Question ... I just saw the ad for Badge Magic in this month Scouting. One word .... sweeeet ... if it works as advertised. What it is, if you have not seen it, is an adhesive for the various badges! Has anyone tried it yet? Is it as sweet (all right ... cool) at it seems? Does it beat needle and thread? Does it stay on? Is it easily removed with WD-40? Boy, this will prevent me from pricking my fingers to death! I understand that it is suppose to be sold in the scout shop. At $7.50 a pop, it might be worth it to try for the heck of it!

www.BadgeMagic.com

I'm not give the product a plug, but I'm just being curious.

1Hour

ps: Ooops, I suddenly realized that I should have posted in the Uniform forum. My apologies.

(This message has been edited by OneHour)

I use it on my son's uniform shirts and mine. It works pretty good. The only problem I seen so far is that after some washes the edges of the badge seems to come off. Maybe if I wash the shirts in the washer by themselves and put them in the dryer by themselves maybe the stuff will hold better. Didn't get to take any patches off yet so I cannot comment on how easy it is to remove.

But this stuff is WAY better then the Girl Scout Iron-Ons patches. One wash and the patches are peeling off. :-(

I am thinking of using badgemagic on my daughter's brownie uniform.

YIS,

Chris

It works pretty well. I have noticed also after several washings that the edges of the patches are coming up--especially the larger patches. I think the ideal approach would be to use this product to place the patches and then do at least some stitching to hold them down. I suspect for some uses--like merit badge patches on a sash--that this stuff alone would be good enough. (I haven't tried to remove a patch yet.)

I have it on both my and my son's uniforms. It works well. My son's is completely badge magic. The only problem I see is the council strip and numerals are peeling a little around the edge after 2 months. The instructions say to put some more adhesive around the edges if it starts to wear. I would say sew on you permanent sleeve patches and save the badge magic for temporary patches, advancement patches, or any patch on the front/pocket areas. I have used it for Quality Unit, square knots, and temporary patch on my uniform and am pleased.

I don't like the Badge Magic "glue" stuff that they've carried for years. If you remove a patch, good luck getting that stuff off. And, I've had problems with patches peeling up as well.

They've got a new thing that I'm trying out. It's the badge magic double-stick stuff. You cut out a pattern to match the patch and iron it on. So far, it works pretty well. The council strip has come up on the edges while hanging on a hanger. I'll probably go back and stitch up the sides a little to hold that one on. I do not know what will happen if I have to remove a patch. It may suffer from the same problem as the glue.

Great feedbacks so far. I also noticed that they have the adhesive hemming tape as well. Has anyone used it as well? My wife would love it if it stays on, especially for our 5 years old's pants.

1Hour

I used this on my son's uniform. It held the small badges on well. The larger ones, espeically the CSP tended to peel at the ends. When removed, it left a mark that does not wash out.

For me, I'm sticking to needle and thread.

Anybody want to buy half a can? :)

BSAChaplain, I thought that these things come in sheets for the badges with double adhesive sides. What can are ya talking about? The instruction from their website indicated that to remove the badge all that one has to do is to spray WD-40 on the back of the badge to remove. Even if it leaves a smudge, wouldn't another badge goes in its place? I'm with davideagle89. I'm sewing the permanent ones. The short term ones might benefit from the use of this (rank, temp badges).

1Hour

I had put my quality unit patch on my shirt with badge magic. However, I put it too low on the sleeve and now need to move it up. I will let you know how the removal process works. Instructions say to spray the back with WD-40 and then wash. Also, sending it to the dry cleaners will remove the adhesive. I will post my results.

It was easy to remove, but did require a couple of extra steps. After spraying the inside of the sleeve behind the patch, I was then able to peel off the patch. There was a small amount of adhesive left on the shirt, which I brushed off with a paper towel. The patch was very sticky. I washed the shirt and when it came out of the wash, it had a dark colored stain where the patch was. I used some spot remover with a brush and worked over the area and washed again. This time it came out ok.

• 2 weeks later...

The WD-40 method may not be the best choice to remove the patch. I have removed unit numbers, a square knot and an asst. cm patch. I was left with a sticky mess. I got my instruction out and followed them to the letter. The WD-40 did not get rid of the glue it just softened it. My shirt now has glue in several places from washing it. I am sending it to the dry cleaners now to see if that method works. I will post results on dry cleaning.

Dry cleaning would be the preferred method to remove the adhesive from Badge Magic. The shirt was completely free of adhesive. Be sure to let your dry cleaner know that the patches will come off when cleaned. WD-40 leaves a bit of a mess and and odor that doesn't come out on the first couple of washes. I love not having to sew and it does go on fast.