A modest proposal on "Class A" Uniforms

But Hunt the BSA already spells out what the three uniforms consist of, they explain them in training, in the hanbooks, they even give you pictures of them.

With all that information if there are people who cannot figure out what the uniforms are with their current names, then how will altering the names make it any clearer?

Could it be the problem has nothing to do with the names?

Madkins.

I could stand 2 dozen people in front of you all in a different looking official BSA "field uniform". Each would be different each would be correct. Any would be appropriate for formal wear. How many subcategories would you want?(This message has been edited by Bob White)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Could it be the problem has nothing to do with the names?"

It could be, and probably is to some extent. I do think there is a problem with the names, however. The name "field uniform" is so nonsensical when applied to the current uniform that I think it is quite natural for people to use terms like "Class A" and "ceremonial" or "full" to describe it. The words "field" and "activity" do not convey (to me anyway) what the difference might be between these uniforms. Class A and B at least convey the sense of levels of formality.

Sometimes terminology catches on, sometimes it doesn't. The use of "Class A" and "Class B" is widespread because people found the terms to be a useful and understandable shorthand. "Field uniform" and "activity uniform" don't seem to work as well. I also think that, unless "Class A" and "Class B" are postively banned or actively discouraged, it will be very difficult to get them out of Scouters' standard lexicon.

So I would say, yes, it does make sense to officially adopt common usage. But I also agree with some other posters that there are really *three* levels of "official" uniform:

Class A -- tan shirt, Scout pants or shorts, socks, belt, optional hat, optional neckerchief.

Class A "Plus" -- Class A plus merit badge sash, medals, hat (if outdoors), and neckerchief.

Class B -- troop or camp T-shirt, Scout pants or shorts, socks, belt, optional hat.

There are also times when it is appropriate for the Scout to *not* be in uniform on a Scouting activity: swimming, caving, a dirty service project, etc. Aside from its death-grip on unpopular pants, BSA really is fairly practical about the whole uniform thing.

Dan

First off if I wanted to ware my Class A Uniform I would reenlist in the Army. So stop with the Class A and B stuff! My understanding of the uniforms is there is the Dress uniform which is the Blazer, Neck tie and gray slacks. The Scout or Field uniform is the tan shirt and green pants. The activity uniform (which is new to me and the forms is the first place I heard about it) is the shirt and pants.

When I was a Boy Scout and was camping, Hiking, boating, and etc. the troop just wore normal clothing so we would not mess up our scout uniforms.

The "Activity uniform"- t shirt and Boy Scout pants or shirt would have still been a problem during my Boy Scouting days. There may still be a chance of messing up the Scout pants.

Mark Maranto

Mark- in a lot of ways, I agree with you. Life in Scouting would be a lot easier if we had 'the uniform' and maybe an optional unit T-shirt (no pants requiremnt) for camping, etc. As a youth, all I recall is the basic uniform, and a dressier version of it for Courts of Honor (sash, medals, all the pins you usually don't wear cuz they get lost, shined brass, etc.)

Hunt- no apologies needed. I was just thinking about the most common varients I have seen in various units. Our cub pack, for example, TOLD Scouts who choose to wear the uniform to school to NOT wear neckerchiefs or any 'pin-ons' at the request of the teachers (too many falling slides, etc.! Another differetn thread, tho).

I also agree that 'field' and 'activity' are... shall we say 'odd' choices for uniform names. If anything, since the program is SUPPOSED to be an activities program, the normal uniform might well be the 'activity' uniform and the other the 'field' uniform since it is most common 'in the field'.

You have the option now to where whatever you want in camp or out. its just that not everything you were is a BSA uniform. Nothing says you can't wear a t-shirt and anything you want in camp. Nothing says you have to n=be in a BSA uniform all the time.

Very true that you don't need to be in uniform all the time, especially at summer camp. However, the Uniform Method tends to work better when the boys are in uniform. I think the "activity" (Class B) uniform is intended to be practical and durable and comfortable for most outdoor activities, so that boys *can* be in uniform all of the time at summer camp if they bring a couple of pairs of Scout shorts and a few Scout t-shirts with them.

Dan

Who says the BSA discourages the term Class A?

From the official National Jamboree web site:

"Low-profile twill cap has a precurved visor. For wear with Boy Scout Class A Uniform."

"Boy Scout Insignia for Class A uniform shirts."

"Boy Scout Leader Insignia for Class A uniform shirts"

I'm surprised and wish they used the term "Field Uniform" but alas, I guess they just knowingly for their own convenience, comfort and personal preference chose not to follow the "rules."

• 2 months later...

Our troop tries to keep it simple:

Full Dress Uniform - all bells and whistles, no OA sashes because it's not an OA function.

Dress Uniform - shirt with all patches and insignia in the proper place (that's another problem), uniform shorts or trousers

"Class B" - any scout t-shirt (I'm a scouter; I have a closet-full of those!), uniform shorts. Knee-high socks preferred.

"Campin' clothes" - NOT your uniform (Get that stained or worse and Mamma ain't gonna be happy. And when Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.).

Ya know what really needs to be done about neckerchiefs . . . ? Make them in "adult" sizes. If you are over 6' tall with the neck that comes with it, the neckerchiefs available through Supply Division might make it down to the second button on the uniform shirt. It looks silly. The neckerchiefs used to be hugh square pieces of cloth that were first foled into a triangle then rolled as they are today. That way neckerchiefs on adults would go down the front of the shirt like the boys' neckerchiefs do. "Adult" sized uniforms exist for obvious reasons. Why not one of the most recognizible parts of the scout uniform as well. My Wood Badge neckerchief is almost long enough, but . . . .

Okay, . . . I've vented.

Class a, Class b, Class c, No class, Class dismissed.

Field Uniform, Field Dress, Service Dress, Play Dress up.

Activity uniform, Passive uniform, Uniformity.

Oh how my head hurts...

Remember...we are here for the youth.

Turn your energies on how you can better the youth in your unit. Instead of wasting time debating over stuff that nobody will ever agree upon. (Uniform police please forgive me)

"Turn your energies on how you can better the youth in your unit. Instead of wasting time debating over stuff that nobody will ever agree upon. (Uniform police please forgive me)"

If we don't debate about stuff that nobody will ever agree on, we may as well shut down these forums.

So, to continue the debate, I'll state we can better serve the youth in our units by utilizing all 8 methods of Scouting (including the Uniform Method), to achieve the aims of Scouting, to fulfil the mission of Scouting.

So- how many people have seen anyone in the Scout Dress uniform? I've seen many Scouters in suits with lapel pins or other Scout 'designators', but so far none of the dress uniforms.

So, basically we need a Scout equivilant of 'Sunday clothes (or 'photo day'), 'school clothes', and 'play clothes' to meet most of our unit's day-to-day needs?

It would be kinda fun to have three rhymin' words to describe these... DUds (Dressy Uniform), BUds (Basic Uniform), & GRUbs (Going Rough Uniform)?