Gold Stars on Troop Flag

Certainly the loss of a Scouter is no less. (hopefully nothing above was interpreted as suggesting that!)

From my research in fall of 2003, the interpretation of "member" was any current or former registered youth or adult.

Unfortunately, at this time, there is no further clarification in any BSA publication. I have written a proposal to clarify and revitalize this unit recognition, and worked through my local council professional staff to get it on the table with the National Executive Staff, but of course the national council does not turn these sorts of ideas around very quickly.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the Venturing Crew Advisor who said last year:

"One must remember that not all registered members of BSA are Boy Scouts. I currently have registered crew members serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. One of my boys has returned from Iraq 100% disabled. Our Crew has no Troop Flag to put any stars on, the young man didn't die, but come Memorial Day, I'll be thinking alot about him and his sacrifice and the other two crew members serving on active duty presently."

Get a Crew Flag anyway.

The 10th anniversary of Venturing is this year too.(possible veteran emblem?)

YiV

Ron

• 2 months later...

Thanks, Owl! I was out camping this weekend and thought I should have done this before I left, so was happy to see that you were a step ahead of me.

On a related note, with the assistance of key professionals in my council, have made some headway in getting this some visibility with the national office ... *cheer* ... a few more years of patient persistence, and who knows what may happen?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Bumping this thread up again as we approach Memorial Day.

I have had a couple of good conversations with a District professionals from a few councils, a national executive staff member, and with National President John Gottschalk this year -- I keep on pushing for a top down renewal of this unit recognition, but until it comes, grass roots is doing quite nicely.

Here's hoping no one has any need for this recognition, but I know otherwise.

My offer still stands -- I will help anyone who needs it, any way I can, and I will travel as my schedule allows to attend whatever you do.