Gold Stars on Troop Flag

If the requirement was that the individual had to be a current registered member at the time of death, that would pretty much eliminate all youth members. It's not likely youth die in the service of their country while still an active member of BSA. It seems unlikely the stars would be limited to adult members only.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Renewing the thread.

Memorial day is coming up and former Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts are still getting killed.

I think this is another way to honor them. I think their folks would be proud to know that the unit remembered them.

Hey Irving if you can read this how about a one or two page story. The readership of Scouter is alot more than here.

Been alot of talk about BOR's and changes to program.

I'd like for national to allow a board of review question that said, "there are 6 stars on our troop flag can you tell us why"

"Can you name who the stars are for."

One must remember that not all registered members of BSA are Boy Scouts. I currently have registered crew members serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. One of my boys has returned from Iraq 100% disabled. Our Crew has no Troop Flag to put any stars on, the young man didn't die, but come Memorial Day, I'll be thinking alot about him and his sacrifice and the other two crew members serving on active duty presently.

Stosh

Stosh

I don't know what your purpose was. I was trying to get the word out to as many folks as we could to remember the fallen warriors.

Without a doubt I support:

Your warrior.

Those who are still deployed.

Their mission.

The Commander in chief that sent them.

We have one Soldier depoyed currently, our other Soldier and our Marine are back at home. Our VA had better take excellent care of your Warrior.

I was in two small scraps and fortunate enough not to see the Hell these men are seeing.

May God bless them all.

Thanks so much for renewing this thread!

I will renew my offer as well:

For anyone who is interested, I will happily share the ceremony we created and used, and you are free to adapt to your own taste. Further I would happily offer any assistance I can to help anyone prepare for their own event.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a Scouter of 29 years and had never heard of the gold strars on a unit flag until I read this post. I went to my copy of the Insignia Guide 2005 and sure enough its there on page 55. Now I have a different but related question, what is the veteran insignia it talks about? It states that the veteran insignia #11117 is affixed to unit and local council flags midway between the top and bottom of the flag and midway between the pole and the flag emblem. What does this look like? There is no picture (that I can find) in the insignia guide. I am familar with the veteran unit bars that are wore on the Scout uniform, does the one on the flag have something do do with these? Any and all information and help will be greatly appreciated.

Ir would appear that the Veteran Unit Insignia is not related to military service, but rather to the number of years the unit has been chartered. Here is the link to the ScoutStuff.org listing -

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?ctlg=05NDC&ctgy=PRODUCTS&c2=FLAGS_RIBBONS&C3=UNITFLAGS&C4=&LV=3&item=111VUF

It can be ordered in 5 year increments starting with 5 and going to 95.

I can go to sleep now as I've learned many new things by surfing the site tonight. Thanks all.

John

Tiger Den Leader (for 3 more days, then Wolf)

Pack 13

Potomac District

Shenandoah Area Council

drsmith,

Go to page 2 of this thread to the first post. Click on the new thread about blues stars. In that thread, I think on the second page, someone has a website on service flags. In the site, a veterans bar in mentioned and shown. It is a blue field with one white star on it honoring U.S. Vet's.

Those that have posted that they have seen Veteran Bars on Troop flags, is the above described item what you have seen, or something resembling it?

Thanks to WVCubDad I now know what the Veteran Unit Emblem looks like (the veteran pin, yellow on blue background) This may look good on a Pack flag, but not to sure how it would look on a Troop flag.

uzz2bowl,(or anyone else) where did you get your gold stars? Did you order them from someplace or make them yourself? Any certain size?

Thanks in advance for any help you can send my way. I plan to pass this information on at my Roundtable as I know that no one in this part of Kansas knows anything about these.

I am deeply sorry to hear that you have occasion to order these, but equally happy that you are taking the time to do so.

The gold stars have a part number given in the insignia guide (No. 11117) which is orderable through the national supply division. They are sold as a pair -- ordering one part gets you a matched pair of stars.

They are fairly cheap -- you might pay as much in shipping as you do for the actual stars. The part# is -not- currently orderable online, but if you call them, you can order them -- it is -not- a restricted part number.

Have you given any thought to holding a ceremony for adding these on your flag?

ilduncans,

Isn't No. 11117 the ordering No. for the Veterans Insignia?

Has anyone determined if the Veterans Insignia relates to U.S. War Vet's? What are the dimensions of the Insignia, that it fits on the troop flag?

No -- 11117 is the Memorial Gold Stars. You can validate that this part number is -not- the veteran unit emblem online, as the veteran unit emblems have a different part number depending on the number of years, listed in the table below.

Also -- the veteran unit emblem is a unit recognition based on continuious years of a unit's charter. These are a unit flag decoration equivalent to the bar worn on the left sleeve, just below the unit number -- and nothing whatsoever to do with military veterans.

Part # - Number of years

11115 - 80

11116 - 30

11118 - 40

11119 - 50

11120 - 75

11121 - 70

11122 - 60

11123 - 65

11124 - 25

11125 - 5

11126 - 45

11127 - 20

11128 - 10

11129 - 15

11130 - 35

11131 - 55

11139 - 85

11146 - 90

11147 - 95

Thanks ilducans for your help. You have cleared up my confusion on the item numbers for both the gold stars and the veteran unit emblems. I do not have a need for the gold stars, but as the Dist. BSRTC, I try to find new or little know facts to present to the units in my District. Do not know for sure if any units have had members that died in service to our country, but one never knows. One small point of correction to your last post, the veteran unit bar goes above the unit number (between CSP and unit number) not below as you stated, but hay, I'll forgive you this time.

• 6 months later...

renewing this thread -- as relevant as ever.

I have found two units in my home district that have former members fallen in Iraq, and another in Virginia.

My Wood Badge and NLS experiences this year have both afforded me opportunities to carry on my word-of-mouth crusade to raise awareness of this recognition in broader and broader circles, and I am aware that others are starting to pick up the cause as well. Many thanks to anyone who has helped to raise awareness.

I have worked with my local council professional staff to draft a proposal to the national office to revitalize this unit recognition. Theoretically, this should get submitted, later this month.

My offer still stands for anyone who needs -- all of my research and original material are available for the asking, and I would happilly provide any support required for your own ceremony.

• 2 months later...

Looking at my copy of the Insignia Guide, it states:

Special Flag Decorations

Gold stars (memorial). Gold stars may be affixed to the unit flag indicating members of the unit who died in the service of their country. The stars should be placed along the staff edge of the flag, parallel to the staff, with the bottom star 6 inches from the staff edge and 6 inches from the bottom edge; subsequent stars to be placed proportionately on that line, up to the place assigned to the veteran insignia, No.�11117.

I would interpret "members" of the unit to include any registered member, be it Scout or Scouter. How many troops, teams, packs, or crews have Scouters who are Guardsmen, Reservists, or Active Duty? Not to mention the Far East, Direct Service, or Transatlantic Councils. Is the loss of an Assistant Scoutmaster or Scoutmaster any less than of a former Scout?