Hats Off???? or Hats On

I am attending cubscout day camp with my son. When we are doing our outdoor flag cerimonies, we are told to take our hats off. Both him and I are wearing our offical scout headgear. My thoughts are that offical headgear is left on and you give the scout salute. If you are in civialion clothes you would remove your head gear and put the hat or your hand over your heart. If you are in a mixed uniform then it is up for grabs. What are your thoughts???

Brian (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

Unless you are in full uniform, you should remove your hat and place your hand over your heart. Activity shirts are not considered uniform.

We had this issue come up one day at Wood Badge. It was so hot on our second weekend that the scoutmaster let us stay in activity shirts all day. At the flag ceremony there was some confusion over what to do. Afterward, it was explained to us.

gavvin - while an activity shirt does not make a (an?) uniform, one may be in uniform while wearing an activity shirt. And as BW stated, "Outdoors, in uniform, the hat stays on while you use the scout salute for the program you are representing."

I agree with Gavvin.

Shorts, Day Camp T-Shirt & Cub Scout hat does not make an official Cub Scout uniform. Hat off.

Wearing official Cub Scout shorts/pants, Cub Scout shirt, & Cub Scout hat - Hat on.

I have been in full uniform, as are a few of the adult leaders. The boys are in day camp teeshirts, and a full mix of hats. We follow along, and do not make waves. I think they are doing this becouse it is easyer that explaining it to the 100 boys that are there. I have been out of scouting since 1980, and found many changes. I was just wondering if this was just one of them.

Thank you for your feedback

Brian

"We follow along, and do not make waves."

I don't think that makes waves at all. The Insignia Guide tell what to do with the hat during a flag ceremony. Following the Guide is not making waves. The waves are made by the person who attempts to have you do the wrong thing.

BobWhite wrote " Outdoors, in uniform, the hat stays on while you use the scout salute for the program you are representing. "

While I would argee that that is what any BSA publication would tell you to do, is that what THE LAW says to do? The US Code (which conatains the flag code) says that those in uniform shall "render a military salute". As far as I know the Cub Scout salute does not count as a military salute.

• 1 month later...

If saluting in uniform with hats on outdoors (which I'm sure it probably was) was in common use by Boy Scouts on June 15, 1916, then it's okay now!

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode36/usc_sup_01_36_06_II_08_B_10_309.html

TITLE 36 > Subtitle II > Part B > CHAPTER 309

CHAPTER 309BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Release date: 2004-11-08

 30901. Organization

 30902. Purposes

The purposes of the corporation are to promote, through organization, and cooperation with other agencies, the ability of boys to do things for themselves and others, to train them in scoutcraft, and to teach them patriotism, courage, self-reliance, and kindred virtues, using the methods that were in common use by boy scouts on June 15, 1916.

 30903. Governing body

 30904. Powers

 30905. Exclusive right to emblems, badges, marks, and words

 30906. Restrictions

 30907. Annual and special meetings

 30908. Annual report