Pants: dorky or uncomfortable?

I think the pants are okay and the ones I had when I was boy where great and still are. Did my troop wear our uniform when we where camping? The answer is NO! None of use wanted to mess them up. We look at our uniforms as dress uniform for meeting & church. I never ware out any uniform pants I had when I was a boy. Now, I did out grow them a couple of time.

Mark Maranto

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I do have the cotton pants. They are a dress cut, with double welt pockets, a waist with no elastic, and dress pant pockets in the front. There are no side pockets.

They wrinkle easily, although they look sharp when pressed until you sit down. In the out of doors, they are very much like the pants I wore in the 1970's. They dry relatively quickly, but forget about keeping the crease.

I prefer the poly-wool pants. They are the same cut as the cotton pants and are tough to wrinkle unless you do it on purpose. They're not ideal for outdoor use -- they are labeled dry clean only.

Just to point out a bit of trivia:

The BSA does have a dress uniform. It's for adults and involves a blue blazer (there's an official one) with a BSA tie, white shirt and gray (there are official) slacks or skirt worn with a universal emblem.

Most people associate the dress uniform with professionals or executive board members, but they are not restricted to that. It's just that few other than the aforementioned will buy them.

Unc.

• 1 month later...

Having spent 7 years, and 4 summers after that at a scout camp in those pants, let me tell ya... They grow on you :-D

The fabric is really durable (for middle and high school I only had to get new ones because I out grew them, not because they've worn out. And even then it was rare because they were really easy to hem to the right length- sewing MB anyone? :-D). Whenver the fabric gets wet, it dries SO quickly. And they most always look good, even for being piled up not-so-neated in the corner of a room, then thrown on 5 minutes before leaving for the scout meeting (guilty here :-D)

They're very easy to keep clean while camping, and therefore looking good even it the wearer reaks to high heaven :-D

And from being a lifeguard at a boy scout camp pool for more than a few summers, they are the absolute best thing to use for that close floatation requirement. (hands down)

-Curtis :-)

My son wants a pair of the pants and shorts. His reason, he wants the full uniform. He also wants a campaign hat because he doesn't like baseball caps. He has had a pair in the past and didn't find them uncomfortable.

Although I own a pair of pants I almost never wear them. I can't imagine wearing them on campouts. I would be afraid of ruining them, and the pockets are way too small to fit my compass, pocket knife, box of matches, and keys to the trailer that I usually carry.

I also don't wear them to meetings. This is mostly due to lazyness. You can't put on the Scout pants in the three minute car ride to the school (but you can put on the uniform shirt/neckerchief in that time). Our SM is the only one who consitantly wears them. The rest of us only wear them for COH.

• 3 weeks later...

The cut of the pants are uncomfortable, the pockets are too small to be functional, the fabric is inferior to other available hiking pants, and the cost is excessive.

I'm familiar with uniforms from 28-years in the service. I've never paid as much for a pair of uniform pants as I did when I bought my Scoutmaster pants. I'd rather buy a pair of commercial "Columbia" or "North Face" pants and give a tax-deductible contribution to the Scout District then waste money on the Official Scout Pants. That seems to be a contradiction to the Scout Law of being "Thrifty."

As my son and I shopped for what he needs for Philmont, we weren't shopping at the Scout Shop. The quality isn't there and neither is the value.

With hiking and camping as popular as it has become, with commercial competition to produce a better product, the BSA needs to apply the Scout Laws to the Official Uniform and adopt more practical uniforms such as:

1. Columbia's Omni-Dry Venture Convertible Cargo Pants and Shorts

2. Columbia's Challenger Pants

3. Columbia's Cliff Lake Shorts

4. Columbia's Roc Shorts

5. Mountain Hardwear's Convertible Pants

6. North Face's Meridian Convertible Pants

7. Morth Face's Meridian Cargo Shorts

8. Campmor Trekmor Convertible Pants

Many inner city would be scouters are excluded because of the expensive, impractical uniforms.

I've said my piece.

Keep in mind the intended use of the Boy Scout uniform. It is not designed and not intended for camping or Philmont treks. One would not wear high tech hiking clothes to a court of honor or a troop meeting. The uniform is perfect for the activities for which it is intended.

No one is excluded from anything because of the uniform or lack thereof.

As a youth, I remember playing baseball in the summer. All we needed was a glove and maybe a cap.

Today, my son has to have a full uniform and each summer, the uniform may change. After playing in different leagues, it seemed the drive for a "major league appearance" came from the egos of the parents than from the needs of the kids.

It seems the Scout Uniform is going in the same direction. As one writer described, the Class A Uniform is for "Parlor" Scouts, Board of Reviews or Court of Honors.

In the Army, I had to buy Dress Greens and Dress Blues. A lot of money spent for uniforms I rarely wore. As for promotion ceremonies, they were conducted in BDU's as were Change of Command Ceremonies.

In looking at the commercially available hiking pants, there are many that look as nice as the Offical Scout Pants, but are more comfortable, more practical, and less expensive.

One Assistant Scoutmaster stated that in his previous Troop, if the Scout did not come in uniform, he was sent home. If the Scout could not get to the meeting on time, he was sent home. Both of these positions miss the point of providing an opportunity for the Scout.

One person responded that the Scout Uniform was "not designed and not intended for camping or Philmont treks. One would not wear high tech hiking clothes to a court of honor or a troop meeting. The uniform is perfect for the activities for which it is intended."

Who is the uniform for? Is it for the Scout or the parents?

Why does an 11-18 year old need a "Dress Uniform?" The Scout Meeting agenda suggesting inclusion of some physical activities. Who enjoys playing in their Dress Uniform.

Let's put the fun back into Scouting. Let's have a practical, comfortable uniform that looks as nice as the Official Uniform.

Thank you.

Not Dorky or uncomfortable...

I have two pair of the pants... one the old style, looks more like slacks, the other the new style (available at the Scout shop).

I also have a pair of the shorts (new style).

I find them comfortable and not at all unappropriate for camping.

I usually wear a pair of wool pants (same color as the Scout pants) when we are camping, but I do wear the shorts and other pants to.

BDU's are discouraged by the BSA.

IMO- I think BDUs make the Scout uniform look very shabby. I have seen some other Troops wear them at Camporee etc. To me it does not present a neat appearance and should not be apart of Scouting.

On the other hand if you can still find a good servicable pair of OG 109 pants (the old Jungle Fatigue pants) that are solid green, I could probably let that go on campouts only.

In my Troop BDUs are not allowed. No Army clothing is allowed for wear during Troop functions. So basically never.

We are Boy Scouts not wanna be's.

**disclaimer- I spent 20 years and 9 months in BDUs/DCUs so I have a love for that uniform and seeing it on Scouts is not appropriate.

Jerry

SM

BINGO!!!

FScouter, you and I are at the polar opposites of the uniforming (construction, fit, finish) spectrum:

You said "One would not wear high tech hiking clothes to a court of honor or a troop meeting."

I believe Supply Division is grossly negligent in NOT developing a uniform that is high tech, high-wear, and can be worn seasonally in the field as well as to troop meetings and COH.

Trevorum mentioned BP and "Parlour Scouting." That's the uniform Supply Division has saddled us with IMO. The fabrics are wrong for outdoor activities. The finish and wearability are wrong for outdoor activities. The fit is marginal for outdoor activities.

My $0.04, adjusted for inflation.

"And that is precisely why scouts have adopted the notion of a 'Class B' to use as a field uniform. Our current 'Class A' uniform is designed for what Baden-Powell disparagingly referred to as 'Parlour Scouting'. I know of very, very few units who actually hike, camp, and squat over campfires in the official uniform. I'm sure there are some units out there who do, but they are in a minority."

The problem is that the so-called activity uniform requires one to wear the exact same pair of pants. Changing from the tan field shirt to a tee shirt and from the trucker cap to the expedition hat isn't going to solve any problems with the pants. I don't think that anyone but Bob White is going to think that the properties of his pants have changed simply from having changed his shirt and hat.

Just kidding.. ;-)

How can you argue with CS's post. The prices for the BSA clothing are outrageous (though I've spent it and ask my boys' parents to spend it). The BSA should have clothing that everyone WANTS to own, with people buying BSA pants because they its better than they can find elsewhere (with a better price).

If for-profit companies can make good quality pants that others want, certainly a not-for-profit can figure out a way to do the same at the same price (or less).

(Wishing for the first time that I was in Canada...)

In an effort to change the uniform or the uniform policy through Official channels, here's the address to the Supply Division.

Boy Scouts of American

Supply Division

National Distribution Center

P. O. Box 7143

Charlotte, NC 28241-7143

RE: Changing the Scout Pants

Dear BSA:

As a former Boy Scout, retired Army Officer, and now Scoutmaster, I am comfortable wearing a uniform. What is the procedure to address changing the current Official Boy Scout Pants?

A search at http://www.scouter.com/members/default.asp reveals that many other Scouters are displeased with the cut, design, pockets, material, and price of the Official Pants. When I bought my Scoutmaster uniform, I had never paid as much for a pair of trousers as I did in making the $55.00 purchase. Since I only wear these pants for 1-1/2 hours on Monday nights, I was disappointed that after 9-months (36 meetings or 54-hours of wear), the pants are knitting up. Since commercial manufacturers like Columbia and North Face make hiking/camping pants of varying materials for prices much less than what the Official Boy Scout Pants sell for, are violating the Scout Law of Thrifty? If only one manufacturer is producing the Official Pants, we have eliminated any competition between uniform manufacturers to produce a better uniform at a better price.

The Army offers uniforms in varying materials based on the assignment local. Similarly, the Boy Scouts could offer Official Pants of varying materials depending on whether the Scout is hiking in the summer on the Appalachian Trail, in the winter where there is no trail, or in some other conditions where some type of convertible pants or shorts are desired.

What is the procedure to get the BSA to consider a uniform change? As one letter at Scouter.com stated, todays uniform is for Parlor Scouts so they can look good at a Board of Review or a Court of Honor. Another letter stated the Official Uniform was not designed for camping or trekking at Philmont.

Thank you,

If you paid $55 for a pair of pants, you got ripped off. The current price of pants for adults up to size 50 is $45.80. Boy sizes are $37.35. Are you trying to bolster your case by padding the numbers? Or did you splurge and get the expensive wool pants?

I'll be getting a new pair soon. I own 2 pair, one bought in 1999, the other about 2 years later. I wear the pants for every Scouting activity except for backpacking. Sometimes up to 3 nights per week. The first is starting to look a little ragged. I've gotten good use out of them, but I tend to take care of my equipment.

One night a week for 9 months?