A modest proposal on "Class A" Uniforms

Madkins, the dress uniform is worn primarily by professional scouters. Our DEs keep theirs in their office on hangars or they wear them while the uniform rests on the hangars.

How often do we see the dress uniform, some us see them a lot. Its a big program, you cannot make good assumptions based only on the little bit you alone see.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Madkins, dear friend and associate,

Where ever did I suggest you wanted to do away with it. You asked if anyone wore it and I told you who did.

Yes, some volunteers wear it. As an example our council president wears it on occassions when he is meeting with business people or at formal dinners when representing the council.

A pleasure

BW

BW- Sorry, I guess I'm getting gun shy! the comment "Its a big program, you cannot make good assumptions based only on the little bit you alone see." made me think that you thought that I was thinking something. And please don't ask me to write that bit out again! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fellow Scouters,

The Scouter Dress Uniform (blue blazer, gray slacks, etc., etc.) is rarely worn. Certainly most Scouters do not bother to purchase the component parts as they would rarely have opportunity to choose to wear them. However I have a full "dress uniform" for optional wear as required. As a Council Past President, I have a number of opportunities to be more or less "properly clothed" in such attire. The occasions that I normally choose to be arrayed as such include National Council Annual Scout meetings, Council Annual Recognition Dinners and Meetings, Boy Scout Sunday Services at my church. Some of these occasions offer receptions, etc., where alcoholic beverages may be offered, in which case I wouldn't be caught dead in a field uniform. The dress uniform is often used by me in making presentations and cases for the several United Way Allocation Boards where we are requesting considerable funding for Scouting also when calling on significant community and business leaders where we are seeking considerable financial or other support for our Scouting program. So, I believe, there is a place for this uniform, but mostly, I wear a full field uniform. When acting as a Unit Commissioner I prefer to wear the "plain" shirt, i.e., no square knots, jambo patches, etc., so as not to intimidate anyone of the Scouters I serve but instead to serve their needs first. I have several uniforms with all the "bells and whistles," but they are only worn at the proper time and place.

YIS, Jim Costello, Unit Commissioner, GST Council #255, BSA, Ann Arbor, Michigan