I have an Eagle pin, the one presented to the Scout. The pin does not have the BSA across the eagle's chest. I am trying to find out how old this might be and why the BSA was dropped. Any direction in finding where to research would be appreciated.

I received my Eagle in 1970 and the lapel pin, mother's pin and medal were sans "BSA". Shortly thereafter, (like within months) the BSA was added to the medal, but I can't say if the pins were also changed.

Thank you. It is the Eagle medal that I have. Do you know if it was just 1970 or if they went back further. It surprises me I couldn't find a history on the web of the evolution of these kinds of things.

I understand it is the medal (ribbon) not the pocket patch you are asking about. I earned my Eagle medal in 1959 and still have it. There is no BSA on the front of it and the back of the eagle is flat. But The eagle on my son's medal from 2002 has the BSA on the front and a contour with detailed feathers on the back.

I was curious when I first examined his medal and found a webpage showing pictures and descriptions of the various versions of the Eagle medal, but when I searched for it today couldn't find it with Google... just the page for the patch already cited. But I remember there were different vendors making the medal and various minor changes over the years. Even for small parts, for example the knot hanging from the scroll on my son's is a detailed cast metal piece looking like a rope, but on my old one it is an actual shiny silver wire loop tied into a knot.

There were medals earlier than mine with BSA on the eagle, I think the very first medals had it, but for some reason the BSA was left off on other versions... if someone finds that webpage with the pictures it would be interesting to see the details, as I believe there were four or five different suppliers over the history of the medal.(This message has been edited by KA6BSA)

I happen to come across this discussion list and I think you will be pleased to know that I will have my web site on Eagle Scout medals completed by April 1 and will link it in for the scouting community at that time. You will be able to find the link on my BSA Badge History site - http://www.sageventure.com/history/

Yours in Scouting,

Craig Murray

Webmaster, BSA Badge History