• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe we should start a new topic.

If the earring is not removed, it will grow over an make a large ulcerous lump that will need to be periodically lanced by a knowledgeable professional. I knew one Scout that had just such a growth and was unaware of the need to have timely intervention. His whole head puffed up and he wound up on one of those shows where they get several medical types to remake him. He now looks presentable and did well on his last BOR. Hardly anyone noticed. :)

FB

Here's another little imaginary scene on this topic:

SM: So, Joe, are you all ready for your Star Board?

Joe: I think so, yes.

SM: Joe, before you go in, I'd like to talk to you about something. As you know, Mr. X always participates in our Boards of Review. He founded this troop 30 years ago, and he's done a lot for all of us over the years.

Joe: You're right, he has.

SM: Well, Mr. X has trouble accepting the idea of a Scout with an earring. Personally, I have no trouble with it, there's nothing wrong with it, and we certainly have no rule against it. But I wonder if you'd be willing to take it out, just for the Board of Review, for Mr. X's sake.

Joe: Sure, I can do that.

SM: Thanks, Joe, I knew you'd understand. Oh, he'll also ask you if you have a clean handkerchief.

Joe: I remember that from First Class.

SM: If you don't have one, I can lend you one.

Joe: No, we all know to bring one.

SM: Good--I know you'll do great.

Of course, Mr. X has to earn this kind of consideration.

I should think that earrings would have a lot to do with the troop's written policy. If you accept the boy into the troop with an earring and the policy says no. You cannot tell him to remove it but by signing the policy statement no additional holes should appear and that should be made clear.

I should think that earrings would have a lot to do with the troop's written policy. If you accept the boy into the troop with an earring and the policy says no. You cannot tell him to remove it but by signing the policy statement no additional holes should appear and that should be made clear.

He absolutely should have to remove the earring. Members of the bor should be able to determine personal jewelry and appearance.

No earrings! Oh, and no timex watches. I hate times watches, they look cheap. If the scout doesn't have a good watch he should just take his watch off. And crew cuts. I like crew cuts. Every scout needs to get a high and tight haircut before he comes in. The shorter the better. I hate the way mousse looks in a boys hair. Flat tops go good in any occassion. Class rings, don't even get me started on guys wearing rings who aren't married. What is with all this jewelry anyway. Why in my day you didn't see boys with all this 'bling'.

If boys don't look exactly the way I am comfortable with seeing them look then they can kiss their bor good bye.

Rock and Roll?? Savages I tell you, they are all savages...............

Please folks... just ask the boy about scouting and quit trying to control them.

I've got a novel idea. Why not ask the Scout, during the BOR, if he feels he is "neat in appearance" and let him make the value judgement?

My older son does things to try and please me. My younger son does things to try and "get my goat." Guess who is my favorite? Well, my younger son takes after me and my older son his mother. I guess that is why I married my wife! :-)

Wearing an earing in and of itself is harmless. Wearing it for the sole purpose of getting a rise out of Mr. X at a BOR is not Scout like. Trying to figure out why a Scout is wearing an earing is dangerous territory that we should not waste our time in exploring.(This message has been edited by acco40)

Was the Scout respectful? Does the Scout know how to live the Scout Oath, Laws? Does he know the information for the rank he is sitting in front of th BOR for? These are the only questions that need to be covered in a BOR. Had an Eagle come to a BOR with a rather strange color of blue hair. Could care less. Dye it pink for all I care. My intrest is in is he a Good Scout.

Need to talk to the person on the board and if they can't abide by the rules then they don't sit on another board.

• 3 weeks later...