If the uniform was from Bangladesh and cheaper,?

The Marine Corps shirts are made by Rutter Rex here in the good ol' USA. So now my response to the original question is this: They don't have to be made in Bangladesh to be cheaper!!! I realize that there need to be markups associated with these kinds of things - but really, 100%? I'm using the 100% figure assuming that the $16 that I saw on the military site is at cost. Also, the fabric for the Marine Corps shirt appears to be much more durable (thicker) and the stitches are a lot more heavy-duty.

John in KC,

The statute does not give BSA the authority to wear "a" distinctive uniform. What is does is give the BSA the authority to wear a uniform that approximates a military uniform. Any group can wear a distinctive uniform if they wish, it is part of your Constitutional rights to free association and freedom of expression. The limit is in place to prevent 'impersonating' military individuals. The BSA is simply given a waiver of sorts by this part of the code to account for the fact that the BSA uniform appears to be similar to a military uniform (especially to those who are not well-versed in such things)

Also, the code does not prohibit wearing components of a military uniform unless they are "distinctive". This has been held to be things like the rank insignia and US emblems on the uniform.

The only thing really preventing anyone from using the Marine uniform shirt rather than an official BSA shirt is that it is not exactly the same and would not be a BSA uniform.

Torribug has it right. The BSA article is inferior in quality and higher in price. Personally, I could care less if it is made here or elsewhere (though there are some countries that I prefer to boycott). Since that point has already been resolved, I digress.

Word of warning, not all US military uniform items are made here. I remember that when the Army switched to the new Berets for everyone policy, they were made in China. Any rumors that this had anything to do with the Chinese support for the Clinton candidacy were never proven.

Torveaux, you were absolutely correct when you mentioned the beret covers being manufactured in China. I remember when they were issued to the Guard. They were (are) cheap little things, too! I think they sold for $3. Don't hold their form very well.

That's why I wanted to make sure that the MC shirts were made in USA before I publically complained about the price vs. quality of the BSA shirts. After much googling, I actually saw a summary of the MC contract - the manufacturing company HQ is in Metairie, LA, with work to commence in Columbia, Missouri.

I looked at the tag in my BSA uniform, but it doesn't say who the manufacturer is. However, there is a BSA logo on the tag. Can anyone tell me if the manufacturer of the BSA shirts is the BSA or is it an unnamed supplier?

I wonder is the extra cost of the uniforms (profit part) goes towards financing the BSA.

The uniforms maybe a little pricey but Americans waste more money on their toys (adult and juvenile) to be complaining about the price of one shirt and pair of pants!

Mark Maranto

"I wonder is the extra cost of the uniforms (profit part) goes towards financing the BSA."

At our FOS presentation there was a pie chart showing revenues. A piece of the revenue pie is "product sales", which includes everything sold through the Scout Shop. I think it is 3% or 4% of total revenue.

I don't mind paying for Scout uniforms, literature, and other stuff, even if the price is higher, because I know that product sales help support BSA. When I make an FOS donation, I get nothing in return. That is to say I cannot wear my donation like a pair of Scout socks. So if the socks cost more than Walmart socks I don't care because I know that the extra cost goes to support our organization. Besides, as a leader, everything I buy for Scouts is tax deductible as a charitable contribution.

I am not sure where you got the $16 proce tag for a marine Corps shirt from. If it was a site geared to selling to the public, then the shirt may be "Mil-spec" but not US Military. Most "Mil-spec" shirts that are sold to the public are made in Central America and are NOT used by the US Military - and are cheap.

If the site was geared toward selling to military personel, I would guess that government subsidies come into play.

Regardless, Military uniforms are produced in substantially greater numbers than BSA uniforms which can also account for the cheaper price.

The reason there is no manufactures name in the uniform is that periodically the BSA puts the uniform parts out for bid. That is why the uniform seems to change in minor ways. The changes come from the way the supplier interprets the specs.

The brand is BSA, just as if you go in Target and buy their Cherokee Brand of clothes, the shirts come from differant suppliers and the pants from other ones six months down the line it will change.

Even if you buy a name brand-- like Nike, they have different suppliers and manufactures all over the world, your Nike most likely is made in a different country than your sons Nike.

• 2 weeks later...

I like Sam Walton thinking. You have a product that you have a 50% mark-up. You change the mark-up to 25% and and pass the savings on to your customer. You sell twice as many pieces, and your net profit is the same amount. So what did you accomplish? You have twice as many scouts and leaders in uniform. I do not think the actural cost is as high as we may think. I think its the markup that National takes to bring in a proffit target.

Two things, First while your Walmart model was true in its early days, business plans change as businesses grow. Now because of Walmarts buying power due to their shear numbers and ability to move large volumes of merchandise, they are able to negotiate down the cost of goods from the manufacturers and wholesale distributors. Walmart is notorious for dictating low profit margins they will allow their suppliers in return for the opportunity to have their goods moved in quantity through Walmart.

Walmart is making as much profit if not more from the consumer than any other retailer by paying less for the product from the manufacturer. So to think that their good fortune in having lower costs are being passed on to you with lower gross profit is simply not true. Walmart is not your benefator in those low prices the people to thank are the manufactures who make less profit so to reduce the cost of their goods they move their plants to Mexico or overseas where they can take advantage of lower production costs.

Secondly,

I have found through a contact in a BSA store that the average profit margin on the official field uniform for the three programs is approx 15%. That is way below standard retail pricing. They do however make up for that on the sale of other BSA knick knacks.

Rumors and gossip are always more fun to know than facts, has anyone else noticed that?