Official Boy Scout Uniform

For arguement sake, lets say the Eagle scout does not have a pair of uniform pants. He would then be out of uniform wearing blue jeans or any other leg coverings. The kilt would be no more or less out of uniform.

If the choice is between blue jeans and a kilt, I would encourage the kilt. Of course I attend the highland games on a regular basis and love wearing a kilt.

Is the issue the boy is wearing a "skirt" or is the issue the boy is not wearing a uniform. If it is a skirt issue, get over it. If it is a uniform issue, then the only proper answer is uniform slacks. He needs a pair to be a proper Eagle and show that the uniform is an important part of BSA.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the point Eamonn made, "we are not here to be uniform enforcers but to teach youth to make proper decisions." There are points on both sides. For example there is a rule that a council representative must be present at all Eagle COH's to open and close it otherwise it is not considered official, yet I have been to many courts where there was no SE, DE or Commissioner present, did that negate the ceremony, technically by the book it does, but this practice still goes on, even though the BSA is not being officially represented.

As to the kilt it is not official BSA, but neither are jeans or dockers which are worn on a regular basis at COH's. I agree there has to be a strong reason for him to wear it, but remember the COH is just a formality, the boy has already earned his Eagle, this is for the most part his last recognition ceremony and more likely than not he will be moving on very shortly, so I think we can cut him a little slack. If a desire to wear a kilt has a very good reason behind it then it should be allowed, the pillars of scouting will not tumble.

Hi Everyone;

I am the Scoutmaster for the troop with the boy who wants to were the kilt, I have been reading all the input and greatly appreciate all your help and ideas.

In the begining I did not want the young man to wear a kilt at all ,since I have been Scoutmaster of ths troop this question has never been asked all my boys knew that they should wear there offical uniform no question asked,and I have had 7 Scouts become Eagle in the last four year which I feel is a great accomplishment on there part.

That is why I insisted on the Offical Boy Scout niform. And that is why we posted this question. The espondence has been great just so you all know incase the question every comes up again I spoke with the young man and advised him that at his COH he must have the official boy scout uniform on shirt, pants, the whole thing. If he wants he can change into his kilt for the reception than that is his choice. Which is what he will be doing.

It has been customery with in our Troop to hold Eagle COH in the most traditional way and our Troop is the oldes Troop in our Council,and we intend to abide by that. Sometimes we need to make changes and this is one of them. I know all my future Eagles will continue with the traditional way, you always have to one in the group, and this one is mine.

Once again thank you for your help.

Michael (Scoutmaster)

The Eagle court of honor is a ceremony honoring the boy that has earned the Eagle rank. The only rule about holding an Eagle COH is that the award presentation may not take place until the award credentials has been received from the national council. There are no rules or regulations about the format or agenda of the court of honor nor any rule about a council rep being present to make it "official".

The Troop Program Resources book has several suggested formats for courts of honor, including the Eagle court of honor, plus a checklist of points to consider.

This post applies directly to me because:

I am an Eagle awaiting his board

I am Scott

KIlts, in the Scottish community, are often added to formal wear. My uncle wears his kilt with a tuxedo top to all formal events, and this is widely accepted. If the kid wants to wear a kilt with a Boy Scout Uniform top, by all means let him! Let's be atleast a little bit culturally tolerant. The "Official" Boy Scout uniform is not necessary for a COH. I think that this can be a great learning experience for all present at the COH. I commend this scout for representing his heritage.

Scott

I am on your side on this, if it is to honor your heritage and your SM approves then go for it. Don't let a few "uniform police" scouters scare you off, this is your day.

F Scouter, I stand corrected what I stated as a rule was in fact a long time custom in my council, not a rule, yet every troop kept that custom in that council, every Eagle COH always had a council rep, Commissioner, SE or DE in attendance.

Scott

If the kilt was part of this young mans hertiage then the question would never have been posted which it is not. There would not have been any problem with him wearing a kilt, but his reason for wearing a kilt is because he likes it, not becuse of his hertiage.

I just fail to see why a kilt is anymore acceptable than other other item of "Non-Official-Scout-Uniform"?

If the Lad was the fruit of Punk Rockers would it be fine and dandy to wear punk rock garb? I feel sure that most forum members would say not!!

We have the uniform. We as Leaders in the BSA should encourage and promote the uniform and the uniform method.

However, if at the end of the day we make the case to the Scout and he makes the choice not to wear the BSA uniform, the choice was/is his.

He may choose not to wear the uniform for all sorts of reasons. Some which might seem more acceptable to some of us than others.

While having a uniform and opting not to wear it just because he wants to be different, doesn't sit well with me. (No matter if he wants to wear a kilt or his PJ's) Not wearing the pants because he doesn't own them seems to me to be more acceptable. Sure I would try to see if there was some way of having him wear the full official BSA uniform, but I try and see if there is a way to get each and every member in full uniform.

Eamonn.

If it was me and I was the SM, I would defer the question to the PLC. I personally wear the full uniform, encourage uniform inspections, and speak about the uniform as a Method/way to reach a goal. The eight Methods of Scouting are of equal value to me and I would not change them. Being rigid about these Methods is not a Method or a goal either. I want the Scouts to learn Leadership and this is a type of question that will bring to mind the elements of our beliefs. It is in the answering of the question that will open eyes as to how we think and what we are doing in Scouting. The answer is important only in regard to addressing the issue within what we know and not the answer itself. It is generally after we evaluate an honest attempt at answering a question that real learning takes place all around.

FB

I recently saw a picture of the Scouts in kilts and tan shirts. They may have been Scottish maybe not. It was a very nice look. Much dressier than our green "action fit" pants. We have a Scout who is also a member of the Scouts of Coasta Rica. His Eagle COH is coming up. which uniform does he get to wear?

"which uniform does he get to wear?"

If a boy was earning the Costa Rican equivalent of the Eagle award, being presented by the Costa Rican Scouts organization, in Costa Rica, would it be proper to wear a uniform from the United States Scout organization (BSA)?

Assuming that the scout is a registered member of the BSA, and that the Eagle Scout award is granted by the BSA, I would say this is a no-brainer. If he were being awarded the top award of the Asociacin de Guias y Scouts de

Costa Rica, then he would wear that uniform.