• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, if the guy wanted to stick a spear through his head from ear to ear and have it hang out on both sides and dangle a pair of earrings down to the floor, nobody should have said a word to him. As long as he was in full uniform with all badges correctly in place and wasn't going out to play soccer where one might get hurt while wearing such apparel, then he was within the Scout regulations. *Given the present state of soccer, he should avoid it anyway. Also, yes, BOR helps as an exercise for future interviews but he wasnt there for that either. Also, my personal opinion on such things is not relevant, so I dont get a vote.

The leader should obediently make a humble apology to the boy and the family, Campaign hat firmly in hand, head up and brave.

I still wish the Scout would have chosen to speak for himself instead of leaving and quitting. He would have been turned down for the indiscretion and then he could have appealed the verdict. He most likely would have been vindicated and he would have helped the unit/patrol to turn a bad policy into things of the 21st century. This is basic to participating citizenship and is the way to change things in our country. In other places, change doesn't come so easily.

FB

I guess I'm of the minority on this issue on here, but I agree with the actions of the board member towards this Scout's so called "attire". I guess some of you would eventually defend a lad to wear a skirt and make-up if they wanted... they might as well move on over and start selling cookies instead of popcorn. He should look like a Boy Scout and not a Girl Scout! If it's not in the rules about jewelry, it should be.

I would feel much better if the earrings had a dainty fleur de les or lily embossed in gold and I agree with KS, the skirt should be official and not a cheap knock-off. He should wear the official high top BSA socks with it and a pair of shoes to accentuate and/or match his overall wardrobe. Wearing proudly the official BSA uniform is one method that leads to the Aims of Scouting that we all agree on.

Since we are not voting, being in the minority or majority carries little actual value here.

FB

Fuzzy Bear, that was an OUTSTANDING idea! If BSA actually came out with a line of piercing jewelry (with official insignia, of course) it would settle the hash on this issue, provide a new outlet of expression for the boys, AND a new revenue source.

FB justs wants to wear the manly woodbadge emblem earring. What says Scouting better than an axe in your ear??

I definitely don't think the fleur-de-lis needs to be dainty, though. The young men of the new millenium need sensitive, yet rugged, body piercers.

And choice of gold or silver - some skin tones just can't carry off metallics as well as others!!!

Actually, . . . if we make them for the Cubs, then we can mandate that they wear a different one each year!!! (Just in case I haven't said something along those lines in the last 24 hours!!)

:)

jd(This message has been edited by johndaigler)

Although I can't say what was going through the scout's mind, it could have been the following:

"When I joined this troop there was all this stuff about how it's boy-led and fun, and suddenly here I am in some kind of inquisition with yet another adult who is trying to push me around over something my own parents think is perfectly OK. Forget this!"

"... and then he could have appealed the verdict. He most likely would have been vindicated and he would have helped the unit/patrol to turn a bad policy into things of the 21st century."

Yes, that's the way it's supposed to work in theory. In practice however, the folks on the district and council appeals board may well have the same bias as the unit scouter and/or be buddies with him.

In another thread I have recounted the story of the 13 year old Eagle candidate who had completed all requirements but failed his EBoR because of added requirements; he appealed to council and was denied. He decided not to appeal to National and is now working on a SECOND Eagle project, when the first, IMO, was perfectly acceptable for a 13 year old.

My two cents:

The Adult leader was wrong; he was letting his personal standards take over.

The Scout and Parent were wrong. What about getting the Adult in a discussion and letting him explain why he/she did what he/she did?

Personally, I think ear-rings and the such are out of bounds. Maybe I'm "Old School", but only Pirates, Gypsys and, how shall I put it, Men with limp wrists(?) wear them, But I don't project my feelings on others. If they want to be pirates ETC, that's their lookout!

Now as for skirts!

Could be the answer to Hunts Crusade about Pants! A kilt in Boy Scout Green! Cool in the summer (if worn in true Scot fashion). Or if a Wood BAdger, could be in the Maclaren Tarten! Or at least, the spooran (read fanny pack) in Maclaren!)

Got to look better or some than the shorts!

About this earring situation......I am the CC for a Troop and a Pack, my two sons have earrings.....and so do their father (and he is the CM and SM for the Troop and Pack). I have no problem with anything that will make the boy "stand out". I just ask our scouts to remember their oath, their law, make sure they wear their "full Class A" uniform properly and to always remember who they represent.

Let's look at the facts. "One reviewer" disapproved of the ear ring.

Now, as a SM who has been trained out the proverbial ying-yang - one of my pet peeves is BOR committee members who don't get trained, don't wear the uniform and don't know the program. There are many. I find it reprehensible that some committee members don't wear the full uniform during a BOR. But, we are in the business of Scouting for the boys, not for the adults. One of our methods is adult association. News flash - not all adults are perfect. Forget about the adults in this situation for a minute. This experience should have been used to educate the Scout. If I was the ASM/father - I would have had a long discussion with my son. He needs to learn that their are SOB adults out there. He needs to learn how to deal with them. Walking away, quitting, etc. is not the best response. What has he done for the next boy who may not meet the dress code for that individual? I think this is a classic case of cutting off one's nose to spite his face.

In my day, long hair was the issue du jour. We've got beyond that (I hope). What if a youth showed up with red tints in his black hair, black finger nail polish, black lip stick, an eye brow piercing, etc.? Personally, I wouldn't have an immediate problem with it but would wonder why the youth feels such a need to "stand out." Sometimes the reasons are very innocuous and at other times very troubling. As a SM, I would hope I would know something about this kid as an individual.(This message has been edited by acco40)

We also have had an ear ring event. The first time the committee requested removal during the BOR and the scout complied. We told him he may wear it during any scouting event EXCEPT BOR. We now inform new scouts and parents of this REQUEST when they first arrive should we see the need. Again this can only be a strong request. We just approch it as a set fact before they ask questions. Again the scout does wear the ring during all other events and we only have to request removal for the BOR with no further problems.

The scout was correct to leave the BOR until a later date with different adult members, but to leave the troop was taking the far step to get out of scouting.