn't do that because a uniform is not required, but I believe an Eagle candidate should know the importance of having a uniform and could not sit this board.

dan, Just about everyone here says you can't require a uniform, so I'm not sure how you can say the adults don't have strong leadership skills. I take it you would sit on this board the same as any other.

Ed, I wouldn't vote no, I wouldn't sit on this board. I take it you would sit on this board same as any other.

Yes I would sit on this board.

This goes to the "You can't judge a book by its cover". This might be the absolute best Eagle candidate ever! If you judge a Scout based on what he wears then it sounds like you are the one with the Scout Spirit problem, not the Scout.

Remember, Scout Spirit is living your everyday life according to the Scout Oath & Law.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

I think, before I made the final decision about sitting or not sitting the Eagle BOR, I'd have a talk with the candidates Scoutmaster. There is not enough information in Eagle WB's post to tell us WHY the candidate does not have a uniform.

Asking a few questions and gathering a few facts will get a lot more mileage than just deciding not to sit the board, or voting no.

YIS

Walking out of an Eagle BOR because of a non-uniformed candidate, speaks volumes. It says more about you, then anything that could be inferred about the scout in light of his uniforming or lack thereof. You would be making the statement that the uniform is more important than the boy.

I am glad this is only a hypothetical question.

Well, remember that the boy may be a member of a Venturing Crew, not a troop, and whatever he's wearing may be their uniform--or they may not have a uniform.

I will say, though, that if a boy from a troop showed up with no uniform for an Eagle BOR, it would be a fair question to ask him why.

(Note: for those who would immediately want to walk out--what are you picturing? A boy in a T-shirt and jeans, or a boy in a jacket and tie? Would you be so quick to assume the worst if he were wearing a jacket and tie?)

"Well, remember that the boy may be a member of a Venturing Crew, not a troop, and whatever he's wearing may be their uniform--or they may not have a uniform. "

That may be true, but then the candidate is a Venturer, not a Scout, and the question used the word "Scout", which indicated membership in a Boy Scout Troop.

"Well, remember that the boy may be a member of a Venturing Crew, not a troop, and whatever he's wearing may be their uniform--or they may not have a uniform. "

That may be true, but then the candidate is a Venturer, not a Scout, and the question used the word "Scout", which indicated membership in a Boy Scout Troop.

A member of a Venturing unit is still a Scout! How Clintonian do you want to get?

Ed Mori

Troop 1

I would sit the Board. Not having a uniform on would certainly be fair game for discussion with the candidate, but it can't be a deal breaker. I would want to know the reasons that the Scout chose not to wear one. Remember, a BOR is supposed to be a learning experience on both sides.

After seeing an Eagle board overturned on appeal to District after the Unit BOR felt there were serious character flaws and reason to deny the Eagle, I am convinced that any negative decision based on uniforming would be overturned without a second thought.

K9 wrote "I would encourage you to stay on the Eagle board and vote no. This is a lack of scout spirt and he should not be granted the ranke of Eagle Scout"

I'm glad you are not sitting on Eagle BOR's in our district. How can not wearing a scout uniform be a sign of bad scout spirit?

I've sat on several Eagle BOR's and there hasn't been one where a kid did not wear a uniform. But there were a few that just wore the scout shirt but not the official pants. Did I knock the kid because he didn't wear the official scout pants? No. I use the "whole person" concept.

Cary P

To prejudge a candidate because he did not wear a uniform is wrong. However, I agree that a scout that would show up not in uniform should be prepared to answer some questions about the uniform, it's importance, and I'd go so far as to ask specifically why the candidate did not wear one. (For all I know the dry cleaners where his mother took it to be cleaned, burned down the day before. I don't know, are there legitimate religious reasons why a candidate would not wear a uniform? If so I would expect an Eagle candidate to be able to explain those reasons.) My vote would depend on how the candidate responded to those questions.

Just because a candidate shows up not meeting an individual's expectation of what an Eagle Scout should look like is not a reason to not sit on a board or worse automatically reject him anymore than a board is automatically expected to approve a candidate just because a candidate shows up in full uniform, comes from a family with three generations of Eagles, 12 pages of personal recommendations, whose family just donated funds to build a new dining hall at the council camp, whose Dad is the District Executive and finished his project the day before his 18th birthday.

SA(This message has been edited by scoutingagain)