Order of the Arrow Sashes

To my knowledge the wearing of OA sashes (or merit badge sashes) off the belt were NEVER authorized, tho it was something that many youth did. I've never seen anything saying it was ok in the OA literature or insignia literature. If anyone can find this, I've like to see it.

Since others have commented about what can be worn on the sash, I will only add that the Insignia Guide points out that 'sash backs' or 'legend patches' are NOT authorized for wearing on the OA sash. This is unusual, as the Insignia Guide almost never gets into what you can't wear.

others have commented on the when is it appropriate to wear the OA Sash, mini-sash patches, universal pocket arrow device and the like, so have nothing to add.

• 1 month later...

In response to scoutldr above, I must point out that there are 2 patches that may worn on the sash, if earned. The 50th Annivesary and 60th Anniversary awards may be worn on the sash. I earned my 60th anniversary award back in 1977. I wear to this date.

• 2 weeks later...

Interested in this last comment by milwscout580. Has anyone else ever heard of the autograph thing?

The reason I am curious is that the current National Chief is from our troop, and it might be kinda cool for some of his old troop, chapter or lodge to do this if they would want to, but won't go there until I can confirm one way or the other.

I have seen many sashes autographed by the National Chief, Vice-Chief and Regional Chiefs. I've seen some with all their signatures.

I've never seen any rule that says you can't get them signed. My personal feeling is that if you do so, please put them away and don't wear them. I do not understand the appeal of wearing a signed sash. I can understand getting them signed (same as getting a baseball signed or a book signed), but once done so I view that item as a valuable (to me) memoriabilia item and something I wouldn't wear.

• 6 months later...

Current OA Handbook states on page 57 and 58: "Nothing is to be worn on the sash, including signatures, patches of any kind, pins, or legends. The only exceptions are the 50th and 60th anniversary awards. Either of these may be worn as an option, by those who have earned them, on the shoulder portion above the bar at the point of the arrow. The sash is worn at Order of the Arrow functions and special Scouting activities, when members need to be identified as Arrowmen rendering special services."

Personally, I am not going to say anything to a Scout who takes pride in his membership and wears his sash proudly to a Court of Honor.

>Personally, I am not going to say anything to a Scout who takes pride in his membership and wears his sash proudly to a Court of Honor. >

Me, neither - especially not in our troop which is not very active in the OA. Not to mention that I'm not known as a member of the UP and don't aspire to it.

Vicki

(This message has been edited by Vicki)