New Scoutstuff.org website

Ed, how do you think it could be better organized? Just curious, as I thought it was nicely done. However, I did notice that not all items are available on-line, but that may come in time. Like most on-line stores, this will take a ton of work, something I know from personal experience.

Here's my take:

The site is just a little bit too wide. If you notice, there's a scrollbar to go side-to-side, but it only goes over a few pixels. I think if they tighten up the header part just a little bit, it will get rid of that. Otherwise, people will keep going back and forth the whole time for next to no content.

Not a whole lot of product descriptions

Why have a "council shoulder patch" page if you are going to just refer them to the council of which they need the patch???

Guess that's it for now.

I think the organization could be a little bit better, i'm not a real huge fan of the text links like they have set up.

Go to the Grills & Stoves page. Do you see the Chef Camp Stove? Now go to the Camping Equipment page. It's there??? Same thing on the Cooking page. There are dutch ovens but the lid lifters are on the Camping page. The Coleman camping chair & the Crazy Creek chair are on the Sleeping page when they should be on the Camping or Miscellaneous page.

It makes it hard & frustrating to find stuff. The hard copy catalog is confusing enough!

Ditto hops!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Ed, you're right--just checked out the grill you mention and I can see how that would be confusing. Hops, I can't view any CSPs at all. I have also noticed that commissioner apparel is not on-line yet (but that says more about me that I actually know the catalog by heart :)). As for screen width, there is extra space on my computer screen, no scroll bar showing, and I checked out the FAQs; there are system requirements provided, so it seems they know this could be an issue for some. All in all, for the first day(s) of the site, it's a great start, and I suspect there will improvements over time as the glitches are worked out and feedback is recieved as the site is used.

• 3 weeks later...

Even says Class A Uniform on the pants pages! Oh no! Does this mean .....? Dare I say .....? There really is a "Class A Uniform"? (shuddering)

And (oh my) on the Insignia pages, the site states "For wear on a Class A uniform! Oh the humanity!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10(This message has been edited by evmori)

• 3 weeks later...

I took a tour of the online catalog, while waiting for my BSA Catalog to come in the mail.

The last time I order scout pants I rec'd a pair that had a elastic band sewed in around the waste. I never knew this kind of uniform pants were available. I worn them to a round table and a guy walked up and told me they were ladies pants. Needless to say I never wore them again.

I was trying to find a regular pair of scout pants for an adult. The picture on line doesn't give a very good idea of what I'm purchasing. I wish that all the pants were pictured and all gave a correct description of what I'm about to purchase.

I also would like to know what is available for Commissioners, sense I will be doing this job real soon. Is this in the Catalog that I requested?

Also is the red shirt, be worn with scout pants, for a troop visit by a Commissioner, or should a Class A scout shirt worn.

MIScout,

Your Roundtable friend was just pulling your leg. The Adult Men's scout trousers for the last several years has had the elastic in the waist, both in the long and short varieties. I have my old size 32 pair without elastic from the mid 1980's and the new size 32's actually fit better. You can find ones without elastic on eBay, but all the official trousers now I'm aware of have the elastic. If your still self-consious, wear the belt and no one will ever know.

Regards,

KonaScout

• 2 weeks later...

Ed wrote "Even says Class A Uniform on the pants pages! Oh no! Does this mean .....? Dare I say .....? There really is a "Class A Uniform"? (shuddering)

And (oh my) on the Insignia pages, the site states "For wear on a Class A uniform! Oh the humanity! "

UPDATE

I dropped an email at 8PM this evening to the distribution center mentioning how nice the new site was. I also pointing out that there is no Class A or Class B in the BSA uniforming.

I got a very nice reply within a few minutes thanking me for catching the ERROR and was told that the information would be passed to the webmaster to have the corrections made.

The folks at national do not live in ivory towers they are very accessable and work hard to do the job right.

BW

PS, there were only two clothing pieces I could find that said Class A, everything else including the insignias say "official uniform".(This message has been edited by Bob White)