Feather in your cap?

I was chatting with my DE at our last camporee. He mentioned something called a "brush" that one could get for a hat. He described it as a feather of different colors representing different positions or ranks. Its been a couple months, but I think he said scouts in other countries use, or have used these. Has anyone heard of this? I have done some web searches and cannot find anything. Maybe I am using incorrect terminology, but I would like to find them.

Thanks for any help!

Tim

"He mentioned something called a "brush" that one could get for a hat. He described it as a feather of different colors representing different positions or ranks. Its been a couple months, but I think he said scouts in other countries use, or have used these. Has anyone heard of this? I have done some web searches and cannot find anything. Maybe I am using incorrect terminology, but I would like to find them."

The plumes indicated what program you were in (Cub, Boy, Senior) and if you were the primary leader, secondary, group, etc. They are pretty much only worn by adults.

I believe the British Scout Association has a document at their website describing these. Here it is: http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/library/hqdocs/facts/pdfs/fs145002.pdf