Adult Uniform -- Right Sleeve?

Hi folks,

I'm a new scouter and have been trying to learn and understand patch placement on the uniform -- how to "read" square knots, and how to know what is and is not "GI" by BSA standards. Naturally, I see a lot of diverse uniforming, different from what's shown on the inspection guide at ScoutStuff.com.

Most of the discrepancies I see are on the right sleeve. There's supposed to be flag and a Quality Unit patch. But I see a lot of scouters with patrol patches -- either their Wood Badge patrol, or their troop adult leader patrol or whatever. And there's one guy who has a region patch on his right sleeve.

From what I can see, it seems that these folks are out of uniform. Is this the case? If not, is there another source for showing what exactly can or cannot be worn on the right sleeve (or elsewhere for that matter)?

thanks, j

Can't a Webelos den leader whose boys go with a patrol name over a den number display a patrol emblem?

I've often wondered why a patrol patch exemption is not made for Wood Badge participants. Why is there not a Wood Badge knot that can be worn permanently on the uniform? Seems kind of odd considering the importance that is placed on the course.

Years ago in England when you completed the first part of your training what might be Specific Training, you were entitled to wear a patch with one Wood Badge bead on it. The patch became known as the Peanut Badge.

Being as the only time you wear a wood badge is when you are in uniform, having a knot as well might be looked upon as being a little bit over the top.

I have to beg, plead and sweet talk Her Who Must Be Obeyed to sew the patches on my shirts, so the fewer the better.

Eamonn.

(The sewing impaired scouter)

Region patches are one of my pet peeves.

The insignia guide (03-05 version) states "This insignia is reserved for regional officers, regional committee emembers, local council professional Scouters, and national staff with a regional responsibility..." "Adult regional world and national jamboree contingent staff and leaders may wear the insignia only during their assignment at the jamboree. The same rule applies to specifically designed regional insignia for a national event."

I figure that about 90% of the people that I see wearing this patch, should not be.

I wear a Beaver Patrol PAtch on my uniform; for "I used to be a Beaver".

I know it is a no-no to the Uniform Cops, but Mea Culps, I believe it helps out.

My ticket was to emphasise and reinforce Patrol unity in my Troop. Teh scouts had no real feeling of membership in there patrols, no patrol spirit.

Theuy would come up to me, see the Beaver on my shoulder and ask whats up with that? I would explain I was a member of the Beaver PAtrol and explain all the fun we had as Beavers; displaying our flag proudly, yelling our Yell at dinner time, etc. They would get this look of enlightment and start talking amonsgt themselves.

Now, Patrol Flags (some old, some brand new) are appearing whenever they are together. Patrol Yells sing out during meetings (and at McDonalds once when we stopped for lunch on way to camp!)

So, a little bit of fudging did some good!

And before I get chewed out that we should set an example by always being correct; true. But sometimes the "wrong way" helps out!

After all, "It's a game..." to paraphrase B-P!

Aardvark

I don't see adults who wear patrol patches as candidates for the chop.

I don't see how doing something you know to be wrong can be passed off as being a good example? I wonder if we were to adopt this style of teaching what the consequences might be?

Maybe I have an overactive imagination? But if we were to use this style of teaching for sharp tools, I see the makings of a Monty Python sketch. There would be no need for the parrot!!

Eamonn.