English interpreter strip - a joke I assume?

Isn't it strange how we are so self centered as to think that English is the only language that Scouts speak. Years ago when I went to a Girl Scout International event in Vermont there were interpreters there for scouts from other countries.

We had scouts from all over the world. Many did not speak English. So I can fully see how there would be an English interpreters patch. And within our own country there are boys that do not speak English well. I mean geeze We teach spanish kids in school in their own language because they don't speak English well enough to learn in this countries language.(This message has been edited by Lynda J)

I talked about this with a leader at a training meeting last night. He laughed. He has a boy in his district that earned the English Interpreters strip. Seems he works with a Pack that is heavely Asian and some do not speak English well. He interprets from Cambodian to English for this unit.

So he earned his English interpreters strip.

• 10 months later...

The requirements as I understand them are:

Boys and adults may wear this strip if they show their knowledge of a foreign language or the sign language for the hearing impaired by:

1. Carry on a five-minute converstion in the language.

2. Translate a two-minute speech or address.

3. Write a letter in the language.

4. Translate 200 words from the written word.

Now, for my kids, English is not a foreign language (well maybe proper English is!) so I iterpret that they could not earn the English interpreter strip. Now, what is the definition of foreign? Should a Spanish speaking hispanic, born in Mexico but a US Citizen living in Texas be able to earn an English Interpreter strip? In my book no but he should be able to earn his Spanish Interpreter strip. To others, foreign may mean different than what he learned originally (i.e. his second or third, etc. language) regardless of the predominant language of his country of citizenship.

Of course, the intent of the strips are to show others that you are able to communicate in the language shown with the understanding that it is not the predominant language.

Sign language is considered a language; requirement 3 does not apply.