Neckerchief

The insignia guide (2003-2005, I assume this hasn't changed) says, with regard to if you should wear a neckerchief in a troop, "Boy Scouts neckerchiefs are optional. The troop decides by a vote, and all members abide by the decision." Has anyones troop ever actually done a vote on this? Is the vote of the troop committee, troop youth, troop PLC...? Also, do you have a new vote every year (This year you need a neckerchief, next year you don't, following year you do...)?

What purpose does the Patrol Method serve if it is not used?

The troop elects leaders to represent their interests in the PLC just as we elect the representatives in our government to represent us. By allowing the PLC to excercise their representative responsibilities the entire "troop" has voted on the issue.

What you want to avoid is having the decision made by adults. The decision should be made by the youth members. That is the role of the PLC.

In the ideal world, a neckerchief design would be decided on by the boys when a troop is formed, and tradition would make them want to continue with it. I've never had a troop vote to decide to change their neckerchief design, but I'm sure it occurs all the time, it's up to the unit's boys to decide what they want to do.

One more thing - if the troop decides to wear the neckerchief, the troop needs to decide if it will wear it under the collar or over the collar (collar should be rolled under) and ALWAYS with the top button of the shirt unbuttoned. The whole troop should wear it the same way.

acco40 wrote:

"One more thing - if the troop decides to wear the neckerchief, the troop needs to decide if it will wear it under the collar or over the collar (collar should be rolled under) and ALWAYS with the top button of the shirt unbuttoned. The whole troop should wear it the same way."

YES! AMEN!

THANK YOU!

I, personally, prefer over the collar, in the metod described, and have NEVER worn it any other way (but, then again, I am not in a Unit currently, but a district volunteer).

I don't disagree, Bob. But that's not what it says. It says "troop".

I can't help but think that the Bubbas in Irving read the things we argue about and laugh their fool butts off! Does it really matter? Whatever the troop decides to do is fine with me, as long as the boys have ownership of the process and are not dictated by adults.

IS it clear that it is the youths decision on whether or not to wear the neckerchief? I could imagine many in my troop saying that it is the decision of the troop committee, just as easily as it is a decision of the troop's youth. Any ideas on how I could counter this argument?

"Any ideas on how I could counter this argument?"

Yes, the committee could take Troop Committee Challenge and/or read the Troop Committee Guidebook. They would learn that their purpose is to support the Scoutmaster and the decisions of the PLC. And that the committee is not a decision-making body.

You know, and I know that the top button is supposed to remain unbutton when wearing the neckerchief under the collar. So help me convince Nephew to leave his undone. He doesn't think it looks right and absolutely insists on wearing it buttoned....this from a kid who has only worn a tie twice in his life.

Also - what are the feelings wearing the bolo instead of the Troop scarf? Even as a Cub Scout he liked wearing the bolo as a change to his rank scarf. His Troop gives the Troop Scarf after 3 months of membership, so I had bought him the Boy Scout bolo which he still wears often.

Michelle - CM P102

"You know, and I know that the top button is supposed to remain unbutton when wearing the neckerchief under the collar. So help me convince Nephew to leave his undone. He doesn't think it looks right and absolutely insists on wearing it buttoned....this from a kid who has only worn a tie twice in his life. "

Someone needs to educate 'Nephew' on how to wear shirts. As you point out, unless you are wearing a tie, the top button is left unbutton. Show him the pictures in the scout handbook and magazines.

"Also - what are the feelings wearing the bolo instead of the Troop scarf? Even as a Cub Scout he liked wearing the bolo as a change to his rank scarf. His Troop gives the Troop Scarf after 3 months of membership, so I had bought him the Boy Scout bolo which he still wears often. "

Personally prefer it. I've never been a big fan of neckerchiefs. I only wear one when I have to, usually the Wood Badge one, nowadays. When I was a scout, I got a collared shirt and wore a bolo tie. (this was in the days when kids wore a shirt with a v-neck, no colar, and neckerchief.

Michael Brown

Thank you all for your replies. A slightly different question I have is, what do you see as the advantages and disadvantages of wearing a neckercheif with the uniform? For us, almost nobody wears the neckerchief, even though we have it as part of our uniform.

A seperate but related question that I have is is the decision about wearing the hat also made by the troop? The Boy Scout Hanbook mentions that the hat is optional (in the same sentance as the neckerchief) but the Insignia Guide makes no reference to this.

Thanks,

Eric

From a practical standpoint the neckerchief has few really good uses. It is hot in the summer, gets in the way, woggles are always getting lost and it gets in the food at meals. Some of them are too small to be used for bandages as shown in the handbook. Really, the only thing it has going for it is tradition. I have a whole bunch of them dating back to my youth. The only one I wear is my Wood Badge one with the leather woggle and I don't wear it too often.