Name Tags For Leaders?

A cleaver, lightweight, and permanent tag that folks from a neighboring troop did:

Give a seamstress a spent uni. shirt and have her cut it into rectangular patches and embrioder the members' names on each. For an additional fee, she'd even sew it on your uniform.

I'm looking into it for myself. Problem is all my uni's are vintage ...

To think about it, I know that there are shops that make the military helmet band name tags that are embroidered and sewn on. I'm sure you could have then make a tan one with black or red lettering. maybe check with US Cav on-line shop.

Yep. Local mall has an embroidery kiosk, does custom hats, shirts, jackets. The owner is a Scout. He will embroider your name on your shirt (or jacket) for $5. Looks nice, but it kind of blends in. I find a tag is more obvious and eye catching...

Jamboree nametags are/were black/blue on tan.

Troop issues white on black nametags to all Scouts/Scouters from Scoutshop. Nice touch for forgetful ASMs.(This message has been edited by SSScout)

• 2 months later...

I've wanted a name tag since I started as an ACM. Parents see me once a month and I'm usually running around behind the scenes while the CM is up front of the crowd. There are times when they have to come to me for something and I can tell it's awkward since they don't remember my name and not sure how to address me. I don't like the plastic black nametag since they snag on thing, I've lost the frogs on other similar nametags, I've seen mag backings nametags not stay in place or come off, etc.

I've read this thread and starting to zero in on either getting a spend uni shirt and embroidering the name in red or getting black fabric and having the name done it white. In either case, I would cut, fold and sew the fabric into a nametag size patch and sew it on to the shirt. For those with military experience, it would be like how they sew the cloth badges on BDUs. Which do you think would look better, red on tan or white on black?

• 1 month later...

Here's a trick I've found that makes the nametag stay upright, and also makes your patches look neater.

Whenever I buy a new shirt I go to my local "big box" store and buy the pack of iron on repair fabric. It's available in a tan that matches our shirts fairly well. I cut 2 pieces the width of a pocket, one as high and one half as high. I then iron it INSIDE the shirt just above the pocket. The taller one goes on the right pocket to keep the Jambo emblem straight, the short one goes over the left pocket.

Makes for a very neat and "uncluttered" uniform shirt.

To keep the plastic nametag flat, I put a small piece of matching color felt behind. Feels lots better than cardboard and won't dissolve when wet (rain or sweat). As for the scratchy pins on a nametag, there are decorative pins that come with a soft plastic back attachment. I merely switch those to the nametag.

I think that the point about a black and white name tag is specific because it is refering to the item number from supply. There are other name tags but specifically #20100 is the black and white one so the context is critical. I believe that it was the only youth tag at one time and I also think that it is listed that way as a convenience not as a requirement. Same thing with only having one diagram. It is very often a case of changes and the illustrations and documents are not absolutely specific to the nth degree. If it were there would be no confusion.

LOL, I just made a name tape using some tan fabric to match the shirt and took it to a hat embroidery place to do red lettering. It looks sharp, but it does kind of looks like the interpreter strip. Luckily I don't have a name that can be confused with a foreign language. I thought of using a black fabric and white lettering to match the pin on name tags, but somehow those colors make the name tag always look like an afterthought (which they were) and not really part of the uniform.