"Old School" Ranks

My son is Life with one MB and a project to go.

I've found him the "heart only" life patch for both his Scout and Venturing Class A shirts.

As CC, I've found the 1970 era SPL, ASPL, (2) Quartermaster, and (2) Scribe patches. We're going to use them on a rotating basis for the Scout currently SPL.

BTW, the Executive Officer of my Chartered Partner has signed off as saying appropriate.

It is nice that the CEO of your chartering organization has signed off but he has absolutely no authority over the use of the BSA uniform. Only the BSA executive committee can determine what the uniform is and how it may be used. The use of Boy Scout Rank Advancement recognitions on the Venturing uniform is approved by the BSA whether your CEO signed off on it or not.

Did what jr56 recommended: Contacted my local professional staff. My District Director asked around the Council professional and commissioner staff: No objections whatsoever.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

"We're going to use them on a rotating basis for the Scout currently SPL."

How do you rotate patches? Do you mean issue the patch on a temporary basis, tnen unstitch it from the boy's uniform and turn it over to the next kid? Why not let each boy keep his position patch? There are 2 boys in our troop that would have a real problem if they were not permitted to keep their patch. What is the objective in using old patches?

Youth run elections for PLC positions semi-annually. Appointed warrants run up to 1 year, with minimum commitment of six months.

We buy patches from the Scout Shop at the end of youth tenure. A local business embroiders the patch with Troop and dates of tenure; the youth gets that for his patch jacket/blanket going forward.

Think a President and his cabinet.

Think the BSA program and the contents of the Boy Scout Handbook, Scoutmaster Handbook, Patrol Leaders Handbook, Senior patrol Leaders handbook, Scoutmaster Training, Troop Juniors Leader Training...That all say the elected SPL selects all troop officers and the PL selects all patrol officers. Why does only every other elected leaders gets to select his cabinet? Why do half the scouts not get to have that learning experience?

Think about.. are you asked to deliver your program or the BSA program?

Simple. PLC bought into the policy.

It's a matter of training time for the youth to be effective. A particular example is our Financial Scribe, who actually handles MONEY under the close supervision of the Treasurer.

CP Exec Off came to PLC and said "These are the desires of the Chartered Partner. We expect your concurrence or reasoned objections in one month."

The youth agreed with all but one position. The CP compromised there.

So ... 6 month election cycle, one year warrant cycle.

What's that people keep saying: The Chartered Partner OWNS the unit??? Hmmmm???

True but the BSA still owns the program. The CO agrees to follow it. Why should the CO care who is APL, QM, Troop Guide, OA Representative, Bugler, Instructer, JASM, Scribe, historian, librarian, Chaplains Aide, Den Chief, Treasurer (and by the way all treasuruers handle money or they would not be a treasurer)

These are just some of the troop and patrol offices that the SPL and PL are supposed to select. learning how to choose these people and how to make your team function is part of the learning and teaching process of the program. The goal is not to have a prfectly operating troop it is to give scouts responsibility and teach leadership skills.

Elected officers should have the ability and opportunity to select their own cabinet.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)