Which "Year Pins" do I wear?

I've read this site...

http://members.aol.com/coffeeweb/LO/yearpins.htm

...but I would like to see what different people do for their year pins.

I was a Cub Scout for 3 years, then a Boy Scout for 7 Years, and now I'm in my first year of being a Cubmaster leader.

So, should I just get one pin? Or do I get seperate ones?

And are pins worn at all times, or are they like medals, and just for special occasions?(This message has been edited by cineburk)

I just checked on this recently, and was told that you're allowed to wear multiple pins, each one representing the highest number of years in each part of Scouting. Each has a different backing, so that's how they're differentiated. So, you could have multiple pins on your uniform.

I would probbly get seperate pins (but I am still a scout and don't have to decide what I want to do yet). As to your second question, that is kindof hard to answer since you could, in theory, always wear your metals. I, however, only wear my medals on special events, but always where my service stars.

You may wear either a 10 year pin with a blue background, or a 3 year pin with a gold background and a 7 year pin with a green background. Then, when you finish a full year as an adult you may add a 1 year pin with a blue background. OR, you may add up all your service in total and wear a 10 year pin with a blue background.

From the Insignia Guide:

"The stars are worn with the appropriate color background for the phase of Scouting in which the service was rendered. If an individual's primary registration is in one phase of Scouting and later in another, separate stars with the appropriate background and numerals may be worn simultaneously. Or, leaders may combine youth and adult tenure into one or two stars with blue background."

You may wear them anytime you want. As a practical matter its kind of a pain to remove and replace them every time the shirt is washed.

I wear a yellow 3-year, a green 7-year and a light blue 7-year.

Gonna trade them all in for a "20" in three years....

I wear them at Pack meetings, recruitment events, school functions, District and Council events. Actually I think the only place I don't always wear them is when I am roving around the neighborhood stopping in and checking on Den meetings.

CMM(This message has been edited by Cubmaster Mike)

The total of the pins may not exceed your total service in Scouts. For example: you have 3 years in Cubs, stayed in Boy Scouts till you were 18 -- so 7 years but joined Sea Scouts at 14 and stayed there till you were 21 so 7 years there and now you have been an Adult leader since you turned 18 and became a ASM and you are now 38, so you have 20 years there. You have been in scouting for 30 years, but if you add up the years for all the levels you come up with 37 years. So I think you would only use the number on your pins for the years you have primary registration in the different programs.

My son joined Cub Scouts on September 1 2003. He crossed over to Boy Scouts on May 31, 2004. How would he correctly calculate the service star(s). Please note that being prior service I have been very picky with him about his uniform, my efforts in training him have been very successful. He is not extremely picky and wants his uniform to be perfect. He wants to be an example for the other youth in his Troop. Thanks for your help.

As a leader, you can mix and match all you want within the basic rules. On a practical level, I wore a single pin on blue- quick and simple in keeping with the 'clean uniform' policy. Besides, it was easier to take off and reinsert each time I washed the shirt!

As for what constitutes a 'year' for perfectionists- think of it as more of a 'program year' than a calendar year. These are meant to show about how long you've been a Scout, not a legal contract.

It can get confusing if you try to make it too specific, so just 'go with the flow'. Tiger, Wolf, Bear and Webelos could count as a year each. In the Boy Scouts, they generally get a new year whenever the troop awards them. Some troops do it on the anniversary of joining (my fave). Others do it as a group at one COH or another. It usually averages out about the same.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...