We have had many Eagles come out of this troop but not many seem to stay active. I fact one I called the other day to see if he had a usable email yet said that he had just been approved by council, signed paperwork and all, to get his Eagle so I probably wouldn't need one. I think he was implying that he would not be around much longer. Now I know this kid is about 16 so he has a few more years until he can register as an adult so what's with these Eagles not staying active. That being said we do have 2 who are, but the others you never see.

I know, I know I will hear all about program, but frankly we are a really busy troop with lots of activities, programs, merit badge work, high adventure,community involvement, fundraisers, camping, camping, camping, and parental support. I don't know what else we can do to entice these boys and the venture patrols don't seem to come to meetings much and plan very little. We have a Venture Crew starting up but not getting off the ground well. Some of the same kids.

Lack of interest? Lack of energy? Lack of strong leadership? Lack of organization? I don't know.

My boy is really young but the future does not look promising. How much do you have adults work with the older boys? I understand it is supposed to be youth led but they are going nowhere.

Our Troop is fairly small by most standards. The Eagles we've had the pleasure of working with recently, have gottin their Eagle toward their 18th birthday. They definitely had to work their social lives with Scouting, so I'm pleased with that. We occasionally have a younger Scout head for Eagle. We've had a couple of 16 year olds, and they've hung around for Palms, but mainly simply enjoyed being youth leaders and going on the camping trips.

You say that your Troop has all of the "stuff" going on, but can't seem to keep those Eagle Scouts interested. That's odd. It sounds as if there is the "tradition" of quitting the Troop once a Scout earns their Eagle. Ask these Eagles what's going on??? Go to the source. There's got to be a clue. Other than this point, it sounds like your Troop is very successful in fulfilling Scouting's goals. Keep doing it, and maybe your next Eagle will start a "new" tradition of continued service to the Troop until his future calls (college, armed services, tech school, or a career of some sort).

sst3rd

Finding a meaningful role for eagles under 18 is tough. A venture crew is one possibility. Such scouts are seldom interested in conventional leadership positions in the troop and probably should not block other scouts from those positions anyway. I have seen some troops with eagles serving as patrol leaders, but that is a rarity. One option is offering a "junior assistant scoutmaster" position. As I recall, the youth has to be 16 years old for this. In one troop I was in, a dedicated teenager eagle took on this role very effectively for a year before he graduated from high school and his family moved. He was a tremendous asset to us.

As to finding meaningful roles for Eagles there are plenty. How about Instructor? Junior Assistant Scoutmaster is another good role but I only utilize it with very mature Scouts. If you have a very young Eagle why not use him as a Den Chief? I use my older scouts to carry out the program, the PLC plans it and the older boys under the direction of the SPL make it happen. (at least it happens in theory)

Look folks, at this point Eagles are supposed to still be displaying leadership. Just because he made Eagle does not mean that he is "done." Any Eagle that truly understands what it is to be Eagle will tell you that Eagle is a lifelong obligation to live your life by the Scout Oath and Law. Part of that oath is "..to help other people at all times.." to me this also means the Eagle giving to younger scouts all the time, teaching and mentoring that was given to him. YOU ARE NEVER DONE. This needs to be explained to all Eagle candidates before the accept the Eagle. I do.