Campaign hat on a Boy Scout?

My son a Web II is crossing over into Boy Scouts next month and as part of ceremony we are using my father's old campaign hat to represent the Boy Scouts. My son wishes to continue to wear the hat as part of his class A's. I heard both yes and no on this subject can anyone clear the issue up?

John

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that it's absolutely wonderful that your son wants to continue the family Scouting tradition in this manner. As far as I know, it's an official part of the Scout uniform. The rule is that if a uniform part was official, it remains official.

I know of at least one current Troop that REQUIRES its Scouts to wear the campaign hat.

Personally, I think that they look great. WAY better than the silly tractor caps National pushes.

Again, congratulations on having such a wonderful son. Most kids turn their noses up at family and Scout traditions. His attitude speaks volumes for the way he's being raised.

- Oren

Now the next question, the hat does not have the pin anymore so which pin can he wear? I thought the adult universal pin looks close to the orginal, but the First class pin says youth only. Can he wear the First Class pin if he has not earned it?

So many questions

John

Your son can wear whatever rank pin he currently has earned on the campaign hat. That is the way it was done way back when. At the council office near me you can buy large rank pins to go on the campaign hat. My son wanted one too, I purchased him one as a present when he earned his Eagle.

From the Insigna Guidebook "As part of the First Class EMphasis, the large senadard metal pin, No. 00017, has been reinstates as an option to the cloth First Class rank badge. The large pin also may be worn only by boys on the front of the campaign hat, No. 501, and the expedition hat, No. 637. Adults may wear the adult universal hat pin, No. 50150, on the campaign hat and the expedition hat. No other pins may be worn on official headger of the BSA."

In other words, the only pin youths can wear on the campaign hat is the First Class pin

Don't you love all this arcana?

I note that the expedition hat is "approved as an activity hat." Does this mean that it is part of the activity uniform? If not, what is the point of restricting what pins can be placed upon it?

Another question: can a boy (or adult) wear the campaign hat with no pin at all?

I don't think it has changed, but I believe your son should, at least to regular troop meetings or parades in which the troop participates, wear the hat decided on by the troop (hopefully the boys got to vote on it). If he is attending other things by himself (such as Junior Leader Training, Order of the Arrow lodge/chapter functions), he could probably wear the campaign hat.

Perhaps the troop has not decided on headgear; in which case he is probably OK as well.

jack

Boy does Troop 17 look great or what!!!

I wish my Troop looked that good in uniform... one of the things I am going to put on my Wood badge ticket!

Great job Troop 17..love the Campaign hats..I wear one, it really adds a classic touch or tradition to the Troop.

Jerry

Scoutmaster

• 2 months later...

Yes 17 does indeed look sharp there.

However looking some other photos at their site it looks like some of the older boys are wearing military style ribbons above their left pocket. What's up with that?

ronvo

> In other words, the only pin youths can wear on the campaign hat is

> the First Class pin

Don't worry about the so-called "Insignia Guidebook." Nobody pays attention to that stuff except cranky four-beaders and people on the Internet.

Look at the Scouts wearing hit pins in the official Boy Scout Handbook, and you will see that they are ALL wearing the adult hat pin :-/

"Don't worry about the so-called "Insignia Guidebook." Nobody pays attention to that stuff except cranky four-beaders and people on the Internet."

What's a "four-beader"?

I pay attention to the Insignia Guide. Why not?

Two-beader - Wood Badge course graduate (finished ticket too)

Three-beader - Wood Badge staffer (satisfactory completed staffing of a Wood Badge course)

Four-beader - Wood Badge course director

Five-beader - any takers? (it DOES exist).(This message has been edited by acco40)