tote n' chip badge placement?

Vigil,

The Cubs can wear both the progress towards rank and a temporary patch. Webelos can wear both the compasss emblem and a temporary patch.

The progress towards rank and compass emblem go on the button and temporary patches go on the pocket.

This is IAW the inspection sheet.

CMF

re: Cubs and Webs- Insignia Guide, p4, 'Temproary Insignia'- "The Progress Towards Ranks or Webelos compass points emblem may be worn by a CS or WS suspended from the right pocket button IN ADDITION TO A SEWN-ON TEMPOARY PATCH" (Emphasis mine) What you CANNOT do, in any level, is have a sewn-on patch AND a buttoned on temp patch at the same time.

re: Tot'n Chip (or Whittlin' Chip or Fireman) patch- this is often a 'flap-shaped' patch that I have heard of SOME camps 'authorizing' for wear on the Cub or Webelos pocket flap- many Scouts seem to wear two- one on each flap. I have heard the justification was so leaders would easily know who was authorized to do certain things at camp.

While I would not contradict a camp master, this would normally be a normal temp patch.

A campmaster has no more authority to designate insignia placement than a Scoutmaster, meaning none.

Totin' Chip requirements are part of earning the 2nd Class rank. That badge, or higher, gives the same privledges as the Totin' Chip.

re: Campmaster authority... BSA Rules and Regulations, Article X, Section 4, Clause 11 "Special Local Badges and Insignia" says that a council may indeed authorize special badges in accordance with the other rules AND the authorization of the BSA.

Insofar as the pocket flap patches I have seen are primarily designed for Cubs (Whittlin' and Fireman), and would thus not conflict with any other flap insignia, I would certainly assume that any Campmaster that says it is OK has the word from on high, at least for the purposes of the camp.

I agree that the need for a Tot'n'Chip patch is far weaker, but I ain't going to assume that no one anywhere might not do it anyway!

If a council designed and authorized a patch, or adopted an existing patch as being official, that would be a council decision, not a campmaster decision. And the patch must first be approved by BSA national.

Personally, I think these patches conflict with another provision in the regulations that "members should make every effort to keep their uniforms neat and uncluttered."

• 3 weeks later...

I quoted them right out of the first pages of the Insignia Guide (you'll find it in almost any edition of the booklet).

I had a complete copy of the Rules and Regulations that I found in a pile of odd stuff at our local Scout Shop years ago. I don't know if they still print them that way though.

In our Troop, newish scouts wear the Totin' Chip on the right pocket flap. Some wear Firem'n Chit there, and some sew the Firm'n Chit on, and then sew the Totin' Chip on top of the Firm'n Chit!

Others leave the patches at home because there's no place to put them cause' they're in OA.