Anyone else do no uniforms?

I am in a troop that chooses to not wear Class A uniforms until their Eagle Boards and Ceremonies. Once a year, we attend scout camp and wear a Class B (red polo shirt with the scout logo on it) to dinner and campfire. We come to troop meetings and campouts in plain clothes. Are there ANY other troops that operate like this?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

drockstur, WELCOME!

I get the feeling from your post that you are a Scout, rather than a leader. Forgive me if I'm assuming incorrectly.

Do you know WHY your unit makes this choice? How long has this been the custom?

How do you and other Scouts feel about it?

I don't think any troop in my district is decidedly non-uniform, though of course there are many that aren't as successful as they would like to be when it comes to uniforming.

jd

Interesting post there, drockstur.

Frankly, I don't think it's especially important for you to look for support from other troops if your non uniform uniforming method works for your troop.

Indeed, I was just talking to an Assistant District Commissioner who said that uniforming could be a barrier to new boys joining a Troop, and she suggested having one non uniformed meeting per month which might be useful as a way of encouraging new boys to attend troop meetings.

So my question to you is: does the method you describe work well for your troop? If so, what are the advantages and disadvantages of that practice that you see?

And why go to using uniforms only for Eagle Scout candidates? Do the Scouts WANT to use the uniform at that point, or do they feel pressured by district level advancement committees to appear in uniform? If the district committee is the only reason, I think that is wrong --- uniforms are not required in Boy Scouts as I understand it.

I invite you to tell us more about how this works for your troop.

Seattle Pioneer

I know this is a slippery slope, but if the Troop can be boy lead into not wearing a uniform, what about electing not to use the Patrol Method, Adult Association, Advancement, the Outdoor Program, et al. is not the employment of the methods of scouting that which makes it unique and "scouting"?

Can a Troop elect not to follow the Guide to Safe Scouting?

Edited Part:

Reading the initial post, I realize the troop doesnt eschew the uniform, its used during Eagle "boards" what ever that is and cermonies. Does this mean only the Eagle scout wears the uniform at his Court of Honor, or does the whole troop?(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

Boy lead does not mean adult abdicated. The methods of scouting are there as a road map for the adult leaders as signposts that the road you are traveling is a scouting program and not just activities in a scout shirt.

To think that by being boy lead that the adult has no role or responsibility in the direction or elements of the program is a gross misuse of the term.

The original post has not explained if their class B consists of anything more than a red polo and it makes a difference. Do they wear a scout activity uniform instead of field or "official" uniform or do they only wear a scout shirt, which by itself in a troop program is not a uniform at all.

My guess would be, and I would like to discuss this with drockstur, is 'is this the only method that is ignored or misused?. I would be willing to bet that it isn't.

Hi, drockstur, and welcome to the group :)

I don't know of any troops in my area that have decided to forego uniforms entirely. There are some/many that have decided, for a variety of reasons, to go with a uniform consisting of the Scout Class A shirt, neckerchief, and slide, basically not using the pants.

You'll hear from many here that are of the belief that you have to "cross every 't' and dot every 'i'" to be a real Scout program, but personally, I think that if your unit is successful without uniforms, than in your case, that's a program that works. It might be interesting to find out a bit more about why they decided to forego uniforms, and see if anyone might be interested in going in the "uniform direction".

You guys have become real politicians at this, by answering the questions you wished that I asked. I didnt ask about patrol methods or adult involvement.

If the uniform is not required, and the program encourages youths to make decision regarding the running of their unit, would the boys be within their rights to elect to forego the uniform?

Good point FScouter. But since the uniform isn't required, each unit has the option to wear or not wear it.

And just because drockstur's unit has made the decision to dress like they have doesn't mean they aren't following the other methods. Talk about reading into things! Geesh!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Though the pursuing the idea could certainly redirect the original posters focus, I don't think it's much of a stretch to BW's assumption. Obviously, we won't know until drockstur revisits.

IMHO, it IS a big step from "not encouraging uniforming" to making the Unit decision that "uniforms are undesired".

Speaking of assumptions, it sounds like the uniforms are desired for Eagle events and other "photo ops". If that's the case, I would suggest that, THAT decision cheapens the original choice. Either believe that uniforms are worthwhile or believe that they are not.

jd

Ed, you are absolutely wrong.

There are statements in various publications that boys should be encouraged to wear as complete a uniform as possible. Also, there is no hard and fast published rule stating uniforms are required and must be worn. You may infer from this that "a uniform is not required". That is far different from a unit making a decision that the uniform method will be cast aside. Units have no right to vote out program methods.

Ed, you have said many, many times that you love the uniform and wear it at every opportunity. If you love the uniform like you say you do, a logical person would think you would encourage others to wear it. Why is it then that EVERY TIME a uniform discussion arises you make a point to give permission to forum readers to skip the uniform?

The scouts in our troop voted to wear only a troop designed T shirt for regular weekly meeting.

The SPL will from time to time call a Scout Uniform inspection, that is the offical scout uniform. Naturally for all public, council, and national events the uniform is worn.

We are a troop of 25, and we get on average 20 scouts each week, and this includes our senior scouts. They come from thier sports activies, grab a burger, and don the T shirt. They are at the meeting, and thier presance does have an impact with the younger scouts.

At times I would like to see them in the uniform more often, but good attendance is a better battle to win. They all respect the uniform, and wear them proudly, and complete when they are requested to.

HHS