How do you get the kids to wear the uniform?

You show up in uniform and your kid shows up in uniform, but the others are in varying degrees of scout clothes.

What can be done to improve uniform wearing?

(This message has been edited by Its Me)

We have the same issue in our new pack. Our family are the only ones in full uniform. We even have some leaders that don't own a uniform shirt. I am doing a presentation when school starts back up about wearing the uniform.

I am going to approach it from a pride standpoint. How boys should be proud to wear thier uniforms because uniforms tell the story of thier scouting career. How each and every little thing on the uniform has a story associated with it. I will use my own uniform as an example, since it has lots of doodads on it. I will point out my OA flap, knots, position patch, wood badge nameplate, neckerchief, philmont belt/buckle, etc.

Then I will point out my sons' patch vests and talk briefly about starting one of thier own to sew thier stories on. I will also point out how great it is when an unknown scout/scouter walks up and sees something unfamiliar on thier uniform/vest and says, "That's cool! How did you get THAT?" We will also announce a uniform inspection with patches for those that pass. I hope this motivates them to show off thier uniforms whenever they can.

As for the leaders..... I will be pointing out that the uniform is one of the methods and that we should be setting a good example. Sure they are expensive and uncomfortable, but we cannot expect the scouts to wear them if we won't.

Our Troop has uniform inspection every meeting. A points value is assigned to each part of the uniform.Book included.Every quarter the points are totaled and the 3 Scouts with the highest points are given a gift card to the local Sportsman warehouse.If by chance there is a tye in points.Attendence,rank advancement,or merit badges are figured in.Each of my sons at one time has earned a gift card. My middle son today got a new light weight sleeping bag for backpacking.With his cards I figure we got it for half price.With 3 boys to outfit it helps.Makes me happy and him too.

My rule in training was "If you are going to INSIST on a full uniform, ASSIST with uniforming".

Offer a used uniform bank. Offer Scouts a chance to do a fundraiser that they can use for uniforming (for example, we often did not press for FULL uniform until after the New Year, plenty of time for them to earn enough.)

Consider doing little things- in our Cub Pack, the pack owned the neckerchiefs. In fact, they were pre-sewn in a mostly rolled position, and kept at the meeting place (or taken to events). They were numbered, so we knew who used which one. Each one also had a history behind it (this Cub won the Pinewood in '97, this Cub became an Eagle in '99, etc. Oddly enough, each had a special history- gee!)

One local unit sponsered a 'uniform recylcing program' (it had a really cute name I cannot think of!)- they paid a bounty on any useable uniforms or parts turned in to them, and they 'rented' uniforms and parts out. People would find things at garage sales or thrift shops so they had a nice little supply. They would get washed, old insignia removed, pressed, and hung up neatly for later rental. I believe that something like 90% of their unit was in used uniforms. Thinking about it- this would make a sweet service project for a unit to offer to a district!

Make up your own mind about things like uniform pants. In our pack, the private school uniform slacks were the EXACT color and cut of the official uniform. There was no way on Earth I was going to authorize pulling pants down to check the labels, so we had an excellent full uniform compliance rate... except that the Scouts really hated that their Scout uniforms and school uniforms were so alike AND we were meeting in the school again!

Inspections: We simplified the process- after the first few full inspections, we started doing spot inspections- neckerchief, pen, and book; current rank, belt, and pants; things like that. It went a lot faster and actually seemed to work better. We also often asked for a demo of some rank-appropriate skill (knot, patrol call, first aid step, track ID, etc.)

Of course- we also offered immediate rewards for people passing our checkpoints- usually things like gum, ice cream pops, special beads or other wearables. One time it was a small plastic statuette of an old-time Scout I got from Oriental Trading Company (lots of great handouts there!) Another time it was a quarter.

Good advice but I must add that this is at the den level. Our pack is not particularly serious about wearing uniforms. But I would like my den to be. So keep the sugustions coming.

This may be heresy, but here it is...

I see a lot of discussion and controversy and tremendous amounts of energy being expended on uniforms in these forums ( that and those crazy Pinewood Derby parents ).

Our troop enforces Class A 'dress' uniforms only the first meeting of the month and at Courts of Honor. Class B, i.e.. scout related t-shirt, is acceptable for all other activities. FYI - We have troop t-shirts with our number and logo for all scouts. So far, I've never have a problem getting a scout to wear the uniform when asked.

My job is to deliver the program to the scouts. If I wanted to deliver uniforms, I'd be working for Aramark or Cintas... :-)

Just my $0.02...

"So far, I've never have a problem getting a scout to wear the uniform when asked."

Since the uniform is part of the program, would you have a problem getting them to wear it for the other 3 meetings a month? And what would you do to motivate them?

FS, I guess I just choose to put my energies into the other aspects of the program, i.e.. character, outdoor skills, etc... the uniform IS a part of our program, we just don't place as much emphasis on it as we do the other parts of the program...

So that being said, maybe its just 'California casual'... you know how things are out here on the 'left' coast... :-) ( Seriously though, my own observations is that these forums have a lot of midwest/eastern posters, and in my experience, the further east you go, the more formal things are... and I don't mean this in a negative way, just an observation ).

So would I have a problem getting them to wear it every week? In the past before I became SM - probably. Now? Dunno, maybe I should push it a little.

Scouting doesn't need to be done in a uniform. Scouting is a way of doing something and can be done in jeans and a t-shirt just as well as in a uniform.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Have you ever noticed that when an adult begins an exercise program, he or she starts wearing athletic apparel--a sweatshirt, perhaps, or a sweatsuit, along with fancy shoes? Sometimes it's just for that brisk walk around the neighborhood and sometimes it's for hours around the house before and after. It's part of the perceived process of becoming a fit person. By putting on that athletic uniform, the individual is "becoming" what he or she has selected as their goal.

This has been known for years by marketers of consumer products, who sell to who people want to be, rather than to who they are now.

Perhaps we (the unit leadership) need to position the uniform as a sign of an exclusive fraternity of young men. It isn't available to everybody. The people that wear it climb mountains, save lives, travel effortlessly through trackless wilderness, help their neighbors, rescue children. Its wearers do much. And much is expected.